Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Monkey News

Default led zeppelin

i know it's totally unoriginal and cliche to absolutely love this band. but god damn it i fucking love this band. i grew up with this band. my parents loved this band. i doubt i will never get tired of this band. all the music and bands that i have discovered on my own and helped to define me loved this band just the same.

john bonham is BY FAR my most revered musician. the things he could do can just get into your spine and make you wanna fuck your brains out. the rhythm, that groove. totally intoxicating. increadibly simple and increadibly compicated at the same time. and he kept getting better and better while his band mates were starting to burn out. too bad we couldn't get to see what else he had up is sleeves. i think if he had not died and the band stayed together they would have sucked and ebarrassed themselves during the 80's but would have had a MASSIVE resurgence during the 90's. that would have been great to see.

a lot of people don't like them because of how over the top they were and how much music they "stole". but they are by far the most influencial rock band of all time. wich is good and bad. so many imitators that were corny as shit. but they definetly deserved their place in the upper echelon of music.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:23 AM
The best mayne I deed it

Default Re: led zeppelin

Nothing wrong with liking Led Zeppelin, nothing at all

excellent band

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkat View Post
boning.
your mom,
amongst the azalea bushes.

the wind cuts through the brush like a pencil-dick.
teardrops on my ballsack.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Unexplained, Myths & More

Zeppelin is rooted in the blues and I love the rock n roll blues style of music. Jimi Hendrix was a blues based musician and I love him. I get my southern blues from the Almond Brothers. Have you ever seen Dred Zeppelin? They are fun to see live and very entertaining. There is also a very good Zeppelin cover band called Zoso that tours all over. In their shows they select a concert set performed by Zeppelin and then perform it. Every show is a different set in the exact order that Led Zeppelin performed it.

James Brown had a Gulliver head on a Liliputian body & that is why he drank Bacardi.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Judge Mental

Never a massive fan but their music oozes class. I should really investigate beyond a couple of albums and best of package. Although the best of package is very strong. Sound really tight on records and IV is just a monumental album. They pretty much had everything. Awesome rhythm section, genius guitarist, and great voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
give it time, we will go in wonderous directions. mainly calling people cunts.

www.beastiemixes.com/Guy Incognito

Old 07-28-2012, 04:05 AM
Judge Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdBerglar View Post

a lot of people don't like them because of how over the top they were and how much music they "stole". but they are by far the most influencial rock band of all time. wich is good and bad. so many imitators that were corny as shit. but they definetly deserved their place in the upper echelon of music.
but they have been ripped off so much but no-ones got close really. you know its them instantly but they changed the game and left a blueprint thats been used by lots of bands but i cant think of another band that has that quality of musicians

Quote:

Old 07-28-2012, 05:25 AM
and always ...

Yes! I grew up to this band too! To say your a Zepplin fan and to mean your a zeppelin fan are two totally different things, IMO. The genius of each member is monumental. I'm so glad they never replaced John Bonham. They couldnt if they tried. Their music never seems dated to me like a lot of the bands I grew up with. I never had the chance to see a live zepplin show but I did see plant & page in 96. Jimmy page was just memorizing and plant sounded so wonderful.I remember when In thru the out door was released and at the time, it seemed like they were in need of a break. Today, of course it's right up there with all the others.

I'm not sure if they will stand the test of time with this generation though. I remember feeling so cool when I was a kid because my parents loved zepplin too. I've tried to get all 3 of my kids into them and they want nothing to do with it and make fun of me for listening to it
Old 07-28-2012, 09:40 AM
NYC Brouhaha Division

I was a massive Zeppelin fan by 5th grade. credit to beastie boys for sampling them and my big brother for weaning me on them early. my dad had the third and fourth albums on vinyl.

one of my first cassettes was In Through The Out Door. I thought Carouselambra was the shit.

saw Page/Plant in '95 and again in '98.

played in a Zeppelin cover band in NYC as the house harmonica player, because I showed up at one of their gigs once and wouldn't stop asking them to let me jam "Bring It On Home" with them...

random songs I fuckin' love include Ten Years Gone, The Rain Song, I'm Gonna Crawl, and Friends

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Last edited by YoungRemy : 07-28-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Ween, Almond Brothers
Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 AM

if it has really become uncool to love led zeppelin please shoot me.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM
and always ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
I was a massive Zeppelin fan by 5th grade. credit to beastie boys for sampling them and my big brother for weaning me on them early. my dad had the third and fourth albums on vinyl.

one of my first cassettes was In Through The Out Door. I thought Carouselambra was the shit.

saw Page/Plant in '95 and again in '98.

played in a Zeppelin cover band in NYC as the house harmonica player, because I showed up at one of their gigs once and wouldn't stop asking them to let me jam "Bring It On Home" with them...

random songs I fuckin' love include Ten Years Gone, The Rain Song, I'm Gonna Crawl, and Friends
Love to see that- Any video?
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Judge Mental

Dont tell me you guys have never gotten the led out?

Quote:

Old 07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Peace & Love

The first 25 seconds of Heartbreaker allows time to turn the volume up to 11 no matter how stoned you are.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKLqVCz8SA
I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]

Old 07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
and always ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwho View Post
The first 25 seconds of Heartbreaker allows time to turn the volume up to 11 no matter how stoned you are.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA4ever View Post
I'm not sure if they will stand the test of time with this generation though. I remember feeling so cool when I was a kid because my parents loved zepplin too. I've tried to get all 3 of my kids into them and they want nothing to do with it and make fun of me for listening to it
Kids aren't normally into parents' music. I never got into them. It's cliche, but every school dance ended with "Stairway to Heaven.". I never stayed for the entire dance (super geek here) & a classmate could not believe I was, like, 15 & never heard that song (or really any song in its entirty from them). I remember talking to him on the phone & pulling out my dad's vinyl & listening to it. It wasn't bad. But I never listened to anything else by them. At that time, I think I was in my Dylan phase.

I got in your heart & I shook you up

Old 07-28-2012, 04:12 PM

I don't think the point is about kids listening to their parents music per se. I think what is meant is that Zepplin lasted through two maybe 3 generations- correct me if I'm wrong. It's been my experience that you either like them, or you don't. I have always been a BIG fan of their music & of both RP & JP work after LZ.

Congrats on being the first person i have heard to have a Dylan phase. That's something my parents were a fan of but me not so much.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 PM
and always ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather_D View Post
Kids aren't normally into parents' music. I never got into them. It's cliche, but every school dance ended with "Stairway to Heaven.". I never stayed for the entire dance (super geek here) & a classmate could not believe I was, like, 15 & never heard that song (or really any song in its entirty from them). I remember talking to him on the phone & pulling out my dad's vinyl & listening to it. It wasn't bad. But I never listened to anything else by them. At that time, I think I was in my Dylan phase.
If all your school dances ended with Stairway To Heaven, then someone was getting into their parents music before the whole iPod thing blew up my kids were always borrowing my CDs. I'm proud to say my kids like a variety of different music- I hope that doesn't mean they are abnormal
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA4ever View Post
If all your school dances ended with Stairway To Heaven, then someone was getting into their parents music before the whole iPod thing blew up my kids were always borrowing my CDs. I'm proud to say my kids like a variety of different music- I hope that doesn't mean they are abnormal
LOL. Probably not abnormal. Maybe just never admit fully to liking it. I didn't particularly like my dad's music, particularly the Rolling Stones. As I got older, around college, I did get into the Stones. So, don't lose musical hope in your kids' tastes.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 PM
and always ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
I thought Carouselambra was the shit.
ahhh- and it still is! Listened to this all day- my house is spotless
Old 07-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Judge Mental

I first started to investigate them after comparisons were made in press when Stone Roses finally released Second Coming. Those comparisons were slightly exaggerated and the songs the roses did on that album that did sound like Led Zep were poor really but at least it made me check them out and i imgaine there will be countless bands in the future that get these comparisons and i think some kids will investigate them as i did

Quote:

Old 07-29-2012, 05:38 AM
feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I get my southern blues from the Almond Brothers.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was some sort of unfortunate auto-correct business right there.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 AM
give me head till im dead

those almond brothers were so nutty!

i was never a huge zeppelin fan. the dudes voice pierces my eardrums at too high of a decibel.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Judge Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyourprez View Post
those almond brothers were so nutty!

Bit flaky

Quote:

Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Current Member

I love Zeppelin. IV is obviously the most consistent album, but everyone has personal favourites. Like Houses of the Holy. Physical Graffiti is incredible for the most part, too.

Bonham is, for me, one of the most entertaining musicians alive or dead to listen to, no doubt. His swing was pretty seamless, and unorthodox. I like how they wrote Black Dog to have an un-danceable rhythm; it just made it even funkier.

Page getting hooked on junk is what started the end of it, though. Credit to Bonzo for bringing the later-era stuff to life, and Jonesy for stepping up, but it was never the same band once Jimmy became a smackhead.

Like Presence. Amazing in parts, but you can tell he spent two days awake doing the overdubs. It was raw but it lacked that methodical approach to production which he brought to earlier albums. By In Through the Out Door he'd plain lost his chops, and the mix on his guitar was pretty rough. Still, it's not like it's a terrible album.

I think also Jimmy Page was a visionary producer, with a few excellent solos, but I never considered him the upper echelon of guitarists. On a similar tip, I love Zeppelin's music but I don't think it transcends in the same way the Beatles (who owned the decade prior), Stones, Hendrix, Kinks, Beach Boys, D12 etc sorta do.

Completely agree with the imagined 80s slump into the 90s renaissance. I always thought Aerosmith's Pump sounded sorta like something you could imagine Zep doing after having a shit decade. Which by all indications, it would have been. Except that it was, anyway.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Unexplained, Myths & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.peachy View Post
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was some sort of unfortunate auto-correct business right there.
Ha!! I have to say it was a good old brain fart.

The Allman Brothers Band

James Brown had a Gulliver head on a Liliputian body & that is why he drank Bacardi.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Judge Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
. On a similar tip, I love Zeppelin's music but I don't think it transcends in the same way the Beatles (who owned the decade prior), Stones, Hendrix, Kinks, Beach Boys, D12 etc sorta do.

LOL.

I think some of Led Zep's stuff is pretty timeless if thats what you are on about. some bands would kill to put out stuff like they did now and it would still sound current.

Quote:

Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM
and always ...

Kid you summed that up pretty well. Except for me, Page is at the top of my list for excellent guitarist. Sad that he messed himself up a bit. I'm so glad they never had the opportunity to put out their version of "Pump". I couldn't imagine.

Big kinks, stones (pre start me up), and Aerosmith (pre Pump) fan too
Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Current Member

The Pump thing was a (relative) compliment. It's not the worst album as far as a hypothetical comparison, imo.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't say "hella"

Quote:
It's cliche, but every school dance ended with "Stairway to Heaven."
All of my school dances in junior high did, too. I've always loved Stairway, but it did seem strange to follow up three hours of music from Bell Biv Devoe, En Vogue, NKOTB, SWV, Skid Row, MC Hammer, Tone Loc, etc., with that Zeppelin ballad/anthem. I guess it's just further proof of how epic that song was to have stood the test of time like that; it even endured and stayed cool with us kids who grew up in the era of Hammerpants.

"When the Levee Breaks" is my personal fave as of late.

I once was lost but now I'm found...the music washes over and you're one with the sound.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
The Pump thing was a (relative) compliment. It's not the worst album as far as a hypothetical comparison, imo.
For me the release of Permanet Vacation kind of diminished my intrigue with Aerosmith in general. But, I'm not a fan of the Top 40 stuff to begin with.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMoi? View Post
All of my school dances in junior high did, too. I've always loved Stairway, but it did seem strange to follow up three hours of music from Bell Biv Devoe, En Vogue, NKOTB, SWV, Skid Row, MC Hammer, Tone Loc, etc., with that Zeppelin ballad/anthem. I guess it's just further proof of how epic that song was to have stood the test of time like that; it even endured and stayed cool with us kids who grew up in the era of Hammerpants.

"When the Levee Breaks" is my personal fave as of late.
Hammer pants. Hehe. That must be a regional thing- STH to close dances. We didn't have a lot of Tone Loc/BBD at my school cos it was Catholic. Wild Thing & Poison appently weren't songs the nuns liked.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't say "hella"

Quote:
We didn't have a lot of Tone Loc/BBD at my school cos it was Catholic. Wild Thing & Poison appently weren't songs the nuns liked.
Well, there was always "Do Me."

I once was lost but now I'm found...the music washes over and you're one with the sound.