Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 PM

Default New Colored Vinyl Reissues

Well, some more reissues are on their way. Thoughts? Opinions? Mac n' cheese recipes?
Old 08-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Default Re: New Colored Vinyl Reissues

Thoughts...

For US buyers...

1) The Bundles with the T-shirts are set to ship on September 26. If you buy a bundle without the tee you'll wait another 28 days to get yours. Kings Road Merch actually did collectors a solid for once by stating plainly " If you'd like other items to deliver sooner, please make two separate orders.*" So if you want it early, buy the tee, even if you just spent a chunk of cash to get the tee from the Beyond The Streets store. All of the bundles are limited to 2 copies per order.

2) The vinyl without the tees will be shipped on October 4. My guess is that these are part of the same original 2019 pressings, but if you wanted to be sure you could order the new vinyls without the tees, and probably get the same record.

3) The Root Down 2019 repressing is the most interesting from a collecting standpoint in that there are 3 variants pictured (red, green, and blue). You can only order 2 that would be shipped on September 26 BUT you could double down by ordering the vinyl only release and give yourself a chance at getting the 3rd color variant.

4) From a merch standpoint, there are some new items available. I would seperate them into 2 categories. Stuff that was available from Beyond The Streets that has been rebranded without the BTS info (I skipped out on these because I am not really a Merch guy), vs completely new merch. New Merch is an Ill Communication black hoodie, an Ill Communiction Grey Hoodie, a TT5B White Hoodie, an Ill Communication snap back Hat, and an Ill Communication beanie.

That's just my thoughts on the items available in the US from beastieboys.com

I would love any help my overseas Beastie family could help me dig into what is available outside of the US.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:54 PM

As usual, bigfatlove with the ultimate collecting strategy.

I was also thinking, for the Root Down release, I'll likely buy 2 and see if I get duplicate colors. If so, I'd be down to trade with people on the boards rather then try to sell it online and deal with the flippers on Ebay.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Up in your Crawlspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
Thoughts...

For US buyers...

3) The Root Down 2019 repressing is the most interesting from a collecting standpoint in that there are 3 variants pictured (red, green, and blue). You can only order 2 that would be shipped on September 26 BUT you could double down by ordering the vinyl only release and give yourself a chance at getting the 3rd color variant.
Root Down has 4 colors Orange, Red, Green and Blue

Keep it on

Old 08-18-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleystp View Post
Root Down has 4 colors Orange, Red, Green and Blue
Thanks for that! I didn't notice it until well after I posted it.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Up in your Crawlspace

Quote:
Thanks for that! I didn't notice it until well after I posted it.
So technically, you can buy 2 bundles, and 2 stand alones for a chance to get all four colors, right?

Keep it on

Old 08-18-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
So technically, you can buy 2 bundles, and 2 stand alones for a chance to get all four colors, right?
Yes. That's what I did.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:47 AM

You could also just place separate orders of 2 Root Downs and try to get all 4..... I think. I haven't tried it, but I might soon. Will report back!

On to some other topics...

Has anyone heard anything else about these releases? Who is pressing them? Why this selection of records but not CYH and HN?

At first I was like "Damn, seems like just a money grab." Then I remembered the 2009 remasters came out 10 years ago.....yikes. Time flies!
Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Arrow Re: New Colored Vinyl Reissues

Looks like Paul's Boutique is double vinyl again? I'm a fan of breaking the album up into 2 discs for the better sound quality.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
You could also just place separate orders of 2 Root Downs and try to get all 4..... I think. I haven't tried it, but I might soon. Will report back!

On to some other topics...

Has anyone heard anything else about these releases? Who is pressing them? Why this selection of records but not CYH and HN?

At first I was like "Damn, seems like just a money grab." Then I remembered the 2009 remasters came out 10 years ago.....yikes. Time flies!
You could place 2 orders for Root Down without the tees and have equal chances, unless the bundle version is different than the later release.

I inquired as to other pressings and country of origin. I'll let you know what I find, but generally we fans usually end up clarifying that in the end.

I think the theory on what to repress when is tied to anniversaries as in...
Paul's Boutique 30 year anniversary
Ill Communication 25 year anniversary
Root Down 25 year anniversary (although the single wasn't released until 95)
To The 5 Burroughs 15 year anniversary

If that is the case, you could expect reissues of...
Licensed To Ill 35th anniversary in 2022
Check Your Head 30th anniversary in 2022
The Mix Up 15th anniversary in 2022
Hello Nasty 30th anniversary in 2023
and so on and so forth

And just to highlight... It was super-duper-uncool-as-fuck for Kings Road Merch to send me an email on 8/16/19 at 11:52 AM announcing the reissues, then check back today and see that everything was discounted 20% AND there is free shipping. As In if I had waited 3 days I could have saved $208.80. I guess we always hurt the ones we love.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Up in your Crawlspace

Quote:

And just to highlight... It was super-duper-uncool-as-fuck for Kings Road Merch to send me an email on 8/16/19 at 11:52 AM announcing the reissues, then check back today and see that everything was discounted 20% AND there is free shipping. As In if I had waited 3 days I could have saved $208.80. I guess we always hurt the ones we love.
I purchased last night at 11:00 PM. I am so mad right now!

Keep it on

Old 08-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
You could place 2 orders for Root Down without the tees and have equal chances, unless the bundle version is different than the later release.

I inquired as to other pressings and country of origin. I'll let you know what I find, but generally we fans usually end up clarifying that in the end.

I think the theory on what to repress when is tied to anniversaries as in...
Paul's Boutique 30 year anniversary
Ill Communication 25 year anniversary
Root Down 25 year anniversary (although the single wasn't released until 95)
To The 5 Burroughs 15 year anniversary

If that is the case, you could expect reissues of...
Licensed To Ill 35th anniversary in 2022
Check Your Head 30th anniversary in 2022
The Mix Up 15th anniversary in 2022
Hello Nasty 30th anniversary in 2023
and so on and so forth

Wow - I didn't even realize that all of those anniversaries happened to line up like that. I wonder if they'll reissue The Mix Up though, seeing as you can still buy 1st editions brand new through the store. If they do, it would be amazing if they threw in a bonus disc with all those b-sides that were either released on foreign CDs or as digital downloads only.

As for the sale, are you guys talking about the bundles or just the records or both? I went to the store just now and I don't see anything about 20% off or free shipping.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:08 PM

The banner changed. I don't know how long it was up, but it is gone now.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:56 AM

I forgot to mention that the 20% off everything in the store and free shipping promo that was on the site required a promo code which was "BEASTIE4TH". Since I'd already bought the US reissues, I chose the EU store. I added 2 copies of all four reissues to my cart, proceeded to checkout, entered the code, and it wasn't valid.

All of that leads me to believe that King's Road has a plan to drop the price on a promotion on the 4th, it somehow hit the site early when it shouldn't have been visible, corrected the mistake, and called it a day. They can run their store any way they want. Nonetheless, how do any of us feel about being counted on to snatch it up on day one only to find out it'll cost less later? Not that it will cost less because sales to the hard core collectors lag, but that there is a plan to discount shit once you've milked the core fan base.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:25 PM

I'm probably screwing myself by doing this, but here is the email I sent kings road BEFORE I learned there is a plan to discount down the road.

Hello support team,

I have a few quick questions. On order numbers XXXXXXC and XXXXXXX I purchased (from the US). I bought 4 copies of each of the reissues and 1 of each of the new merchandise I didn't have totaling $858.25. It is NOT so I can resell them. It is so I can trade them to fellow collectors in the UK, EU, Australia, and Germany to catalog all of the different pressings and variants. My questions are...

1) Are all of the reissues pressed in the US and then exported, or are there different pressings from different regions? If you know how many different countries press the vinyl it would help immensely. It's my intention to catalog every unique pressing so I can update our discography.

2) On the Root Down reissue I know that the vinyls are randomly inserted, but is there any way that I can ensure that I get one of each color? I'm not wanting to screw other people who purchased it out of their fair chance at a color, I am only asking because I am going to have to do the same for the United Kingdom / Europe / Germany / and Australia pressings and that means I need to purchase at least 8 copies per territory just to have a fair chance of getting all 4 (one color each of copies pressed in all 5 territories). So 40 copies is daunting and cost prohibitive. Can you help me out?

3) ANY contacts you have from the folks overseeing distribution to other territories would help me a lot. We don't sell shit on our site. We are basically some hard core fans who break all of the different releases down for fans. We spend money to maintain the site, and don't sell anything. So, if your team can find one person who could help me spend less and do more to educate the small niche of hard core collectors I'd be grateful.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:26 PM
MCL with a story to tell

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the 20% off everything in the store and free shipping promo that was on the site required a promo code which was "BEASTIE4TH". Since I'd already bought the US reissues, I chose the EU store. I added 2 copies of all four reissues to my cart, proceeded to checkout, entered the code, and it wasn't valid.

All of that leads me to believe that King's Road has a plan to drop the price on a promotion on the 4th, it somehow hit the site early when it shouldn't have been visible, corrected the mistake, and called it a day. They can run their store any way they want. Nonetheless, how do any of us feel about being counted on to snatch it up on day one only to find out it'll cost less later? Not that it will cost less because sales to the hard core collectors lag, but that there is a plan to discount shit once you've milked the core fan base.
Not defending King’s Road in any way but I know they were running a 4th of July promotion last month with that code so maybe it was accidentally still active and now the code has been removed? Tried using it on the EU site in July and it didn’t work then either.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin MCL View Post
Not defending King’s Road in any way but I know they were running a 4th of July promotion last month with that code so maybe it was accidentally still active and now the code has been removed? Tried using it on the EU site in July and it didn’t work then either.
That is a perfectly good explanation, which makes a lot of sense. It would be really cool if somebody on the staff could answer the questions I sent in though. Thanks Eoin for keeping my conspiracy theory in check.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
That is a perfectly good explanation, which makes a lot of sense. It would be really cool if somebody on the staff could answer the questions I sent in though. Thanks Eoin for keeping my conspiracy theory in check.
I'm gonna assume that no one from KRM has written back?

Also, this thought just popped into my head. Paul's Boutique is being released on 180g double vinyl. The 1998 reissue was on double vinyl, but was not 180g, while the 2009 reissue/remaster was on single vinyl and was 180g. I'm just wondering if they are pressing the same remaster as 2009 but splitting it up or if they are using the old plates from 1998.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Arrow Re: New Colored Vinyl Reissues

Quote:
Also, this thought just popped into my head. Paul's Boutique is being released on 180g double vinyl. The 1998 reissue was on double vinyl, but was not 180g, while the 2009 reissue/remaster was on single vinyl and was 180g. I'm just wondering if they are pressing the same remaster as 2009 but splitting it up or if they are using the old plates from 1998.
This one of the things I'm curious about. I can't see myself buying a lot of this stuff over new vinyl colors but if the audio content is new I might pop on the Paul's Boutique record. Splitting music up over more physical space on the vinyl can lead to pretty drastic increases in sound quality.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
This one of the things I'm curious about. I can't see myself buying a lot of this stuff over new vinyl colors but if the audio content is new I might pop on the Paul's Boutique record. Splitting music up over more physical space on the vinyl can lead to pretty drastic increases in sound quality.
I hear ya. In fact, I used to have the 1998 reissues of Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head, but I traded them because I felt they didn't add anything to my collection once the 2009 remasters came out. I wasn't going to throw down for the color editions, but I figured meh...... why not. I am hoping that PB is the remastered version, because that would be DOPE.

Yet another diversion from the topic, I realized that Some Old Bullshit is 25 years old this year, but I guess it isn't in enough demand for a reissue. Next next year Aglio e Olio will be 25 years old. I wonder if we'll get the first ever reissue of that bad boy......
Old 08-25-2019, 08:02 AM

I just noticed something weird with the Root Down reissues.

If you go to Amazon, you can pre-order Root Down on black vinyl, which isn't available on the Kings Road website.

I wonder if this is 1.) a mistake, 2.) an Amazon-only thing and they don't get to partake in the random colors, or 3.) black is going to be one of the "random colors" (just like it was with the Love American Style reissue back in '98), but Amazon is only selling the black version.

Anyone have any idea?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:53 PM

I ordered one copy of the US Paul's Boutique on black vinyl, and one copy of the Root Down EP on black vinyl. The reason for that is that they are listed as pre orders. It doesn't seem that they intend to re release Ill Communication or To The 5 Boroughs on black vinyl in 2019. I'm wrong all of the time, so don't bank on that being what actually happens. The black vinyl re pressing's appear to be limited to those two releases.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:58 PM

The first wind that I got was from a collector in Ireland. He sent me this link which detailed the color versions on the site, the black vinyl versions on amazon, and a link to Record Store Day. Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:44 PM

Ahh, ok. I found an article in Spin that confirms the black Paul's Boutique reissue as well. I'm curious why these black versions aren't being offered through KRM at all though...

So for now, we've got the following coming:

Paul's Boutique (black)
Paul's Boutique (purple)
Ill Communication (silver)
Root Down (black)
Root Down (blue)
Root Down (red)
Root Down (orange)
Root Down (green)
To The 5 Boroughs (blue)

I'm curious to hear if KRM ever writes about concerning non-American releases and if they are truly non-American or if they're just exported from the States to Europe.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:39 PM

That's my take on the US 2019 reissues.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Ahh, ok. I found an article in Spin that confirms the black Paul's Boutique reissue as well. I'm curious why these black versions aren't being offered through KRM at all though...

So for now, we've got the following coming:

Paul's Boutique (black)
Paul's Boutique (purple)
Ill Communication (silver)
Root Down (black)
Root Down (blue)
Root Down (red)
Root Down (orange)
Root Down (green)
To The 5 Boroughs (blue)

I'm curious to hear if KRM ever writes about concerning non-American releases and if they are truly non-American or if they're just exported from the States to Europe.
Or alternatively...

Paul's Boutique US (black)
Paul's Boutique US (purple)
Ill Communication US (silver)
Root Down US (black)
Root Down US (blue)
Root Down US (red)
Root Down US (orange)
Root Down US (green)
To The 5 Boroughs US (blue)
Paul's Boutique EU (black) cant confirm this exists
Paul's Boutique EU (purple)
Ill Communication EU (silver)
Root Down EU (black) can't confirm this exists
Root Down EU (blue)
Root Down EU (red)
Root Down EU (orange)
Root Down EU (green)
To The 5 Boroughs EU (blue)
Old 08-28-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
From a super nerdy standpoint this is the best explanation I could find about how many copies you would have to buy to have an average chance at getting all 4 random copies of the Root Down reissue. That doesn't mean that if you order 8 copies you'll get 1 of each, only that on average that's how many you'd have to order to give yourself a slightly less than average chance at getting all 4.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 08-28-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:16 PM

From an international standpoint...

The UK option defaults to the EU store. I am operating under the assumption that the EU distributor covers copies to the UK and EU. The Germany store doesn't default to either of those, but I don't know anyone in Deutschland. The Australia store redirects to an artist direct page. I do know somebody in AU that will help me figure that out.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:12 PM

Maybe this is a pretty obvious question, but does anyone know if you can just place multiple orders for the Root Down EP to get around the "limit 2 per product" restriction on KRM? I know you can do the whole bundle + just EP combo to get 4 copies, but is there any chance if I just place 2 different orders for 2 Root Down copies each, KRM would cancel one of them?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe this is a pretty obvious question, but does anyone know if you can just place multiple orders for the Root Down EP to get around the "limit 2 per product" restriction on KRM? I know you can do the whole bundle + just EP combo to get 4 copies, but is there any chance if I just place 2 different orders for 2 Root Down copies each, KRM would cancel one of them?
If you pay them for the order they'll send it. The only reason I included the bundle with tee is just in case it was limited or somehow different, and that it was set to ship 4 days ago (which it hasn't, which means I spent a bunch of money for nothing). If you just want your best shot at random colors then place separate orders for 2xeach of how many ever you want.