Old 02-14-2018, 02:42 PM

Default In a World Gone Mad vinyl release?

I've run into a few "official" promo vinyl releases of In a World Gone Mad, and I see that it's listed as an official release on Beastiemania, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how this is proven to be true?

I don't see anything on the record that indicates that it was issued by Capitol and the catalogue number is just INAWORLDGONEMAD. Any idea who put this out or if it is indeed an official release?

I just remember when it was posted on the website in digital format back in the day.

Edit: I've also noticed that, at least on Discogs, a suspiciously large quantity of these are in Israel. Any idea what the deal is with that?

Last edited by tuc70021 : 02-14-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: extra sauce
Old 02-15-2018, 06:00 AM

Arrow Re: In a World Gone Mad vinyl release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I've run into a few "official" promo vinyl releases of In a World Gone Mad, and I see that it's listed as an official release on Beastiemania, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how this is proven to be true?

I don't see anything on the record that indicates that it was issued by Capitol and the catalogue number is just INAWORLDGONEMAD. Any idea who put this out or if it is indeed an official release?

I just remember when it was posted on the website in digital format back in the day.

Edit: I've also noticed that, at least on Discogs, a suspiciously large quantity of these are in Israel. Any idea what the deal is with that?
I suspect there was a true promo but it seems like it may have been bootlegged? According to link below there were only 200 copies but I've seen many more than that around. Mine has the promo sheet but no sticker.

http://www.beastiemania.com/discog/l...599&height=190

It may have been a Europe only think through Capitol's sister label, Parlophone.

Good question.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Re: In a World Gone Mad vinyl release?

I googled the guy - Kevin McCabe - listed on that sticker and he's definitely real, so it seems like this was a legit release, but like you said, bootlegs probably abound. One of the bootlegs has a different label, making it easy to detect. But I wonder if there were more bootleg versions, especially since a white label release wouldn't be tough to copy. This might explain the strange amount coming from Israel despite this being (apparently) a UK release.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Music est. 1986

I have a copy, I always thought it was legit.

Now I wonder if it is a bootleg. I do remember 12-inch white labels coming out back in 2003, but haven't seen them since.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Don't know if it interests anyone, but I found some of the answers to my own questions.

I emailed Kevin McCabe, who was doing promotions at Parlophone back when this came out, and asked him if he had any recollection of the release. I sent him the questions below, and in italics are his responses.

Was this a UK promotion only?
I can’t remember! I would think unlikely and that it would have also gone out in the US also

Who did the actual pressings and was it truly limited to 200 copies?
Looking at it, it doesn’t feel or look like a UK pressing – feels US to me as it has a spine sleeve - it was a rush job though so we might have outsourced. ….No idea if it was just 200. I can only remember getting a handful though, so probably true!

To whom were these given as promotional items?
My allocation went to fans at UK radio stations

Is there anything about this record (e.g. the run-out etchings) that would help verify that a given copy is a true Parlophone release and not a bootleg?
It is genuine – 100% - I wouldn’t have a copy otherwise, and now that I have seen the pic, I can remember writing the sticker!

Is there anything else of note that you recall about this release?
Nope!

On BeastieMania, they note that the record sometimes comes with a sticker from Parlophone, which means that that given copy was from the Kevin McCabe allotment of this promo, but there were probably other batches sent out to other people who were not at Parlophone. This could explain why some copies don't come with the Parlophone sticker and insert, and why there are so many for sale in Israel (perhaps whoever handles Israeli distribution got a batch).

Anyway... that's that!
Old 03-02-2018, 05:45 AM

Thumbs up Re: In a World Gone Mad vinyl release?

Nice one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I've got to think that there were either more than 200, or there have been bootlegs. You see this one often enough that one or the other must be true. There are 13 for sale on discogs right now!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:49 AM

The only reference I know of that says these were limited to 200 was from the Parlophone sticker, and the guy who wrote that can't remember! So maybe there were more than 200 or maybe there were bootlegs. It seems odd to bootleg this one though, since as far as I know this has never been a valuable (at least monetarily) release. There are a bunch for sale on Discogs, but they've never sold for more than a few bucks. Hmmm.....

Another thing that jumps out to me too: the vinyl seems pretty heavy, at least on my copy. It's not 180 gram or anything, but it's not the really thin, cheap vinyl either.

Also, just to get this out there somewhere in case anyone wants to compare, here are the run-out etchings from my copy:

Side A:
INAWORLDGONEMAD A RML KEEP THE HOT DISC "HOT" Herbie Jr (smiley face)

Side B:
INAWORLDGONEMAD B RML Herbie Jr. (smiley face) "IT'S PUMPED"
Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 AM

I'll check mine. I actually have two copies because my first one showed up cracked. That one came in a plain sleeve, no insert, no sticker. My other copy, which I presume is legit, came with the press insert. Maybe I can compare those too and see if the plain one looks like a possible boot. I was never a fan of that cut. It wasn't the content (which I fully support) but the rhyme style on the chorus was too sing songy for me.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Music est. 1986

If you have two copies that's on leaves 198 out there now....

Great research though!

I will check mine when I get home and let you guys know if I notice anything unique as well.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Both mine have the same etching. Both are pretty thin. Tuc, does yours have the sticker?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:25 PM

Ugh! Scratch what I said about the thickness. I was messing around with my copy of The Mix UP Album Sampler and noticed that was a little thick.

In A World Gone Mad is a pretty thin.

Mine didn't come with a sticker or a press release, but I also bought it used from Discogs, so I have no idea if it ever had those.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 AM

Yeah, I'd even say mine are abnormally thin. The one that shattered most likely did so because it's so thin. Kind of brittle too. I actually tend to like thin records for djing but thin vinyl is usually pretty flexible. With these IAWGM records, I wouldn't want to put them under any stress because it seems like they wouldn't snap.

They could be bootlegs, but then again things don't quite add up to that. For example, the press sheet would be easy to run through a copier, but why do that for only a small portion of them? I wonder if they didn't have a pressing error of some sort and the ones that didn't pass quality control ended up being squirreled away and sold. Just wild speculation on my part though.

If somebody has one with the sticker I'd be interested to see what they say about the thickness of the vinyl.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Music est. 1986

I checked my copy, I wouldn't say it is as thick as 180g vinyl but it's not a completely thin cheap bootleg either.
Mine did not come with the sticker but is in a plain white sleeve. I think I bought it of discogs.

The dead wax has the etchings:

Side A:

Side B:

I'm not sure if bootlegs would also copy the inscriptions on runout grooves, can anyone confirm if that is usual practice?

I would love to think that it's limited to 200 copies but I see way too many copies online to think that it could be that rare.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
I checked my copy, I wouldn't say it is as thick as 180g vinyl but it's not a completely thin cheap bootleg either.
Mine did not come with the sticker but is in a plain white sleeve. I think I bought it of discogs.

The dead wax has the etchings:

Side A:

Side B:

I'm not sure if bootlegs would also copy the inscriptions on runout grooves, can anyone confirm if that is usual practice?

I would love to think that it's limited to 200 copies but I see way too many copies online to think that it could be that rare.
Bootlegs often have etchings, but from my experience, they are often incorrect or they don't even attempt to mimic the original. If you look on BeastieMania at the bootlegs section, the most common consistent difference between bootlegs and originals is the etchings. I think that's because you need to actually etch these (usually by hand) into the plates to press the records.

I'm not sure we'll even know since even the guy at Parlophone who distributed these in the UK doesn't know, but the "limited to 200" figure could just be for the UK Parlophone release. These were likely sent to other markets as well, therefore meaning there were way more than 200. This seems like an odd record to bootleg since it's not worth much, wasn't popular, and can't command much money in secondary sales.