Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 PM

Default New Sabotage Vinyl Bootleg

Say this on Ebay - looks like a new 3" bootleg of Sabotage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beastie-Boy...frcectupt=true

I'm not a bootleg collector myself, but I've never seen a 3" before
Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 PM

Default Re: New Sabotage Vinyl Bootleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Say this on Ebay - looks like a new 3" bootleg of Sabotage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beastie-Boy...frcectupt=true

I'm not a bootleg collector myself, but I've never seen a 3" before
It's not a bootleg. It's a Record Store Day release.

http://floodmagazine.com/63388/beast...3-inch-single/
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 PM

The eBay seller who posted this is an entrepreneur who wants you to pay him $100 for a $10 item. Its release date is 7/19
https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/8495
Old 06-21-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
The eBay seller who posted this is an entrepreneur who wants you to pay him $100 for a $10 item. Its release date is 7/19
https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/8495
Thanks for the info! I'm pretty ignorant of the whole record store day thing, so how do these work? They get the bands to license them a song for a weird little release? And then you just have to see if random indie record stores in your area have these weird releases on that day?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Arrow Re: New Sabotage Vinyl Bootleg

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'm pretty ignorant of the whole record store day thing, so how do these work? They get the bands to license them a song for a weird little release? And then you just have to see if random indie record stores in your area have these weird releases on that day?
That's basically right. These days online sellers have started to come into the mix but originally it was showing up at an independent record store and hoping you could snag a copy on "Record Store Day". That's how these two were released:
https://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys...elease/2237141
https://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys...elease/2833482

Now "Record Store Day" seems to happen every other month and there are tons of releases and many more copies being sold online.

The two I listed above were apparently much more limited (1000 copies and 500 copies respectively) so hopefully they'll be plenty of the 3" Sabotage to go around.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
That's basically right. These days online sellers have started to come into the mix but originally it was showing up at an independent record store and hoping you could snag a copy on "Record Store Day". That's how these two were released:
https://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys...elease/2237141
https://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys...elease/2833482

Now "Record Store Day" seems to happen every other month and there are tons of releases and many more copies being sold online.

The two I listed above were apparently much more limited (1000 copies and 500 copies respectively) so hopefully they'll be plenty of the 3" Sabotage to go around.
That RSD release that's just two remixes from HSCP2.... it just seems so lazy. No art, no cool packaging, not even vinyl labels that look remotely like a legit record. Did the band sign off on this? I have the Make Some Noise RSD 7", and at least that comes in a semi-classy Parlophone sleeve with a real vinyl label.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
That RSD release that's just two remixes from HSCP2.... it just seems so lazy. No art, no cool packaging, not even vinyl labels that look remotely like a legit record. Did the band sign off on this? I have the Make Some Noise RSD 7", and at least that comes in a semi-classy Parlophone sleeve with a real vinyl label.
I dunno about lazy, but it has the original (Pre Zdar) 2009 mixes of Lee Majors Come Again by DJ Shadow, and Here's a Little Something For Ya by Cut Chemist that were used for the DJ Hero video game. It is the only official vinyl you can get the Cut Chemist remix on. The DJ Shadow remix was released on this one first, and then as part of a vinyl that DJ Shadow self released with bundles for the DJ Hero Game. Then some fine unknown gentleman of unknown origin put all of the tracks available on this and this with the less lazy vinyl labels but definitely bootlegs for all to enjoy.

At the time of it's release it was sold as a "Super Suprise" limited edition remix 12". Which is exactly what it was

That is the rest of the story.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 06-21-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 PM

I love bootlegs. When they are designed to take money from the artist by copying the exact release and trying to pass them off as originals I can see why that would bother most people. On the other hand... When somebody takes the time to bootleg something on vinyl that you cant find elsewhere, I'm kind of grateful. To each their own. I'll cop that shit every time.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I love bootlegs. When they are designed to take money from the artist by copying the exact release and trying to pass them off as originals I can see why that would bother most people. On the other hand... When somebody takes the time to bootleg something on vinyl that you cant find elsewhere, I'm kind of grateful. To each their own. I'll cop that shit every time.
That's a good point. Although I don't collect them, I've been really tempted by the Paul's Boutique 7" box set and other bootlegs that took some time and effort and seem more like homages to the group.

Plus I can't lie... if I had the money I'd probably press a few hundred copies of my fantasy bootleg: every official release that was never on vinyl.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
I'm not aware of Record Store Day dealing in bootlegs. I suspect the release wasn't full blown because RSD was relatively new at the time and the project was not meant to make a ton of money. I can totally see the Beasties digging the concept and putting together the release real quick to support it.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:22 PM

i dipped out of going to RSD. i’ve probably missed out on some gems but i’m not a crowds guy and since it’s gotten popular that’s all it is nowadays. i have cherry picked some stuff off ebay here and there. the only beastie related RSD jawns i’ve picked up is the white label guitar hero and the marjor lazer no shame remix. are there many others?
Old 06-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
i dipped out of going to RSD. i’ve probably missed out on some gems but i’m not a crowds guy and since it’s gotten popular that’s all it is nowadays. i have cherry picked some stuff off ebay here and there. the only beastie related RSD jawns i’ve picked up is the white label guitar hero and the marjor lazer no shame remix. are there many others?
Just the Make Some Noise 7" and this upcoming 3" that I'm aware of. I wasn't even aware the Major Lazer thing was a RSD release. I think I bought mine from the label.

I'm pretty much with you on RSD. The ones I went to usually didn't have what I was looking for and the manufactured rarity thing is just annoying. The stuff I want usually ends up on eBay and discogs for inflated prices.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM

The Lee Majors Come Again 7" promo were given away on RSD, and JSBE did a 12" with an imitation Def Jam sleeve that had covers of She's On It and Jack The Ripper.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:35 AM
Call me pip

this vendor still has the 3 inch player released on record store day earlier this year. It comes with a 3 inch copy of a Foo Fighters song.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/29261930...table-rsd-2019

they seemingly sold out of Sabotage pre-orders though. I was able to get mine before it was too late

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/30919858...-record-player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable
Pip has the best avatar.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
The Lee Majors Come Again 7" promo were given away on RSD, and JSBE did a 12" with an imitation Def Jam sleeve that had covers of She's On It and Jack The Ripper.
I had forgotten about the Lee Majors thing! That was not a typical RSD release though was it? I vaguely remember it being some type of scavenger hunt sort of thing or something instead of the typical RSD release.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip07 View Post
this vendor still has the 3 inch player released on record store day earlier this year. It comes with a 3 inch copy of a Foo Fighters song.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/29261930...table-rsd-2019

they seemingly sold out of Sabotage pre-orders though. I was able to get mine before it was too late

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/30919858...-record-player
Not hating on you by any means, but if one can preorder this.....then what is the point? You can order it and just pick it up from your record store like an Amazon locket delivery? This system seeks like it encourages flippers rather than encourages people to shop at record stores.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:52 AM
Call me pip

Quote:
Not hating on you by any means, but if one can preorder this.....then what is the point? You can order it and just pick it up from your record store like an Amazon locket delivery? This system seeks like it encourages flippers rather than encourages people to shop at record stores.
The point is I get the record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable
Pip has the best avatar.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I had forgotten about the Lee Majors thing! That was not a typical RSD release though was it? I vaguely remember it being some type of scavenger hunt sort of thing or something instead of the typical RSD release.
Was this the same Lee Major 7" that came in the deluxe edition of the Check Your Head box set?
Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Was this the same Lee Major 7" that came in the deluxe edition of the Check Your Head box set?
My understanding is that it was. I can't remember the circumstances exactly and can't find the thread but there was a guy on this board who scored one on Record Store Day (perhaps it was the release day for the album but I think it was Record Store Day). It was definitely one of those things where your chances of actually getting the wax through this promotion were very limited. I'm actually a little surprised that the 7" is as readily available as it is because the only ways I've heard of it being available are through this limited RSD event and the Check Your Head boxset, and my understanding was that most boxsets didn't have the record.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Huh, I didn't know that! Pretty cool I suppose.

Wasn't the band (or maybe just Adrock) putting random 7"s into some of the box sets as well? Like, just some records they had laying around? I thought I remembered them going on some late night show and the host (can't remember if it was Conan or somebody else) opened his and Le Freak was included as a bonus. Maybe that was just for the show?
Old 06-27-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly the same. Stores weren't guaranteed copies. I checked my son out of school and we drove from GA to a place in Tennessee that had 2 copies, we're the first two there, and got 2 copies.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 06-27-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:36 AM

The Sabotage 3" releases are now all over Ebay for 40 bucks minimum. How are people getting a hold of these before the release date? Promos? Or you think someone is bootlegging them already?
Old 06-28-2019, 03:50 PM

Not bootlegging. Monetizing what was originally intended to support/drive traffic to brick and mortar sellers by encouraging people to sit on their ass and order them instead. It honestly makes me want to vomit.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 06-28-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Not bootlegging. Monetizing what was originally intended to support/drive traffic to brick and mortar sellers by encouraging people to sit on their ass and order them instead. It honestly makes me want to vomit.
Yeah, I've always disliked the flagrant flipping that goes on in the record world. I was just wondering how they're selling them right now if the record isn't even available, unless they'll send them later and are just not disclosing that.

This whole release is fine and good, but I kind of have issues with it on both sides. First off, for a "global" event (RSD), 2500 copies is nowhere near enough. This is just begging for people to buy as many as they can and sell them for a shit load. But the release itself seems to miss the point a bit. Why release a weird format that you (supposedly) need a special mini turntable for? I get it - to make more money. But if the idea is to get people into indie record stores, why not make it more appealing to the average person?

I work with someone in his early 70s who was way into soul and funk and all that jazz (no quasi-pun intended) when he was younger. I mentioned in passing one day that I was going to the record store to pick up an album and he was genuinely surprised to know that when people said "record store" they literally meant stores with vinyl records in them. He assumed those were long gone by now. We went down and he found all these old records that he used to have but lost over the years and was so excited to know he could buy Ohio Players "Skin Tight" for $10.

In my mind, RSD is about getting people back to shopping for physical music in a physical store run by normal people. I'm making way too much out of this one release, but it just seems like we're edging toward a much more highly commercial, "branded" thing.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:41 AM

I don't want to be overly sanctimonious about it, I just get bothered when it's presented as a way to drive traffic into indie record shops but is available 3 weeks prior to people who would prefer to order on line (subsequently making it harder for people who actually want to get it from their local record shop for cheaper to get one).
Old 06-30-2019, 11:11 AM

The counter point to that is record collecting has evolved to the point that you could go to every single independent record store you have within a 20 mile radius every single day and still come up with less of a haul than you can get online in 15 minutes. The landscape has changed drastically, and just from my perspective whinging about how things are vs how they used to be is cathartic, but not very productive. Embrace the new, or be left behind.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip07 View Post
The point is I get the record
And it's that simple.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
First off, for a "global" event (RSD), 2500 copies is nowhere near enough. This is just begging for people to buy as many as they can and sell them for a shit load.
Based on the numbers for past RSD releases, that's actually quite a few records. Maybe demand has gone up and things will be different this time around but I'm gonna wait and bet this can be had for close to retail if I can't get one on RSD.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Agreed. I'll still go to RSD and get mine.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Went to local record store. Came up empty. Owner is gonna see if he can get it for me. Anyone else have any luck?

Thank You Adam Yauch