Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 PM
There is only passion.

Default Re: Ricky Powell Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Monk View Post
Yeah but the west village has always been a wealthy neighborhood. Its less Bohemian yeah, but the way Ricky is framing his argument is a little disingenuous. He's acting like he's from Hell's Kitchen or something.
yup. got to give him a little wiggle room though.

Oxtail, rice and peas, and ginger beer.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 AM

it was fun back then, not now..
ricky needs to get his shit together
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM
and always ...

Rappin with the Rickster

At the end he adds "his" tribute to Adam. Kind of sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAVyP...e_gdata_player
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA4ever View Post
Rappin with the Rickster

thx, I enjoyed that.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 PM

Rick's legit. Heads need to recognize!

thank you Adam.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumkojima View Post
Met him in Atlanta a couple of years ago. (Love that he's wearing his Criminal Records ATL t-shirt.) He took a photo of my friend and I using my camera that I'll always treasure. Later, he threw a drink at us, called us a couple of fags and said we we were interrupting his show. By the end of the night, he'd found everyone's last nerve. He kept yelling at a non-existent barkeep to shut up. He may not have evolved in the same ways, some of it may be performance, but either way I love him. He's a true artist. Quality.
criminal records?

http://www.recordsale.de/cdpix/f/ffw...o_te_vayas.jpg
Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
Around 2000 Ricky was doing a photo exhibit that had LTI era pics in it that the Beasties didn't want to be shown anymore. Ricky owns them...he showed them. Friendship over.
was that the one we were at?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|X|Y View Post
source?

he said "most" not all!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO MASTER View Post
was that the one we were at?
i think...

thank you Adam.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM
There is only passion.

Quote:
Yes sir, I believe you are correct.

On a different note, remember, you can't plant the peas where the corn wan fi grow.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 PM

Ricky's cool....he's just jealous of the Beasties. I think anybody who worked with them who never achieved their level of success would be. I mean if you're still living in a little apartment, and your peers are rich and famous buying big houses, you will be jealous. There's no two ways about it. Some people are just better at hiding it than others.

I don't really understand why he hasn't been more successful financially. With his photography experience and crazy connections, I would think he could have been a music video director or something. I guess he just refuses to play other people's games. Which in a way is admirable....but I think he could have found a way to do his own thing and make money (more money) at the same time.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 AM

They should buy all of Ricky's footage. Then he's financially secure and the Beasties don't have to worry about anything being released.

thank you Adam.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
They should buy all of Ricky's footage. Then he's financially secure and the Beasties don't have to worry about anything being released.
That's an interesting idea. I don't know what they'd be willing to give him though. And plus, would he even consider it ? It's his life's work and artistic legacy. You might have to offer him a boatload of money, more than you are able to. It's like how he put in the video about Yauch, "your spirit lives on". That shows how he feels about these things. He might be the type that says no way, it's not for sale at any price. Some people, when faced with that choice, insist that their artistic legacy remain pure, rather than have money and comfort in day to day life.

It's a funny thing. Everybody knows John Lennon would never want his picture on a corporate Apple ad. And Yoko Ono is supposed to be this hardcore avant-garde artist. I guess they made her an offer she couldn't refuse.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
That's an interesting idea. I don't know what they'd be willing to give him though. And plus, would he even consider it ? It's his life's work and artistic legacy. You might have to offer him a boatload of money, more than you are able to. It's like how he put in the video about Yauch, "your spirit lives on". That shows how he feels about these things. He might be the type that says no way, it's not for sale at any price. Some people, when faced with that choice, insist that their artistic legacy remain pure, rather than have money and comfort in day to day life.

It's a funny thing. Everybody knows John Lennon would never want his picture on a corporate Apple ad. And Yoko Ono is supposed to be this hardcore avant-garde artist. I guess they made her an offer she couldn't refuse.
These are photos, not music. I think he's a good photographer who was lucky enough to get into the right place at the right time during Hip Hop's Golden Era. But IMO you are inflating his credentials as an "artist" to levels far beyond what he actually is.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumkojima View Post
Yes sir, I believe you are correct.

On a different note, remember, you can't plant the peas where the corn wan fi grow.

wow.....thats impressive! a couple of friends of mine released singles on that label and I never knew the label was that big because thier songs were so underground.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 AM
There is only passion.

Quote:
wow.....thats impressive! a couple of friends of mine released singles on that label and I never knew the label was that big because thier songs were so underground.
I'm sorry. I was being silly. (I thought you were, too.)

I meant the record / comic shop here:

http://criminalatl.com/Home

Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
he said "most" not all!
yeah but new york has changed A LOT in the last few years.
i'd say some or "a lot" is more accurate, "most" is still a stereotype/generalization.

i agree with cj hood and 3stooges. i agree with brass monk in a way, but so much about life is "right place, right time".
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM
and always ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|X|Y View Post
yeah but new york has changed A LOT in the last few years.
i'd say some or "a lot" is more accurate, "most" is still a stereotype/generalization.
Wow!

Edit: just because a handful of areas have had developers come in and do some cleaning up doesnt mean the neighborhoods and way of life has changed at all. No, I did not just watch The Warriors or Saturday Night Fever, my source is first hand knowledge so I am not stereotyping anything.

Last edited by MCA4ever : 09-04-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 AM
and always ...

Ricky, Cey, Adam, & Ione from 1990

http://camewiththeframe.tumblr.com/p...-then-macks-on
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't say "hella"

Quote:
Nice find!

I once was lost but now I'm found...the music washes over and you're one with the sound.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 AM
crazyobessionw/bboys

I know I'm late, but Ricky's documentary was defiantly interesting,

I Love Adam Yauch.
I truly lost apart of myself.
Rap in peace my beautiful friend.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
These are photos, not music. I think he's a good photographer who was lucky enough to get into the right place at the right time during Hip Hop's Golden Era. But IMO you are inflating his credentials as an "artist" to levels far beyond what he actually is.
I probably am...

I just see someone with some talent, an aesthetic sense.....and the connections........you know what they say, it's not what you know, it's who you know......I just think he could have done more....

I don't really understand what you mean about photos/music. They're both art to me...
Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Rappin with the Rickster

Orange Adidas Campus on yauch in the "ill communication" era,nice!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I think it is a bit disingenuous on your part to suggest that photography is not a form of art, just as is music. If you want to make your argument based on Ricky's talent as an "artist" is one thing, but to state that his work is not "art" is flatly incorrect. I think Ricky is a fine artist/photographer and has rightfully earned his place in beastie history, IMO. Just thought that needed to be said.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTreyR View Post
I think it is a bit disingenuous on your part to suggest that photography is not a form of art, just as is music. If you want to make your argument based on Ricky's talent as an "artist" is one thing, but to state that his work is not "art" is flatly incorrect. I think Ricky is a fine artist/photographer and has rightfully earned his place in beastie history, IMO. Just thought that needed to be said.
I'm not sure what you are reacting to, as far as my comment is concerned. As I already said before in a previous comment, Ricky has an important place in Beastie Lore.
I never said Ricky's photos aren't art (although I did imply that what he does mostly doesn't require artistic talent).
I bought "Oh Snap" back in the day and still have it, still flip through it from time to time. Great book, but 99% of the work is simply being there to snap the pic (this is not the case with all forms of photography, but is mostly such when photographing famous people)
Perhaps you go to celebrity photography school and are offended by this notion. So be it.

-Busta Rhymes

Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Current Member

Quote:

Shout at the Devil!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are reacting to, as far as my comment is concerned. As I already said before in a previous comment, Ricky has an important place in Beastie Lore.
I never said Ricky's photos aren't art (although I did imply that what he does mostly doesn't require artistic talent).
I bought "Oh Snap" back in the day and still have it, still flip through it from time to time. Great book, but 99% of the work is simply being there to snap the pic (this is not the case with all forms of photography, but is mostly such when photographing famous people)
Perhaps you go to celebrity photography school and are offended by this notion. So be it.
Man someone doesn't agree with you and you have to personally insult them? It's cool for you to give others your 2 cents but not so cool when given to you?

BTW, my apologies dude for not hanging on your every word and missing your throwing Ricky a bone on being part of beastie "lore"
Old 09-16-2012, 05:24 AM
There is only passion.

Weigh this piece of evidence:

https://vimeo.com/33169350

Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 AM
shaZam!

I got OH SNAP! Rap photography by Ricky Powell book, cool.

Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
Yeah, funky bilingual
Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Man someone doesn't agree with you and you have to personally insult them? It's cool for you to give others your 2 cents but not so cool when given to you?

BTW, my apologies dude for not hanging on your every word and missing your throwing Ricky a bone on being part of beastie "lore"
Somebody's a little sensitive. You're perceiving critical analysis as insults.
If I disagree with you (particularly when you are twisting my initial words and statements) and respond with another comment, that doesn't mean I'm saying you can't have your 2 cents. Its just clarification from my end.

But whatever, if you think Ricky is some supposed super-talented, misunderstood, genius, artiste than that's cool. I think he's a cool but marginally talented little footnote on the Beastie Boys' epic resume. We can just agree to disagree than, because 1000 comments ain't gonna get us to agree on something like this.

-Busta Rhymes