Old 01-27-2021, 07:46 AM
Music est. 1986

Default Hester Diamond Sothebys auction

https://www.sothebys.com/en/articles...hester-diamond

There is some rare Beastie's memorabilia in there. Including a chance to buy one of their MTV moon man awards for about $10k
Old 01-27-2021, 10:35 AM

Arrow Re: Hester Diamond Sothebys auction

Insane. I didn't see the Beastie's stuff, but that's an amazing collection.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:31 AM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Default Re: Hester Diamond Sothebys auction

https://www.sothebys.com/en/slidesho...ilia?locale=en

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM

Holy shit. Multi-million dollar pieces there. Never quite realized how loaded the D's were.

Seems really weird that Mike is selling his gold and platinum records. I'm a big collector, but even I wouldn't really want to pay that much for them. Seems like they'd have way more sentimental value to the person who actually made the records...
Old 01-27-2021, 01:40 PM

I accidentally stumbled on a profile of his mom and her art collecting the other day while I was looking for something else, and I was also kind of blown away by the amount of money. I guess his dad became an art dealer as a way to make ends meet and was pretty successful, and when he died his mom kept collecting art with the foundation his dad left behind. Doesn't seem like they were born loaded or anything, but I could be wrong. The profile made a point of mentioning that she was a social worker and her husband was a teacher before becoming an art dealer. There's some quotes from Mike about having famous people in the house and how formative it was to discuss art with his parents growing up. In terms of the level of money spent on this stuff, it probably doesn't hurt that her son was in a successful band

I just tried the track down the article I read, but I'm pretty sure it just quoted from the Sotheby's stuff so the OP link will probably lead you to what I was reading.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Last edited by balohna : 01-27-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:50 PM

I don't know alot about art, but my understanding is the market is mostly very wealthy people, who have money to burn. So if you are knowledgeable, and shrewd about how you buy and sell, you can make a fortune. Also, the fact that she has been doing it so long, she probably has things she bought when they were basically new, for not that much, that are now considered a rare piece of history, and these rich folks are willing to shell out whatever it takes to own it, they don't even think about it that much, because they have so much money.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balohna View Post
Doesn't seem like they were born loaded or anything, but I could be wrong. The profile made a point of mentioning that she was a social worker and her husband was a teacher before becoming an art dealer.
There's a part in Beastie Boys book where Mike D recalls his mom thinking that escaping the Bronx for Manhattan was "making it" in life, so I assume you're right. Probably had more money than you average New Yorker at the time, but then really cranked up the cash with the art dealing stuff.