Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Default Music Maker Custom Anthology

If anyone has a copy of this please reply. I'm trying really hard to archive all tracks available. I know there are some threads about it here, but I couldn't find them.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Music Maker Custom Anthology

Can’t help you specifically but there were a few posts in this thread from people who got their own copies:

http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthrea...06#post1819706

I assume when you say archive all tracks available you mean you want to have a copy of every track available? As obviously the list of tracks is linked on that beastiemania page.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:40 AM

Yep... A copy of every track available ripped off the custom disc. Even though there are available elsewhere, some of the ones that were on the custom discs themselves are slightly different. Thanks for the link!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Arrow Re: Music Maker Custom Anthology

I've got a couple different copies. One I made for myself of mostly b-sides and one I made for my girlfriend (now wife) that was made up of tracks she liked.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I've got a couple different copies. One I made for myself of mostly b-sides and one I made for my girlfriend (now wife) that was made up of tracks she liked.
I'm a bad person for not being able to keep up with who is who in real life versus their user names. It is a BAD flaw. I know that you and I have worked on getting things together in the past, and I'd love it if you email me or send me a PM to see how many of your tracks fill in the gaps. Please.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:42 AM

I'll try to get some photos of the tracklists.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:22 AM

Thanks. I put together the track list available from the order form. I have less than half of them on the actual custom discs, but put together a complete play list from other releases. The good news is I didn't have to rip any vinyl to get them all. The bad news is I don't know if there are enough of the custom discs floating around to get all of the tracks I don't have from actual "custom" discs. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 AM
PhD In Parapsychology

Man I knew a guy that did two custom sets that had all the non-album stuff and he let me borrow them to rip any tracks I didn't have. I only ripped a couple because I already had the rest from Napster and whatnot. But this was in 2000 and I was 15/16 not realizing that many of the ones I already had were shitty vinyl rips or shitty encodes. Not to mention that I probably would have ripped them at 128 KBPS at the time due to space limitations. I wish I had known better!

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 08-24-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie View Post
Man I knew a guy that did two custom sets that had all the non-album stuff
I did the same thing. I did 2 sets and got all but 3 of the non-album tracks. I think most Beastie nerds at the time did the same thing. So even though it is counter intuitive, to get "custom" versions of all the tracks that were available I'd need to find the person who ordered albums in their entirety. The funny thing about it all is that the folks who did that most likely didn't hang on to their discs, making them more difficult to find.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:30 PM
One Fly Gemini

I wish I still had mine, I did rip some of the tracks though.

"We're the Beastie Boys from New York City, this song is dedicated to Macy" - Adrock introducing "Gratitude" at Virgin Festival.

Macy (Jan 3, 2000 - Aug 3, 2007)

http://www.facebook.com/daveblev

Old 09-01-2018, 09:32 AM

https://klovimg.com/image/HRKii

https://klovimg.com/image/HRuUl

Here's my two discs. Still have to find Mrs. Skratchalot's
Old 09-01-2018, 10:16 AM

I see "The Vibes (Version 1)" on there. Is this the same version that was released on the Sure Shot EP? And is tm there a Version 2?
Old 09-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Music est. 1986

Mario C extended remix? sounds interesting
Old 09-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Up in your Crawlspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I see "The Vibes (Version 1)" on there. Is this the same version that was released on the Sure Shot EP? And is tm there a Version 2?
I never knew what the difference was between version 1 and 2. I have never found anything about it online either.

Keep it on

Old 09-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
https://klovimg.com/image/HRKii

https://klovimg.com/image/HRuUl

Here's my two discs. Still have to find Mrs. Skratchalot's
That's a bad ass compilation! I am missing Dub The Mic from the ones you have.

On all of the CD and Vinyl singles it was listed as Dub The Mic (Instrumental) with a track time of 4:27 plus or minus a second. The one that was released on the Sounds Of Science anthology was much shorter at 3:01. On your custom version the track time corresponds with the shorter version. So on the the actual anthology release and (probably) your custom disc there are edited versions of Dub The Mic. Could you rip it in WAV form so I can check it against the SOS commercially released version?

That would just leave Jimmy James (Single Version), and Sure Shot (European B-Boy Mix Instrumental) as the only two non album tracks available through Music Maker that have not been archived.

Thanks for following up. If you need me to do the same, I'm down.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The only reference to two different versions of The Vibes that I can find originate with the order form for the custom anthology that suggests there are two versions available. I ordered both, got them both, and can't tell any difference between either versions available to order, or any previously existing versions. Very much like having two different versions of Putting Shame In Your Game available for your custom anthology (Prunes remixes one and two).

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 09-03-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
The only reference to two different versions of The Vibes that I can find originate with the order form for the custom anthology that suggests there are two versions available. I ordered both, got them both, and can't tell any difference between either versions available to order, or any previously existing versions. Very much like having two different versions of Putting Shame In Your Game available for your custom anthology (Prunes remixes one and two).
Ah, ok. Probably just an error then.

I think I've mentioned this before, but these custom discs used to be a dime a dozen in the early 2000s back in my hometown. People were still buying CDs and then selling them to record stores for money. I never made one though.

I remember the CD version of the official Sounds of Science anthology came in this packaging that ended up really scratching the hell out of the CDs, often to the point where they'd skip after less than a year of use. Did the custom discs suffer this same packaging problem?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:40 PM
Music est. 1986

bigfatlove

any info of the negotiation Limerick file mario c extended mix?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
That's a bad ass compilation! I am missing Dub The Mic from the ones you have.

On all of the CD and Vinyl singles it was listed as Dub The Mic (Instrumental) with a track time of 4:27 plus or minus a second. The one that was released on the Sounds Of Science anthology was much shorter at 3:01. On your custom version the track time corresponds with the shorter version. So on the the actual anthology release and (probably) your custom disc there are edited versions of Dub The Mic. Could you rip it in WAV form so I can check it against the SOS commercially released version?

That would just leave Jimmy James (Single Version), and Sure Shot (European B-Boy Mix Instrumental) as the only two non album tracks available through Music Maker that have not been archived.

Thanks for following up. If you need me to do the same, I'm down.
Yeah, I can do that.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
bigfatlove

any info of the negotiation Limerick file mario c extended mix?
The beginning and ending of the track are the same as the album version, but between verses there is a longer break with essentially the same music. The album version is 2:47 and the extended mix is 3:14 with a longer fade out. So there is about an additional 25 or so seconds of additional audio (nothing new, more like the same audio looped twice) between verses 1&2/3&4.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 AM
PhD In Parapsychology

Quote:
The beginning and ending of the track are the same as the album version, but between verses there is a longer break with essentially the same music. The album version is 2:47 and the extended mix is 3:14 with a longer fade out. So there is about an additional 25 or so seconds of additional audio (nothing new, more like the same audio looped twice) between verses 1&2/3&4.
It's also the same version that's on the Negotiation Limerick File single.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:37 AM
PhD In Parapsychology

Decided to do some digging and found this on the internet archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/19991128...balb35743.html

Old 09-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Thanks guys! It's one of my favourite tunes, going to pop in the single version now and give it a re-listen.

Because of this thread I never knew the Dub the Mic version was longer on the 12 inch, listened to yesterday and could tell the differences.

Love the extra geeky stuff like this, it's why I keep on coming back to the boards.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Ah, ok. Probably just an error then.

I remember the CD version of the official Sounds of Science anthology came in this packaging that ended up really scratching the hell out of the CDs, often to the point where they'd skip after less than a year of use. Did the custom discs suffer this same packaging problem?
I never have had that issue with the custom discs.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Thank your for that Rodie! Having the screenshots to order online to compare vs the mail order form really helps a lot.

If you aren't a giant Beastie Nerd stop reading here I don't want to kill the thread by being overly verbose...

Both are really consistent with the exception that if you mail ordered every track versus ordering every track online your track listing might be different (because the tracks on the order form were alphabetized after removing "The" from the title, whereas the tracks available if you order online are alphabetized with "The" in the title). It is irrelevant, other than in hypothetical land you could have purchased every track via mail order or through the website and received two different track sequences. The "rarities" section isn't available on the way back link, but I think there is enough proof that those 42 tracks would have been listed in the same order that is consistent with all of the album and single tracks available. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Old 09-04-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Thank your for that Rodie! Having the screenshots to order online to compare vs the mail order form really helps a lot.

If you aren't a giant Beastie Nerd stop reading here I don't want to kill the thread by being overly verbose...

Both are really consistent with the exception that if you mail ordered every track versus ordering every track online your track listing might be different (because the tracks on the order form were alphabetized after removing "The" from the title, whereas the tracks available if you order online are alphabetized with "The" in the title). It is irrelevant, other than in hypothetical land you could have purchased every track via mail order or through the website and received two different track sequences. The "rarities" section isn't available on the way back link, but I think there is enough proof that those 42 tracks would have been listed in the same order that is consistent with all of the album and single tracks available. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Good catch. It is on the US promo, US acetate, Japan single, and Australia single
Old 09-13-2018, 08:03 AM

Anybody know a good upload/file sharing site I can use to get a wav to bigfatlove? What's a good one these days?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Anybody know a good upload/file sharing site I can use to get a wav to bigfatlove? What's a good one these days?
I'll create a folder on Dropbox and share it with you so you'll be able to send anything you like. PM with email, and thank you SO MUCH!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 PM

Here is the full list of tracks available along with notes. Thank you Sir SkratchaLot, Rodie, and Chuck for asking and answering so many Questions.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 09-13-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: props to people who helped.