Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 AM

Default Record Store Day

I know it's pretty early for most and if most indie stores are like mine and not opening till 10:30, but maybe someone has braved the stores and picked up the HSC Deluxe already?

Is it worth it?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:02 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Default Re: Record Store Day

I got back a little bit ago, I snagged the last one in the store I went to. I've briefly checked it out, it pretty much seems to be exactly what it says. The book is really nice, if that is the part you are most interested in. It's pretty large too, I was thinking it would be about the size of a DVD case but it's more like a text book. The photos are really cool and their's a nice foreword from Yauch (he just talks about the shoot, nothing about his health or the band). The Blu-Ray is nice, the video looks good and the audio mix of the album and remixes sounds really good. I'm no audiophile but it sounded really nice. As far as it being worth it, that's tough to say. I paid 60 plus tax which is more than I wanted to and more than I think it's worth, but I really wanted the Blu-Ray. The book is really nice and I enjoy it more than I thought I would. If you're on the fence though and you can find one I would say go for it because I called 3 stores and only one of them got any. They got 3 and by the time I got their the other two had sold out. Anyway, that's my take.

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 11-25-2011, 12:58 PM

i was wondering, is the Black Friday deal exactly the same as the package on pre-order thru this website?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:04 PM

It's $64 bucks.

No T-Shirt tho.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM

I got it. I was in and out. It looked they had 6 copies.
It was about 40 dollars cheaper then on-line and I didn't care about the shirt to be honest.

The photos are awesome and the forward by Yauch was touching and nice to read.

I also enjoy all the photos of Yauch smiling and laughing. It's good to see him enjoying himself.

I don't have a decent enough sound system for the DVD and blue-ray to matter, but I really wanted the book.

It's big too!

Worth it
Old 11-25-2011, 01:38 PM

thanks for the recap W.O.S.

any chance you might like to transcribe that foreword by Mr. Yauch?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turchinator View Post
thanks for the recap W.O.S.

any chance you might like to transcribe that foreword by Mr. Yauch?

I will, but in a little while. I got to run.

Oh there is also a script of FFYRR and a list of all the actors and their characters
Old 11-25-2011, 05:17 PM

Also each song on the DVD has one of the sketch characters associated with it.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
I will, but in a little while. I got to run.

Oh there is also a script of FFYRR and a list of all the actors and their characters

Here is the Yauch opening.

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT REVISITED:

The original idea for the video was based on the question, what happened after the party in the original Fight For Your Right video? As I started writing it, I had the crazy idea of having some of my favorite actors playing all of the roles which became the prominent character of the overall piece.

One thing became clear as I started reaching out to cast people, they were up for being in a Beastie Boys video. So the cast started coming together pretty easily and quickly. As the cast list grew I thought , I can't have all of these amazing actors on set and not have dialog for them.

So I started writing scenes. The idea was that the song would pause and dialog would happen, then it would start up again. Most of the time when you make music videos the song is king and you bend the footage to fit the song, speeding it up, slowing it down... in this case I was determined to have the footage rule the show, and bend the music to fit the storyline.

The actors showed up for the fitting the day before shooting and I handed them my script, part of me cringing thinking "oh my god is this going to work?" and the actors would look at me and say " you want me to learn this for tomorrow?" and I'd meekly say " um, yes"...

Over the course of the next three days of shooting, a constant stream of people came through and touched the project in their own unique way. It was amazing to be involved with making this video/short, so much so, I am not sure if I can convey how grateful I am to all of the cast an crew for their hard . But most of all I want to send back tons of love to my daughter Losel and wife Dechen for all of the support and love they show me all of the time.
I love you guys more than you can ever know.

Let this book be dedicated to anyone who gets enjoyment out of it.
May it and the video bring the same laughter and happiness to you that it did for us making it.

Wednesday August 10th 2011 NYC.

Adam Yauch
Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM

Wow. That seriously hit me hard.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Quote:

The original idea for the video was based on the question, what happened after the party in the original Fight For Your Right video? As I started writing it, I had the crazy idea of having some of my favorite actors playing all of the roles which became the prominent character of the overall piece.

One thing became clear as I started reaching out to cast people, they were up for being in a Beastie Boys video. So the cast started coming together pretty easily and quickly. As the cast list grew I thought , I can't have all of these amazing actors on set and not have dialog for them.

So I started writing scenes. The idea was that the song would pause and dialog would happen, then it would start up again. Most of the time when you make music videos the song is king and you bend the footage to fit the song, speeding it up, slowing it down... in this case I was determined to have the footage rule the show, and bend the music to fit the storyline.

The actors showed up for the fitting the day before shooting and I handed them my script, part of me cringing thinking "oh my god is this going to work?" and the actors would look at me and say " you want me to learn this for tomorrow?" and I'd meekly say " um, yes"...

Over the course of the next three days of shooting, a constant stream of people came through and touched the project in their own unique way. It was amazing to be involved with making this video/short, so much so, I am not sure if I can convey how grateful I am to all of the cast an crew for their hard . But most of all I want to send back tons of love to my daughter Losel and wife Dechen for all of the support and love they show me all of the time.

May it and the video bring the same laughter and happiness to you that it did for us making it.

Adam Yauch
Awhhhhhhhhh! i cant wait to get the book and everything
thanks for sharing!

I Love Adam Yauch.
I truly lost apart of myself.
Rap in peace my beautiful friend.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:45 PM

man that's so awesome that Yauch put that down in pen like that, thanks two million times WesleyOHSnaps...

I'm also glad the Mike Mills characters are making their comeback, I have been researching them and kind of obsessing over their meaning since the album came out...
Old 11-26-2011, 03:12 AM

Very much worth it.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Waiting patiently for my stuff to get HERE! Yauchs words are sweet and from the heart. So glad he won for best director because lots of love went into that project and he deserved it.

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Anyone know how many of the RSD ones were made? I am just curious. I was hoping they were numbered but they are not (at least on the outside). I have yet to open mine yet. I am debating on whether I should or not.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 AM
shaZam!

Quote:

Adam Yauch
Thanks for posting this WesleyOHSnaps!

Very touching and yes, the video and the record brought me so much fun , it's in my heart forever. THANK YOU!!!

Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
Yeah, funky bilingual
Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 PM
CANADA'S BIGGEST BBOY FAN

Got mine today! Beautiful! So glad I got my copy, pictures of Yauch and the boys are priceless! Hope to see them as happy as they are in the photos of the book, on stage again.

http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/

Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 AM
hotchedder

What remixes are on this?

Can someone post the track list?

http://www.ronpaul2012.com

I love you MCA. Thank you for everything.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmiley1 View Post
Anyone know how many of the RSD ones were made? I am just curious. I was hoping they were numbered but they are not (at least on the outside). I have yet to open mine yet. I am debating on whether I should or not.
5000 were made. I would open it.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchedder View Post
What remixes are on this?

Can someone post the track list?
19 MSN Cornelius Remix
20 MSN Passion Pit Shuttle Remix
21 MSN Passion Pit Remix
22 MSN Bug Remix
23 DPNG Sebastian Remix
24 SPNG Major Lazer Remix Edition
25 DPNG K. Flay Remix
26 DPNG Z-Trip's Evil Twin Remix
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Amoeba Records on Sunset still has three or four copies left from their Record Day Stash.

I've got mine but can't open it 'till Christmas