Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 07-28-2022, 10:04 AM
space cake cookie

Default Beastie Boys were masters of cultural appropriation

https://spectatorworld.com/book-and-...appropriation/

haha

Written by:

Rich Cromwell

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 07-28-2022, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Beastie Boys were masters of cultural appropriation

Can anyone sneak me behind that paywall?
Old 07-28-2022, 02:30 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Seconding. The ambiguity is kind of gnawing at me. Champion or hater....?

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 07-28-2022, 02:37 PM

It says 3 free articles a month if you register your email...
Old 07-28-2022, 04:17 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
Seconding. The ambiguity is kind of gnawing at me. Champion or hater....?
exactly right. i'm like what the fuck are you trying to say, especially after writing a bullshit headline like that. then i just got mad and wanted to hunt him down like one of those rich people hunting humans on an island.

Last edited by dust monkey : 07-28-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:18 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Beastie Boys were masters of cultural appropriation
Yet liberal New Yorkers just named an intersection after them

In New York in the 1980s, anyone could be anything. That’s how a punk group comprised of three Jewish kids was able to socially transition into hip-hop, team up with super-producer Rick Rubin and go on to release the first rap album to crack the Billboard 200. Beastie Boys, as they were known, consisted of Michael “Mike D” Diamond, Adam “Ad-Rock” Horovitz and Adam “MCA” Yauch. The Billboard-cracking album Licensed to Ill was an instant classic that launched the group into superstardom.

Full of swagger and juvenile nonsense, as well as jabs at swagger and juvenile nonsense, the record was merely the beginning of a long and influential career, one that only ended when, in 2012, MCA died of cancer. One year later, Brooklyn renamed a park in the honor of one of its favorite sons. Now, the city that made Beastie Boys has done the same for the entire trio, renaming the intersection where the cover image for their second album, Paul’s Boutique, was taken as Beastie Boys Square.

This is a mistake. For starters, I regret to inform you that Paul’s Boutique never actually existed. The store in the photo was actually known as Lee’s Sportswear and the Beasties erased whoever Lee was for the album cover.

And second, while the man behind the name change, LeRoy McCarthy, praised the move, saying that while “it took a long time, hip-hop don’t stop,” it ignores the fact that the Beasties’ entire career was an act of cultural appropriation. I should know. As a white kid growing up in an area where the local arts center offered breakdancing classes and boomboxes on shoulders was the norm, Licensed to Ill was the first hip-hop cassette those of us on the paler side of the spectrum really rallied around.

It probably didn’t help that we missed the jabs at swagger and juvenile nonsense on display in “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party).” I could personally blame this on the fact that I was in fourth grade at the time, but my youthful lack of understanding on the issue is compounded by my love for Elvis Presley, another notorious appropriator.

Some, like the aforementioned McCarthy, who is a black man, may point to the fact that hip-hop was born in New York — and the cultural milieu of the city built the artform now known the world over. Others might point out the positive impact Beastie Boys had on spreading that artform around the globe. Still others could counter that I, as a white man, should sit this one out.

However, any such arguments against my position, whether real or imaginary, are wrong. Culture is not the product of the passage of time, of our surroundings, of the people we interact with, or of the shared flourishing of humanity. Culture is a fixed product arising from the ether in distinct geographical locations and to specific peoples and it’s supposed to stay with those people and in those locations.

Before we progress, I must apologize for my own insensitivity regarding this matter. Not only was the first album I ever owned a copy of Elvis’s Gold Hits, not only did I have Licensed to Ill on cassette, I have also seen Beastie Boys in concert.

It was 1998 and they were touring in support of Hello Nasty, their fifth studio album. We traveled from our remote outpost in Arkansas all the way to Kansas City, a drive upwards of three hours each way, to see them perform at what was then known as Kemper Arena. The internet tells me it was on August 7. A Tribe Called Quest opened for them.

I am ashamed at how much I loved the show and how, even now, I still describe that act of theft with words like “incredible,” “amazing” and “unforgettable.” Being in an arena meant that some of the seats were not directly facing the stage but facing the side of the stage. No worries, though. In order to best culturally assault everyone, Beastie Boys had a special platform in the center that rotated periodically, giving everyone a view of them as they offered an energetic and engaging performance, one that I’ll never forget.

Alas, I mean thankfully that was the only time I went to a Beasties concert. I did get to see the DJ from that tour, Mix Master Mike, spin records solo at a club in Nashville a few years later, but that’s neither here nor there. I’m also definitely not listening to Licensed to Ill while writing this column.

With the dissolution of the band, Beastie Boys and their reign of appropriative terror could have been relegated to streaming services, CDs, DVDs, books, movies, an upcoming four-LP release of 1992’s Check Your Head and my playlists. With this move by New York, though, now they will live in infamy forever, or at least until someone successfully petitions the city to rename Beastie Boys Square to honor either Lee, of sportswear fame, or the indigenous people who ran the store before him.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:23 PM
space cake cookie

https://twitter.com/TheSpectator/sta...09544388579328

let him know how you feel.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:52 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
He's a stupid person. He may have an acquired brain injury. Not sure if my feedback will help.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 07-28-2022, 08:06 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

I dont get it lol.

Is this dude hating or a fan. Did this go over my head?

The argument for cultural appropriation wasn’t even made
Old 07-28-2022, 10:18 PM

That article is either satire that we're not getting, or just really, really confused. I should also note that the author is a senior contributor to The Federalist, which is a fairly hard-Right organization, so it definitely seems odd that he's doing this whole "cultural appropriation" bit since - last I checked - American conservatives aren't really concerned with that.

As others have mentioned, he never actually explains how the Beastie Boys are masters of cultural appropriation, other than that they get into rap, which was a distinctly Black musical form. But the term "cultural appropriation" means a lot more than "one group doing something another group started." If that were the definition, every culture would be masters of appropriating someone else's culture. Also, his very definition of culture would not be shared by any serious person who has studied culture. Culture isn't a fixed thing at all: most anthropologists of culture are borderline obsessed with discussing how cultures are transmitted over and over again (through drift, diffusion, etc.)

I think this guy is just shitposting, trying to rile people up to get comments or views or whatever. This article reads like a farcical version of a anxiety-riddled White liberal self-flagellating over his musical choices, which is probably a result of his being a totally insincere right-winger just trying to stir the pot.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:42 AM

He's being sarcastic. Trying to be funny, but he's just not that good at it.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:25 AM
shaZam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
He's a stupid person. He may have an acquired brain injury. Not sure if my feedback will help.
Hahaha!!

And he gets paid for writing shit?!

Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
Yeah, funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 08-01-2022, 07:10 AM
technically insane

i would love to be the first one to bring a great article to this page.

I started reading this and straight up after the first sentence I moved on. Glad I did not miss anything.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 08-01-2022, 11:45 AM

Okay, he's definitely joking.

"I’m also definitely not listening to Licensed to Ill while writing this column."
Old 08-01-2022, 01:39 PM
crazy sniffable

Wow, talk about a clown. Even if he didn't completely shit the bed in terms of communicating the satirical nature of this writing, the joke would have still not been even mildly amusing at that.

Do we know for certain he's joking? Could somebody really be this feeble at writing satire?

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 08-02-2022, 09:57 AM
space cake cookie

i don't think satire or joke. if i'm wrong then well played, but i think he's deadly serious about liberal NY'ers and railing against them for naming ludlow/rivington.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:59 AM

I think your take is pretty on. He's basically trolling extra pc liberals with their own game. Mocking them. The joke never really lands though. It's just not done very well.

Quote:
That article is either satire that we're not getting, or just really, really confused. I should also note that the author is a senior contributor to The Federalist, which is a fairly hard-Right organization, so it definitely seems odd that he's doing this whole "cultural appropriation" bit since - last I checked - American conservatives aren't really concerned with that.

As others have mentioned, he never actually explains how the Beastie Boys are masters of cultural appropriation, other than that they get into rap, which was a distinctly Black musical form. But the term "cultural appropriation" means a lot more than "one group doing something another group started." If that were the definition, every culture would be masters of appropriating someone else's culture. Also, his very definition of culture would not be shared by any serious person who has studied culture. Culture isn't a fixed thing at all: most anthropologists of culture are borderline obsessed with discussing how cultures are transmitted over and over again (through drift, diffusion, etc.)

I think this guy is just shitposting, trying to rile people up to get comments or views or whatever. This article reads like a farcical version of a anxiety-riddled White liberal self-flagellating over his musical choices, which is probably a result of his being a totally insincere right-winger just trying to stir the pot.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:59 AM
shaZam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott View Post
I started reading this and straight up after the first sentence I moved on. Glad I did not miss anything.
Same here...read the title...first sentence...then read another sentence saying It's mistake...had a Song playing in head, light up my joint and moved on...

Yeah, funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!