Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Default Hot Sauce Committee Samples

I don't know if it has ever been said, or if other people have proposed this theory but ever since I read the liner notes when HSC pt2 came out and I tried looking up the sample sources I just came to nothing but dead ends. Then it got me thinking that the boys pulled a Madlib and they created all of the "bands" that they sampled themselves. Just looking at some of the band names seems like names they would come up with, "the love boat crew" lol. Musically it makes sense because they had already been playing again as a band mixing up a ton of styles and influences with the mix up so they had a lot of their own material to sample. The music industry and especially hip hop changed and more and more sampleing is just economical unfeasable (unfortunately). Even looking at the record label credits for some of the sampled songs all of the labels are either made up or owned by Capital or Univeral Music. The best part is that the songs are mixed and processed and layered in the classic B Boy fashion that it sounds like it could be Samples, and in the few interviews that they did they even said it was a mix of sampling live instruments and "obscure" samples. I miss their sarcastic humor in interviews almost as much as the music now.

This was such a great record in their catalogue, a Beastie Boys record through and through reperesenting their entire career and catalogue is sound, fun, and aesthetic. Favorite group of all time.

Don't look Down on a Man, unless you gonna pick him up. -From a mural in NW DC.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Hot Sauce Committee Samples

I remember before HSC was originally supposed to come out, there was a short preview while they were in the studio, maybe in NME or something. And one of them said something like they'd be scouting old record stores around the world, dusting off old vinyl and trying to find the most obscure samples possible. I believed it at first, and then remembered who we were dealing with.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:18 AM

What's up Fatlip?

message board

Old 06-14-2017, 06:21 AM

Yeah I feel like that theory was touted about when the album first came out. It's certainly how I feel about the sampled bands on the album. It's a good theory.

Also I am not looking at the loner notes right now, but I believe they credit their music video editor Neil something or other as the Saxaphone player on DPNGTICW. (I mean he "could" be. But that also felt like another joke to me.)

message board

Old 06-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I'd have to imagine that if a band is so obscure that no one can find anything online about it, it would be equally as difficult to clear a sample with the controlling company (which no one can find either). I doubt they'd use a sample without clearance these days after all they went through with samples in the past.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 PM

Arrow Re: Hot Sauce Committee Samples

I never even looked at the liner notes but I always assumed most of it was them sampling themselves for the sole reason that many of the sounds have similar sonic qualities to the The Mixup. Make Some Noise is a good example.

I would expect if there were a lot of samples that the sonic palate would be wider.

Also, with all the heat they've gotten in the past, almost like they were singled out, I can understand why they'd be like "fuck it".

Anyway, they completely nailed it! It's such a unique and interesting album.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Music est. 1986

I have brought up this topic many times before.

It's been debated but I'm pretty sure all the sample sources in the linear notes are made up. You can't find one artist, song title or record label they mentioned anywhere on the internet or in record stores. They could have a wide discography but it's pretty hard for all three of those categories to have no trace.

I'm pretty sure they were influenced by the break on the Barkays Holy Ghost for the break on Funky Donkey.

I was also listening to the intro of Money Mark's "Dha Teen Ta" of the Push the Button LP and it seems like that's where they could have sampled / gotten the inspiration for "Pop Your Balloon"
Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

the editor guy is a legit sax player

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Edit: NM. Posted to wrong topic

Last edited by MrSmiley1 : 06-16-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
the editor guy is a legit sax player
Oh? Cool.

message board

Old 07-04-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
I have brought up this topic many times before.

It's been debated but I'm pretty sure all the sample sources in the linear notes are made up. You can't find one artist, song title or record label they mentioned anywhere on the internet or in record stores. They could have a wide discography but it's pretty hard for all three of those categories to have no trace.

I'm pretty sure they were influenced by the break on the Barkays Holy Ghost for the break on Funky Donkey.

I was also listening to the intro of Money Mark's "Dha Teen Ta" of the Push the Button LP and it seems like that's where they could have sampled / gotten the inspiration for "Pop Your Balloon"
I noticed the Dha Teen Ta vs Pop Your Balloon sample as well. I cant prove it definitively, but it is the only thing on the entire album that I am pretty certain was lifted.