Old 05-07-2023, 08:44 PM

Default MORE Nerdy Shit in '92

Although I'm still waiting for the brain trust to magically resolve all of the questions I posted in my original thread (http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=100932), I thought I'd post round two just so others may be entertained by the questions that gnaw at me and appear to have no answer.

1. Skinny Boys sample on 3MCs and 1DJ:
Beastie Boys sampled probably the most notorious rip-off group of all time - Skinny Boys - on 3MCs and 1DJ in the break right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsPGMbXInIk&t=110s

So they took "You gatta - gatta - " and then recoded "gatta get down." But as most of you probably know, on import versions of the album, the full Skinny Boys sample "You gatta - gatta - getta be fresh" is used.

Why? If a sample wasn't cleared and had to be removed, you'd think they'd have to remove the entire sample and not just a fraction of a second, all the while leaving half of the original sample in. I know that a Snoop Dogg sample was scratched on that track on US versions, and I know that Can't Won't Don't Stop dropped the Furious Five sample and became The Grasshopper Unit in the US, but those make sense. If there was a sample issues, then the sample was removed. BUT WHY JUST PART OF THE SKINNY BOYS SAMPLE!!?!

2.) The In Sound From Way Out track listing
This one has been discussed many times before, but fuck it. Why does the CD version have a different track listing than the vinyl version (talking legit copies only). The CD has instrumental version of Namaste and Lighten Up while the vinyl version does not. The vinyl version has Futterman's Rule while the CD does not. I get adding Namaste and Lighten up to the CD versions since the CD came out later and maybe they realized they could add more material, but why remove Futterman's Rule? That's one of their hardest-hitting instrumentals, and they just pulled it off the CD?

3.) Time For Livin' / Professor Booty phasing?
I have asked for someone to explain "phasing" to me multiple times, including on this message board, and many people have done a great job, but I am apparently just a moron and can't understand it, so we have to move past that.

Sub-Question A: Time for Livin' is notorious for having been recorded "out of phase," and I - like many people - thought I had an instrumental version of it for a while because I was playing it as a CD on a mono diskman or some shit like that - I don't know. But my question is: did this "phasing" issue affect every version of Time For Livin? CD, tape, vinyl? Did they fix it on reissues (and if not, why not)?

Sub-Question B: I have the UK single sided "etched" vinyl version of the Pass the Mic single (https://www.beastiemania.com/discog/show.php?g=ptm#169), and when played on a normal stereo system, the cut up of "well I think it's booty, boo - boo - boo, booty. That's what it is" is all wacked out. It sounds like it's about the go from the right to left speaker, but then just vanishes. This happens a couple of times. Is this the same issue as Time For Livin? Why doesn't this happen on any other version of Professor Booty I've ever listened to? I have pretty much every Pass The Mic vinyl single and every single that Professor Booty has appeared on, and this UK etched version is the only one with the problem.

4. Beastie Boys Music misprint.
Over on the Beastie Boys subreddit, some person complained that they got a copy of Beastie Boys Music on vinyl and it has some Spanish music printed on one disc. Has anyone else heard of this? I PM'd the person but they never wrote back. I wanted to see if I could get scans on the vinyl or the run-out matrixes, but no such luck.

May you find pleasure in my completely unnecessary angst.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:31 AM

Arrow Re: MORE Nerdy Shit in '92

1. 3MCs: Not sure on the Skinny Boys sample. My best guess would be artistic choice.

2. In Sound From Way Out: This was originally a vinyl only mail-order release that was a compilation of tracks from other Beastie Boys records. You sent your check to Grand Royal and they shipped the record and I believe that was the only way to get it. Sometime later they decided to do a wider release, and at that point they went back and made alterations to certain songs, like removing lyrics from Lighten Up and Namaste. It's a fairly safe assumption that they had a small-scale project that caught on and when the did the wider release they decided to put some more effort into the audio program.

3. Time for Living: Here's a description of what's going on. https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/out-of-phase/. Was this a thing with Mullet Head too? Anyway, I can't remember if this was an intentional choice or not. Seems like something MCA might have done on purpose.

I'll have to check my Pass the Mic etched record. I wonder if that's a pressing flaw.

4. Beastie Boys Music. This is almost certainly just a pressing plant error. You hear about this on occasion with other records.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:03 PM

Default Re: MORE Nerdy Shit in '92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
2. In Sound From Way Out: This was originally a vinyl only mail-order release that was a compilation of tracks from other Beastie Boys records. You sent your check to Grand Royal and they shipped the record and I believe that was the only way to get it. Sometime later they decided to do a wider release, and at that point they went back and made alterations to certain songs, like removing lyrics from Lighten Up and Namaste. It's a fairly safe assumption that they had a small-scale project that caught on and when the did the wider release they decided to put some more effort into the audio program.
But see that's what I don't get. I know about the mail-order first press, how there was the numbered limited gold edition, then the black first edition as well, and then of course reissues after that. But if they sat down to "put some more effort" into the CDs once they realized how big the vinyl had blown up, why drop Futterman's Rule? There's enough space left on the disc I'd assume. And I can't imagine they scrapped Futterman's Rule for - I'm sorry - the far inferior instrumental version of Lighten Up or Namaste.

Here's my best guess on this: they let Adrock handle the CD and he forgot about Futterman's Rule and just went "Oops... oh well" and no one ever caught it. My evidence? None. However, on the 2009 audio commentary for Ill Communication, Adrock is surprised when Futterman's Rule comes on and asks "Wait Futterman's Rule is on the album? I thought it was a b-side or something."

Let's spread this rumor and ultimately convince Adam of it so that he'll accept it as the official story and I can create my own closure...