Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 06-05-2023, 07:30 AM

Default Here's a Little Somethin For Ya 7"

Alright I'm a total obscure singles nerd so I have to know: which one of you found this?

https://www.beastiemania.com/discog/...ngburn7uspromo
Old 06-05-2023, 08:06 AM

Arrow Re: Here's a Little Somethin For Ya 7"

What the ... I have to know more.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Here's a Little Somethin For Ya 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
What the ... I have to know more.
Right!?

1.) Who found this and how?

2.) Are the Here's a Little Something lyrics the same as the ones that came on the DJ Shadow single (where Yauch references getting a screw in his leg?)

3.) This doesn't look like a test pressing: were there a bunch of them made and just never released?
Old 06-05-2023, 01:11 PM
crazy sniffable

Sounds like a similar treatment to the Lee Majors 7" easter egg that some folks found in their deluxe vinyl boxes, with B Boys In The Cut on the b-side. Some got the acapella, and others got the instrumental.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 06-05-2023, 03:43 PM
Music est. 1986

From Beastiemania: Originally pressed as a bonus 7" for one of the 2009 series of Remastered Deluxe Editions on vinyl, this release was ultimately shelved, and never released.
Side A contains the A Cappella version of "Here's A Little Something For Ya" from 2009 before the lyrics were changed and released on "Hot Sauce Committee Part Two".
The B Side contains the original 2009 version of "Long Burn The Fire" before it was remixed by Philippe Zdar.

If anyone has this and upload the audio and share that would be amazing!

I wonder how many of these are out in circulation. Love the old school Capitol Subsidiary Swirl Label
Old 06-06-2023, 05:13 AM
crazy sniffable

Better yet, is the instrumental HLSFY 7” out there somewhere…

Old 06-06-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
Sounds like a similar treatment to the Lee Majors 7" easter egg that some folks found in their deluxe vinyl boxes, with B Boys In The Cut on the b-side. Some got the acapella, and others got the instrumental.
Oh really? I thought the bonus 7" was either some random one from their collection, or it was "Lee Majors Comes Again / B-Boys in the Cut Acapella." I didn't think there was a version where the instrumental version was provided. Does anyone here have that version?
Old 06-06-2023, 01:04 PM

THIS is the kinda of post that still has me checking this board a couple times a week!

I'm a big collector and I certainly don't have this "HLSFY" 7" -- and how is this coming to light now after 10 YEARS?!

Also, I agree with tuc0021 -- I don't have or remember there being a "Lee Majors" 7" that features "B-Boys in the Cut (Instrumental)" -- only the accapella
Old 06-06-2023, 03:51 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan2276 View Post

Also, I agree with tuc0021 -- I don't have or remember there being a "Lee Majors" 7" that features "B-Boys in the Cut (Instrumental)" -- only the accapella
There is still some excitement on these boards. At this point, I think check the boards from muscle memory/habit.

As I remember the B-Boys in the Cut instrumental was released online through their newsletter or something similar.

The remixers had the task of piecing the bits together.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:08 AM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
There is still some excitement on these boards. At this point, I think check the boards from muscle memory/habit.
site is working at full speed again too.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 06-07-2023, 06:33 PM
Current Member

Very cool. Even now I reflect a lot on 2009. I assume this 7” would have been the random drop in the HN reissues? After the positive response to Lee Majors and Cut at the time, Long Burn would have absolutely blown back our collective wigs. Especially on the back of Bonnaroo.

Damn.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-08-2023, 08:26 AM
crazy sniffable

apologies, i could very likely be mistaken in regards to where the BBITC originally surfaced.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:05 PM

I’ll do my best to fill in the gaps as well as possible.

From tuc70021
1.) Who found this and how?

It was listed on eBay and won by someone who contacted us to help dig in and see if it was legit.

2.) Are the Here's a Little Something lyrics the same as the ones that came on the DJ Shadow single (where Yauch references getting a screw in his leg?)
The lyrics are from the 2009 version.

3.) This doesn't look like a test pressing: were there a bunch of them made and just never released?
From the seller as related to the buyer “I have a friend who has worked very closely with The Beastie Boys since 'Check Your Head' days. He told me they pressed this 7" to go in one of the more recent deluxe reissues of one of their albums (may have been Hello Nasty) as a little surprise but right at the last minute they decided not include it. He's sitting on boxes of them! I got two so thought I would let one go.”

From brooklyndust
If anyone has this and upload the audio and share that would be amazing!

Follow this thread.

I wonder how many of these are out in circulation. Love the old school Capitol Subsidiary Swirl Label
We don’t know how many there are, just the sellers info that “He’s sitting on boxes of them”! The label was something we considered. These are my thoughts which I sent to the buyer
“Since it has no copyright date you would have to play it to find out if it was actually supposed to be a bonus 7" for the 2009 Check Your Head reissue, or an actual bonus 7" for the HSCP2 (delayed from HSCP1 and renamed from 2009). The key would be the lyrics on Here's A Little Something For Ya.

We know that the lyrics are different on the 2009 and the 2011 version. The 2009 version was mixed by DJ Shadow on the DJ Hero Soundtrack. All of those had a track time of 4:05. The 2011 version that we got on HSCP2 was 3:08. So if the pella is actually 2:53 it is probably the original 2009 (which was never released other than as a DJ Shadow mash up). So it follows that (If it is legit) it would have the original lyrics, without any of the DJ Shadow reworkings. As far as the Long Burn The Fire song, we only ever had the 2011 version. So, if it is legit that would also be the 2009 version. Incidentally, the track time on the 2011 version is 3:53. That would mean that these are both hypothetically pre Philippe Zdar tracks.

The other tricky part about it is that the label (is similar to) the old Capitol design that was used for the Anthology 4xLP labels in 2000. It isn't the same as the Lee Majors Come Again 7" that was actually a part of the 2009 Check Your Head Box Set or the 2011 B-Boys In The Cut 7" from Hot Sauce Committee Part 2. You can make whatever you want of that fact, I just think it is interesting.

In any case, I would buy this immediately if given the chance…

It looks legit to me, but comes with a lot of questions that can't really be answered unless we hear the audio. I hope that helps, and please update us with any info.”

From Brother McDuff
Better yet, is the instrumental HLSFY 7” out there somewhere…

I can’t prove it, but the answer is almost certainly yes. It is probably not on vinyl, but definitely out there because DJ Shadow had to have the instrumental version to make his mix. The 2011 Zdar produced instrumental has been out there since the blu-ray release (5.1 dolby surround sound mix converted to stereo without the center channel which contained vocals), but the 2009 pre-Zdar version hasn’t surfaced as far as we know. Whether or not the changes are significant are open for debate. Most of my research into the pre Zdar versions has been trying to track them all down so we can hear the difference.

This is my train of thought in that it probably was intended to be a bonus 7” for one of the Deluxe Reissues, or possibly as the bonus 7” for the release of Hot Sauce Committee part two. Read the response to Bid Dan (shout out), for an explanation of how the tracks were released. Just to avoid confusion.

From bigdan2276
I don't have or remember there being a "Lee Majors" 7" that features "B-Boys in the Cut (Instrumental)" -- only the accapella

The BBITC chronology goes basically like this... The 2009 instrumental was sent to fans via an email from beastieboys.com. The “hook” for the song was sent out the same way. The 2009 accapella was then released as the B-side for the Lee Majors Come Again promo 7” that was released first as random copies inserted in the 4xLP Check Your Head 4xLP Box collection in 2009, and later as independent record store giveaways for customers who purchased Hot Sauce Committee Part Two in 2011 (both versions are identical). In 2009 the instrumental, hook, and accapella were made available on beastiemixes.com and remixed (shout out to nYgel) into a complete track. Then in 2011 the complete official track was released as the A-side of the bonus 7” included in Deluxe Packages for Hot Sauce Committee Part Two. I couldn’t say whether or not Zdar made changes in his production on the 2011 version, but to my untrained ear, it does not seem so.

From Kid Presentable
Very cool. Even now I reflect a lot on 2009. I assume this 7” would have been the random drop in the HN reissues? After the positive response to Lee Majors and Cut at the time, Long Burn would have absolutely blown back our collective wigs. Especially on the back of Bonnaroo. Damn

This is the closest to my thoughts. Here’s a little speculation for ya. Before and after the 2009 release of HSCP1 was interrupted, and decisions about the eventual release of the album had to be made, the idea of a bonus 7” was obviously in play for any and all of the Deluxe reissues as well as what eventually became HSCP2. Prior to the delay the plan was in place and ready to go. That is what HSCP1 would have been. After the decision was made to delay the album we got what we got. There is a line of delineation between what was planned and what happened. The most notable difference between the two were the reworking of the tracks via Phillippe Zdar. So however much anyone wants to refer to interviews or other speculation about the difference between the planned release of HSCP1 and the actual HSCP2, all that we can say for certain is that both versions did exist. In my head I classify them both as pre and post Zdar involvement. Two different versions exist, one from 2009 which we never got, and one from 2011 which we did. So finding the 2009 (pre Zdar production) versions approximates as closely as can be determined what HSCP1 would have sounded like. Any track that appeared on both versions contains a pre and post Zdar version including instrumentals, accapellas, and final versions (one from 2009 and one from 2011). This 7” is definitely a 2009 version based on the lyrics.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:01 PM

...and just like that, bigfatlove descends from the heavens to bless the thread...

Also, someone is sitting on BOXES of these?!?!?! OPEN THE DAMN BOXES MAN! Get Adam and Mike to sign off by telling them all the proceeds will go to dog shelters and sandwich awareness organizations or something. Make it happen!
Old 06-09-2023, 04:45 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
...and just like that, bigfatlove descends from the heavens to bless the thread...

Also, someone is sitting on BOXES of these?!?!?! OPEN THE DAMN BOXES MAN! Get Adam and Mike to sign off by telling them all the proceeds will go to dog shelters and sandwich awareness organizations or something. Make it happen!
Be Adam and Mike sitting on them surely?

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-09-2023, 08:38 AM

HSC 1 does exist if this helps…

thank you Adam.

Old 06-09-2023, 02:44 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
....sandwich awareness organizations or something. Make it happen!
ha

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 06-09-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Be Adam and Mike sitting on them surely?
If Mike has them, he's probably working with Record Store Day to organize a special release as part of a carefully planned "Vault" series.

If Adam as them, he's probably forgotten about them and once he finds them, will just leave them on the side of the road with a hand written sign that says "Free kinda weird 45s if you're into it... whatever" taped to the box.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:38 PM
technically insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
no it does not

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 06-10-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
Do you know if any CDs / physical copies of the original part 1 (ie. what became part 2 but pre-Zdar mix) exist? Loved that cover! And the original tracklisting with Tadlock’s as an opener. Also just curious as to the general sound. It remains a fascinating artefact.

Unless when you refer to part 1, you mean the second set of songs which would have originally been part 2 if the original part 1 release had gone as planned. But let’s not start that debate again. I assume those unreleased songs will surface a la Adrock’s recent comments.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 06-10-2023, 10:55 PM

Have a look here and here

If you want to go further down the rabbit hole keep watching this thread.
Old 06-10-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
Do you know if any CDs / physical copies of the original part 1 (ie. what became part 2 but pre-Zdar mix) exist? Loved that cover! And the original tracklisting with Tadlock’s as an opener. Also just curious as to the general sound. It remains a fascinating artefact.

Unless when you refer to part 1, you mean the second set of songs which would have originally been part 2 if the original part 1 release had gone as planned. But let’s not start that debate again. I assume those unreleased songs will surface a la Adrock’s recent comments.
I imagine physical copies do exist of the original part 1. I haven't been able to dig one up, unfortunately. I like that you used the term artifact, because it is basically a search for the undiscovered fossils that were Part 1. Digital copies were reviewed here, and discussed with tongue firmly implanted in cheek here.

The physical copies would have to be in house and are probably only available as CDR Acetates, because it does not appear that they ever got to the test press stage.

The most bountiful resource of the 2009 versions have come from things that were distributed prior to the announcement that the album would be delayed. Zdar's involvement seems to be the most concrete line of delineation between what was originally planned and what we got as HSCP2. I imagine that tracks that were sent out to potential re mixers in 2009 still exist, and probably provide the most promising source of original HSCP1 material. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 06-10-2023 at 11:47 PM. Reason: another link
Old 06-11-2023, 12:31 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
Have a look here and here

If you want to go further down the rabbit hole keep watching this thread.
Crazy artefacts. Muddy as could be expected but thank you for these.

Also for clarity: Two versions of the first hot sauce. The one planned and then the one released. One version of the second (ostensibly), being Adam’s aforementioned “whole other album”.

Edit: just to add this planned version is hella fun to hear. They were about to just drop a heater on the fans. Crazy to think about.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 06-11-2023 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 08:04 AM
Current Member

Ps Dr ochek was the original 3rd so the change to Dr Carlton Brassiere must have happened really late in the planned timeline.

I think Andre said they were working on vocals up until the 11th hour on the planned route (citing Long Burn I think). Like Pop Your Balloon changed even before it’s planned release. Is it possible then that the Dj Hero mix with Shadow is based on a slightly outdated (at the time) acapella? And only MCA’s queens up front verse (which slaps) is Zdar specific?

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-11-2023, 03:55 PM
beastie_freakfreak

Im the one who bagged it off eBay 😁

From a seller in London. Says he got it from someone who knows.the band and is sat on a box of them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrxTZBMN...RlODBiNWFlZA==

"When you've got so much to say..."

Old 06-11-2023, 04:46 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J DEVIOUS View Post
Im the one who bagged it off eBay 😁

From a seller in London. Says he got it from someone who knows.the band and is sat on a box of them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrxTZBMN...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Nice. This is a third version of the acapella, and while I believe 100% it’s from 2009 it’s not the one from the DJ Shadow mash up.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-12-2023, 12:38 AM
beastie_freakfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Nice. This is a third version of the acapella, and while I believe 100% it’s from 2009 it’s not the one from the DJ Shadow mash up.
Man, I was convinced it was the a cappella shadow used. But a third version? 🤯 Makes you wonder how many more unused lyric variations they're sat on.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:34 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J DEVIOUS View Post
Man, I was convinced it was the a cappella shadow used. But a third version? �� Makes you wonder how many more unused lyric variations they're sat on.
My memory is sketchy af but somebody on the boards at the time pointed out that TMR and PYB (another video game rip) both used “cousin of death/sleep” variants and Yauch responded saying the latter had been updated with the dozen for breakfast line. Must have been actual days before the plans were put on hold. What I can’t say for sure is whether we heard that lyric before plans were scrapped or if the Zdar era was where it first surfaced. Maybe Zane busted out pop your balloon?

Checked back: October 2009 Minton clarified via corro with Yauch that the lyric was updated after they recorded (OG) TMR but the Zdar era may have been its first airing.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 06-12-2023 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:19 PM
beastie_freakfreak

Shout out Bigfatlove and the Beastie Mania crew for helping me figure out the legitimacy of the record. Proper exciting stuff.

I'll leave this open if anyone what's to grab a copy. The recording isn't brilliant, but I din't want to mess with the sound too much.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

After some further digging, the RJ Sterling in the run out leads me to believe is was pressed by Ray Janos.

I've added it to discogs. Hopefully, some more will start to surface.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2693...-Ya-A-Cappella

Old 06-12-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post

Separate set of trax than what we got…

thank you Adam.