Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

and ricky powell...

these omissions seem kinda mean considering what the bboys must signify to them and their lives. these guys prob didnt come away from all of it with the millions adam and mike did - the recognition would mean a lot i'm sure
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|X|Y View Post
and ricky powell...

these omissions seem kinda mean considering what the bboys must signify to them and their lives. these guys prob didnt come away from all of it with the millions adam and mike did - the recognition would mean a lot i'm sure
the boys have proven to be pretty stand-up fellas many times over at this stage. i cant imagine these omissions are being taken unceremoniously by the parties in question. besides, the bboys pretty much made these dudes' careers. courtesy enough, imo.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 PM

I haven't read or seen the book but my understanding of it is that it's more of a fun book with fun stories about the band rather than a serious complete thorough history or detailed personal memoir. I think when the guys write their individual memoirs (whenever that day comes) we'll get more detail and more of an "inside scoop" on the inner workings and inter-relationships with different people in the crew and extended crew.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
the boys have proven to be pretty stand-up fellas many times over at this stage. i cant imagine these omissions are being taken unceremoniously by the parties in question. besides, the bboys pretty much made these dudes' careers. courtesy enough, imo.

yeah they have, but nobody's perfect. making their careers... yes and no. id say bboys also benefited from the talents of those around them, in addition to their own undeniable genius. the group we know today would be a completely different thing if it had just been them, self-produced with no musical input from all the "4th beasties". im not hating on them, just saying maybe the omissions are a little harsh
Old 10-01-2019, 03:07 AM

all of the people that feel like they were left out or didn’t get enough recognition are free to write their own books.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Well they’ve hated Ricky for quite some time now. It’s obvious. I say that with never having heard any firsthand information or gossip and yet i know I’m right.

Adrock always talks about not wanting to be that old guy at the club or the old drunk guy or we got friends who act like dicks. Clearly meant Ricky all those times

But Ricky is pretty corny. Dope pics but corny dude , ironic because he always calls out corny
Old 10-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
all of the people that feel like they were left out or didn’t get enough recognition are free to write their own books.
mean.

EC, same.. I got that same impression for the same reasons.. still got love for the guy tho

Last edited by M|X|Y : 10-01-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:05 AM

it seems like you people are more concerned about the peeps that didn't get mentioned in the book than the actual people themselves. i haven't seen Ricky, Cey, Hurricane or anyone else that was down make any grievances about not getting mentioned in the book.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:06 PM
technically insane

enjoyed this.

no surprise I like Ricky P.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 10-03-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
it seems like you people are more concerned about the peeps that didn't get mentioned in the book than the actual people themselves. i haven't seen Ricky, Cey, Hurricane or anyone else that was down make any grievances about not getting mentioned in the book.
You can't bring up that kind of thing for yourself, other people have to do it for you. To do it yourself can only be a bad look. It's always better to keep these kinds of things to yourself.

The thing I don't understand is Cane said he quit because he felt he wasn't getting paid enough...but...could he really get a better paying gig than that? I could be wrong, but once he left, I doubt he ever made as much as he made touring with the Beasties. I think it's probably more that he was jealous of what the boys were keeping for themselves, rather than him being underpaid. Everything is relative though. He probably felt like they could have afforded to pay him more, and when they wouldn't, he felt disrespected. I can see both sides.....he is like "I'm an important part of the group", but at the same time, they are thinking "yeah but really just the tour dj, not irreplaceable".