Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 04-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Lots of rare items for sale

Something I've noticed while going through all these is that because I got a ton of stuff from other collectors, I see tons of copies that have stickers, condition issues with the sleeves, split seams and stuff. Then you pull out the vinyl and it's pristine. Just an observation.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I do wonder how your reels sound after all these years. I think the quality of the tape mattered a lot. I know guys who have reggae reels from the 70s and they still play (not superbly, but it's fine), meanwhile I know musicians who've pulled their old reels out of their closets and they were basically dust. Then again, they probably bought shitty tape from some drug store to record their garage band while professional producers would buy actual good quality stuff.
That is another good question. I have never looked into trying to do a digital transfer from a reel. I sent off some Laserdiscs for replication because they were really hard to find, and I wanted to have Digital to Digital recordings of whatever was on there (as opposed to grabbing audio from a VHS).
Old 04-24-2019, 04:47 PM

Third post in a row to my own thread is usually a good sign that I need to stop posting. For anyone interested in the items for sale, PB related vinyl is completely listed and I will start CYH items shortly. I'm going to go silent on this thread to keep from bumping it and using the bbs to sell. I'll respond to questions.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:48 AM

Exclamation Re: Lots of rare items for sale

No, please keep posting! This is the best thread on the board right now!! That Paul's Boutique Instrumental tape is fire!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
No, please keep posting! This is the best thread on the board right now!! That Paul's Boutique Instrumental tape is fire!
Ok. Thanks man. The PB Instrumental tape sold to a private collector outside of ebay who prefers to keep the details private. It's in good hands though. They have a VERY impressive collection.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:50 PM

Arrow Re: Lots of rare items for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
Ok. Thanks man. The PB Instrumental tape sold to a private collector outside of ebay who prefers to keep the details private. It's in good hands though. They have a VERY impressive collection.
Sweet! I thought about it, but it was a little too steep for me. Some of these things are getting into the realm of SP1200 money! I'm waiting for when Adrock's 808 comes up for sale
Old 04-26-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Sweet! I thought about it, but it was a little too steep for me. Some of these things are getting into the realm of SP1200 money! I'm waiting for when Adrock's 808 comes up for sale
I'd be shocked if he sold it. I don't know the guy, but in interviews he has talked about it like it was family.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I'd be shocked if he sold it. I don't know the guy, but in interviews he has talked about it like it was family.
it’s sitting on a shelf in his music room. i don’t see him parting ways with it but who knows? the only times i’ve seen musicians sell off their gear is when they go broke or auction it off for charity.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:11 AM

I was just joking about the 808. I hear is tooth i going to be on eBay next week tho.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:19 AM

so the one i bought on canal street was a fake? well that's just great. i had that implanted in my skull like 12 years ago.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:57 PM

The memorabilia is a whole other level for me. I'm compulsive and want to complete things. People like Pootytang are amazing to me because they collect experiences in addition to only physical copies. It's not in my genes. I love the stories of people who just do it.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:53 AM

collect experiences? explain.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
collect experiences? explain.
I have seen them play live maybe 9 times. There are others who have basically followed them on whole tours. I spent a ton of time and money tracking down physical copies. Other's spent a ton of time and money just experiencing things and walking away with a T-shirt and a memory. My way worked for me and I wouldn't change it, but I love the stories from folks who got out and did shit. That's all.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
i wish i still had my yellow waterproof Sony Walkman to bump it in.
Your wish has been granted. email me your address.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:34 AM

I am a natural collector but my compulsion has been limited by lack of space where I’ve lived. My books and records take a larger portion of my living space than they should but there’s still a limit (thankfully i guess). My favorite beastie stuff will always have pride of place. And there will always be evidence of my beastie past in my office even when it doesn’t fit in.

I travelled to my beasties shows before I had a camera phone and I was stubborn about not wanting to travel with a camera, maybe because my dad spent all our holidays behind a camera? I’m not talking about filming during shows, I’m still mostly opposed to that, But now I wish I had some photos of random things that surrounded my trips. Glad I have a good memory. I’m so thankful for beastie fans I met who passed the time w me in lines and helped me out w tickets etc. There’s another band I’ve followed around the US here and there and it’s great but different. Of course I’m even older now so there’s that.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 AM

There really is a difference between those of us who prioritize collecting, and those of us who go out and "Just Do It". It always seemed to me from a collectors standpoint that the best way to deal with the space issue was to find a place for twice as many items as I currently had. I did it a few times, and each time the space filled up. Not recommending it for everyone, but it's what I did.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I have seen them play live maybe 9 times. There are others who have basically followed them on whole tours. I spent a ton of time and money tracking down physical copies. Other's spent a ton of time and money just experiencing things and walking away with a T-shirt and a memory. My way worked for me and I wouldn't change it, but I love the stories from folks who got out and did shit. That's all.
yeah, i was one of those “walking away w/a t-shirt” people. i’ve seen the boys 24 times. i went to 12 of the gala shows with one of my best friends. it was glorious. while i think it’s great that u guys collect everything the band put out and became historians, i have a nice personal beastie collection but nothing like u guys do. the boys inspired me to make beats so i spent my time and resources on buying gear and records to make music. tbh, i get more of a charge working on tunes everyday than sitting in my spare room staring at my rare white labels.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Your wish has been granted. email me your address.
i’ll send u a fax from my car.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Just checking in out of curiosity - did you have any luck selling those Paul's Boutique cassettes? Even though I don't collect tapes, I'd definitely want to go look at them all together in some sort of Beastie museum or something (along with the still-unlocated orange tape).
Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 AM

I sold the instrumentals one and kept the color copies!
Old 04-30-2019, 04:07 PM

Everything (Vinyl) from Paul's Boutique that I have has been listed and I'm putting up things from CYH now. For anyone following along.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Everything (Vinyl) from Paul's Boutique that I have has been listed and I'm putting up things from CYH now. For anyone following along.
CYH and IC are my favorite eras for singles and EPs. B-sides were amazing, cover art was cool, the different versions and remixes of album cuts were dope.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
CYH and IC are my favorite eras for singles and EPs. B-sides were amazing, cover art was cool, the different versions and remixes of album cuts were dope.
No doubt! I vividly remember when Check Your Head came out in 1992. I bought the tape but passed on the Jimmy James cassingle, figuring "why pay $5 for a few tracks when I can buy the album for something like $12?" Shortly after Ill Communication came out I was at a guys house and he had Pass the Mic and So Whatcha Want CD singles. I taped those from him and my mind was kind of blown because there was some dope stuff on those (particularly Skills to Pay the Bills). I started buying all the Ill Communication singles but the Check Your Head singles were impossible to find by then. When eBay came out around 1997 it became MUCH easier to find stuff. I started going back and scooping up the CYH singles and that's when I corrected by mistake, got the Jimmy James single, plus the Gratitude single. I also discovered in my overseas travels that CD singles hung around a LOT longer over there. You could go to HMV and whatnot and they'd have stuff from years ago. The European issues never seemed to be quite as good as the US releases though (I still bought them anyway).
Old 05-03-2019, 02:59 PM

This pretty much mirrors my story. I started recognizing that there was a whole other world out there with unheard tracks around '89. It's been balls out since. My first CYH purchase was the Pass The Mic US CD, and cassette. When we got the actual album at WGHR I played it from beginning to end on air with no regards for FCC regulations. I remember that I was kinda upset that there were so many non hip hop tracks, and not even getting to hear Time For Livin' with the lyrics because we had mono playback in the studio.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 05-03-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
yeah, i was one of those “walking away w/a t-shirt” people. i’ve seen the boys 24 times. i went to 12 of the gala shows with one of my best friends. it was glorious. while i think it’s great that u guys collect everything the band put out and became historians, i have a nice personal beastie collection but nothing like u guys do. the boys inspired me to make beats so i spent my time and resources on buying gear and records to make music. tbh, i get more of a charge working on tunes everyday than sitting in my spare room staring at my rare white labels.
This is what most people did, and went on to do incredibly inspired stuff. Those stories are inspirational to me.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:26 PM

I'm finishing up listing 2nd copies of CYH vinyl for anyone interested. All of the singles are on eBay now. The LP's I have left are...
Ecuador Promo, US original, Europe first press, Korea, Ecuador commercial, US '98 reissue, US 2009 remastered, and 2 copies of the 2009 collector's edition with bonus 7".

I'm meeting a shit ton of new Beastie Boys fans, shout out to Emma in The AU.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Music est. 1986

Did the Check Your Head Era ever produce any 45's?

I could be mistaken but I think that's the only era that doesn't have any.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
Did the Check Your Head Era ever produce any 45's?

I could be mistaken but I think that's the only era that doesn't have any.
I was JUST thinking of this yesterday. As far as I know there have never been any official 7" records from the CYH era.

Ill Communication seems to have been the goldmine of 7" releases. They came out in all kinds of colors, limited editions, bonus tracks, etc. The "For Jukeboxes Only" promo 7"s off that album are great because they comes in so many colors, then there's the Sure Shot burgundy release and Get It Together green release. And they all had such great tracks. The Get It Together jukebox promo is one of my favorite singles for no other reason than that it has Futterman's Rule as the b-side. That's one of my favorite songs or all time, and it's dope to be able to just drop the needle on that track solo and have a listen.

Sorry.... bit of a rant there.....
Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
The Get It Together jukebox promo is one of my favorite singles for no other reason than that it has Futterman's Rule as the b-side. That's one of my favorite songs or all time, and it's dope to be able to just drop the needle on that track solo and have a listen..
Exact same thoughts here! Love Futterman's Rule. Also, love the Root Down / Ricky's theme 45.
Both are two of my favs.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:55 PM
Music est. 1986

I just realised that TT5B also didn't have any 45's