Old 08-13-2020, 04:47 PM
space cake cookie

Default album commentaries..

while working today i listened to all 4 commentaries back to back to back to back. i love these. it's like the book tour or doc but with yauch recalling his memories of said events/stories/records/songs but in his own voice. the commentaries are almost like a sequel to the doc/book since the majority of that content was around the LTI era and before.

i try to listen to these once a year but they resonated much more today and it's so nice hearing all 3 rift off one another. yauch's giggles when talking about mike chucking shit at serch's head is just timeless.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 08-14-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Re: album commentaries..

I listened to these recently as well, plus the AIFST and DVD Anthology commentaries, and it's kind of interesting hearing some inconsistencies compared to the stories Adam and Mike have told more recently. But mostly just getting even more detail and context, and as you mentioned hearing Yauch weigh in.

An example is that Adrock starts to talk about Yauch using a pilot helmet to record A Year and a Day, then MCA tells him he didn't actually do that. He says he bought the helmet but couldn't get the mic working. But then 10+ years later, the pilot helmet story is in the book and movie.

Starting around the time of The Sounds of Science, we actually got quite a lot of info from the boys about their history and process and all that. All directly from the band on their own terms. Pretty cool in retrospect.

The Echo Chamber Hello Nasty retrospective was really cool too, hearing Mario C and MMM give their recollections on that era.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Last edited by balohna : 08-14-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:08 PM

Ultimately (and painfully) you just can’t beat the three of them together. The balance is just perfect.

Agree with all the above. The Anthology booklet arguably details far more behind the inspiration/creative process than the entire book, which is simultaneously great and frustrating (not that I can seriously criticise the latter).

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:41 PM
space cake cookie

i forgot about the AIFST/DVD commentaries.

are these ripped and linked up anywhere? i found the 30 min solid gold hits commentary on youtube but i can't find the others.....?

Old 08-14-2020, 05:09 PM

I busted out my actual DVDs. I forgot Solid Gold Hits had a commentary, I should check that out.

The AIFST commentary is kind of cool because they talk about the message board a little bit. It's mostly just funny hearing them commentate their own performance.

I can look at ripping the DVD stuff, not even sure where to upload without it getting pulled down right away though.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Old 08-14-2020, 05:18 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

they all check out individually at different points but its understandable since they're sitting there listening to their own stuff for an hour or so. but I like the parts where they're like what were we thinking? or remembering a cool song they totally forgot about.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
they all check out individually at different points but its understandable since they're sitting there listening to their own stuff for an hour or so. but I like the parts where they're like what were we thinking? or remembering a cool song they totally forgot about.
A favourite part of mine was during the IC communication when Adrock is like "Wow, this is the third song on this record?" when B-Boys Making with the Freak Freak came on. Then Mike starts trashing it. Then as they listen they both come around to it. MCA is down with it from the start.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balohna View Post
A favourite part of mine was during the IC communication when Adrock is like "Wow, this is the third song on this record?" when B-Boys Making with the Freak Freak came on. Then Mike starts trashing it. Then as they listen they both come around to it. MCA is down with it from the start.
That is also, exactly my favorite part. I haven't listened in forever, but pretty sure MCA states (almost bewilderingly, but also proud) a couple times "This is a bugged out cut."

message board

Old 08-15-2020, 11:28 AM

i love those album commentaries. i lost the videos for them but i still have the audio.

i was unprepared for the AIFST commentary when they started talking about me and my man Seth. they were asking where we were in the film and then we pop on screen at that moment and they give us props. i haven’t listened to it since it came out, i just might put it on tonight.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:32 PM
space cake cookie

the hello nasty commentary is interesting, it seems that at one point they had honestly forgotten about how many filler cuts they put on that record. filler might be the wrong word but one of them said something like....there hasn't been a rap record in a long time. then something else about...this would have been a nice B side, then again when one of the songs ended they had forgotten about all the bleeps, bloops and weird sounds that either came before or after the vocals stopped.

guessing they don't go back and listen front to back so their only reference was the live performances which always cut the skits and bloops and beeps, ya know the weird shit as they said.

i always thought HN was overstuffed, of the special editions the HN extras are just not something i've listened to more than a few times, those extras are just not very good IMO. still love album but man there is a lot of "stuff" going on there.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:23 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
the hello nasty commentary is interesting, it seems that at one point they had honestly forgotten about how many filler cuts they put on that record. filler might be the wrong word but one of them said something like....there hasn't been a rap record in a long time. then something else about...this would have been a nice B side, then again when one of the songs ended they had forgotten about all the bleeps, bloops and weird sounds that either came before or after the vocals stopped.

guessing they don't go back and listen front to back so their only reference was the live performances which always cut the skits and bloops and beeps, ya know the weird shit as they said.

i always thought HN was overstuffed, of the special editions the HN extras are just not something i've listened to more than a few times, those extras are just not very good IMO. still love album but man there is a lot of "stuff" going on there.

i cant remember if Adam H. was one of them that was expressing those thoughts but its funny years later its a chapter in their book as being their best record, according to Adam H. at least. I personally always loved everything about that album.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:24 AM
Up in your Crawlspace

I wish we had gotten one for LTI too. Would have been an interesting commentary.

Keep it on