Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Default Looking for an Official Country Mike LP

I'm looking for a legit (red or black) copy of Country Mike's Greatest Hits. I'd buy it for a very fair market price via PayPal if anyone is willing to part with a copy. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2018, 04:46 AM
Scientist

Default Re: Looking for an Official Country Mike LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I'm looking for a legit (red or black) copy of Country Mike's Greatest Hits. I'd buy it for a very fair market price via PayPal if anyone is willing to part with a copy. Thanks!
For interest: What is the "very fair market price" for my unopened Country Mike's Greatest Hits LP which was a gift from Adam Yauch?

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 06-30-2018, 09:41 AM

That's a great question, and honestly I have no idea. I was just talking to a friend yesterday about how I've never seen a legit, sealed Country Mike for sale. From what I've seen on Ebay, Discogs, and from my own purchasing history, an opened, VG+/NM copy usually goes for between $100-$150 within the US. Obviously some copies go for way more if someone is willing to pay it, but the median price is usually in that $100-$150 range.

A sealed copy on the other hand.... I have no idea. I'm anti-sealed (I opened everything and play it), so I don't follow those markets very closely. Sounds like you've got quite the gem though!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:46 PM

Arrow Re: Looking for an Official Country Mike LP

They've bounced around. I've seen them go in the $400.00s and for around $100.00. I imagine if you're patient you could find one for $100-$150. They aren't as rare as you might think.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
They've bounced around. I've seen them go in the $400.00s and for around $100.00. I imagine if you're patient you could find one for $100-$150. They aren't as rare as you might think.
Oh wow, I had no idea sealed copies we be that "reasonably" priced. I wonder why they're still sealed? If they were given as gifts, it seems odd not to open it. Although I guess Michelle*s_Farm is in that boat. Is there a story there?
Old 07-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Oh wow, I had no idea sealed copies we be that "reasonably" priced. I wonder why they're still sealed? If they were given as gifts, it seems odd not to open it. Although I guess Michelle*s_Farm is in that boat. Is there a story there?
They were supposedly pressed for friends/family/grand royal employees but there were LOTS of copies (probably just leftovers) that ended up on eBay and other places for sale to the public. At one point a guy had a stock of the red ones and was selling them for something like $50 or $75 a piece. (I can't remember which). I have to imaging that people kept them sealed because they knew they were rare. A lot of them were opened only to find out the color of the vinyl.

You have to watch out for bootegs with this record but there are real ones out there. I can't say I've seen them as frequently as I used to, but they come up every once in a while.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:06 PM
technically insane

Quote:
They were supposedly pressed for friends/family/grand royal employees but there were LOTS of copies (probably just leftovers) that ended up on eBay and other places for sale to the public. At one point a guy had a stock of the red ones and was selling them for something like $50 or $75 a piece. (I can't remember which). I have to imaging that people kept them sealed because they knew they were rare. A lot of them were opened only to find out the color of the vinyl.

You have to watch out for bootegs with this record but there are real ones out there. I can't say I've seen them as frequently as I used to, but they come up every once in a while.
wish I was there

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 07-08-2018, 05:02 AM
Scientist

Quote:
Great question. Each time you play an LP the sound quality degrades. I am a bit weird that way (my TT5B is unopened as well as my TMR). Also, I knew it was going to be a real collector's item because it was a limited pressing gift for friends of the band. If I recall correctly, I downloaded the MP3s from Napster (or some other old school file sharing service) at the time so I could at least hear the tracks rather than play them off the LP. My 'plan' was to sell it someday to send my child to university. Unfortunately, the price does not seem to be rising as high as I had hoped. Maybe the best I can hope for someday is buying them a bus ticket to Florida if they graduate with a PhD

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Pass Me The Peas

Quote:

they were even cheaper then that, i was lucky to get one of them, but that must have been more then 10 years ago, if not 15

Old 07-11-2018, 07:29 AM

I checked my old e-mails and the ones I got cheapest were in March of 2007 and sold for $50.00 buy it now on eBay. Seller had multiple copies for sale.