Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Default Mike D- Sandy relief efforts and statement

pretty cool to see Mike helping out firsthand. and no big surprise.
it's also cool to see his new status as food/art dude bringing clout to a huge effort like this...

Quote:
To my friends and family: this maybe unprecedented. I don't think I have EVER emailed any of you directly asking for $ to support something, but what I have seen in Rockaway NY this past week in the aftermath of Sandy is beyond words and warrants immediate concerted efforts. It is much worse then the words or images we have seen in the media. We have a full on Katrina situation in our own back yard. It's now potentially far worse with freezing temperatures, and a potential long term power outage. There is no consistent source of hot food out there for residents or police and sanitation workers who are working so hard in 12hr shifts. At one point while distributing warm meals this week we encountered an entire block of folks who had not eaten in 2 days.

*All businesses except for one supermarket are shut. For now we have just been coordinating food being sent out from NYC restaurants and getting it distributed out there.

*We have coordinated a food truck staffed by NYC restaurants for the next 2 months starting this weekend. So far we have: Sam Talbot from Surf Lodge, the Fat Radish, Spotted Pig/ Breslin, Back 40, L'artusi/ D'ell Anima, Peels/Freeman's, and Zach Lynd. Each restaurant will handle one day a week.

* Everyday there will be a balanced menu served from the truck serving people a steady availability of warm and healthy meals.

*In order to do our part in the clean up and rebuilding of Rockaway, the truck will operate for the next 2 months. We have already secured a site with 24 hr security that will house the truck and a container for supplies as well as the necessary NYPD and on the street distribution connections. All of this enables us to do outreach, getting food to people shut in or stranded in their apartments and homes.

So we have infrastructure and great restaurants involved, but of course as with all things, $ are required to make the program run and get folks fed, that’s where YOU come in.

Our estimated expenses for the 2 month run are rapidly adding up. Please help by donating at the link below. All donations are fully tax deductable. To my friends that are just making it, please give what you can. TO MY PHILANTHROPIC HOMIES, THIS IS THE TIME TO GO BIG.

http://www.wavesforwater.org/fundrai...te-lunch-truck

Thanks

Mike Diamond and Robert Mckinley
and last night there was a Bones Brigade documentary screening in San Francisco to help the NYC Food Truck project that Mike D and his MOCA co-designer Robert McKinley started.

a whole bunch of original Bones Brigade and Beastie Boys memorabilia was auctioned off and Tommy Guerrero DJ'd while Ian C Rogers of Topspin hosted with director Stacy Peralta on skype

http://bonesbrigade.com/sf/

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.