Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Oh man. The Beastie Boys have always been a great inspiration! MCA has been such a positive influence on so many people! This is a good time to express our love and appreciation for the Beastie Boys and really think about Adam's message. The Beastie Boys always know how to have fun and make the world a better place! The attitude of Beastie Boys music is revolutionary. THANKS MCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Adam and Mike, keep doing your thing! Thanks for all the music

bring on dick tracy2!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Hi,
I want to pay my respects to MCA. I have loved the Beastie Boys since they first came out in the mid 80's over here in Ireland. I am the same age as Adam and just cannot believe he is gone. Back in the 80's we had no internet of course and hardly ever saw them on tv. So we heard them played on the radio and bought the records. Their music was (and still is) so uplifting.
This past weekend i have been looking at dozens of videos on youtube, videos we never had the opportunity to watch back then. And mourning the loss of lovely, lovely Adam Yauch. (Gawd, why can't we find a cure for this scourge that is cancer?!!)

Anyway, I found this lovely tribute by a dj here in Ireland, telling about the day he spent with the boys back in 95. Thought you guys might enjoy reading it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/acrossthe...ations_ri.html
Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM

License To Ill was the second album I ever bought. I vividly remember over 20 years ago going to a block party in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn and the usual guido/wiseguy older kids were playing Paul Revere over and over and over and over. I was absolutely mesmerized and couldn't get enough. It took me forever that day to find out who was singing this song and when I did I went home that night and the seed was planted, I needed this shit. The next morning, while my dad was at work and my mom was in the shower I went into her purse and took a 20 dollar bill. My friend and I walked from my house all the way into Bay Ridge on 5th Ave to Record Factory and I bought the tape. We practically ran our entire way home and when we got there and we popped in that cassette it was like our eyes were opened. We spent the entire day listening to the album, I spent my entire life since enjoying every track put out by the Beastie Boys. It was worth the beating I caught from ma dukes when she realized I lifted the 20 from her purse.
My musical tastes always varied as with many but always and forever on my playlist are the Beasties. You all helped provide the soundtrack of my life, you all represent to me the true essence of New York City that draws millions here yearly and keeps millions here living. From the graf covered subways of my youth to the skyline that's been changed since 9/11 you all covered it with a realness, innovation and love that cannot be matched.
No celebrity death has ever cast the dark cloud of sadness over me like MCA's. While I didn't know the man personally he has in some way been a part of my life. I felt true loss when I heard the news and felt as if a piece of my youth and my life was snatched away from me way to early.
Much love to Adam 'MCA' Yauch and his family and crew, much love to the Beastie Boys for making my life and millions of others a little bit better and much love to the City that enabled them to give us this gift. RIP son, while your body may have passed to the other side your legacy is eternal.

Last edited by BrooklynNico : 05-09-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM

Last week I was on short holiday in the country, without the Internet, tv etc. My mom called me on Saturday and told me. It was all over the news in Poland. I was shocked, really. Still can't belive it.
Maybe I was naive but it never crossed my mind he could die of this cancer. Never.

My strongest feelings are still of total shock and disbelief. Then it's sadness and disbelief again.

The most depressing is seeing the picture on MSG billboard and watching the R&R Hall of fame induction ceremony knowing now he's no longer...it's even difficut to write about it.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Basic As Fuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midzi View Post
Maybe I was naive but it never crossed my mind he could die of this cancer. Never.
yeah true
maybe he got a second hidden one, who knows or he was just too wonderful for this world

-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gus
The friendship ended when I wiped my arse on his pillow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres Zount
I don't really love you! Lyman zerga is on my ignore list, but you don't deserve it, you swine!
-------------------------------------

Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM

It has been almost exactly a year since I have logged in here, but WAY longer since I have written anything. This is what I wrote on my tumblr right after I found out:
"I can honestly say that I love MCA more than most members of my family and one of my favorite memories forever will be the summer I bought To The Five Boroughs and made EVERYONE I know listen to it on repeat in my car for the entire summer. Didn’t come out of the cd player for months. The Beastie Boys are my favorite band and they changed my musical life, as well as my life in general. And MCA was my favorite part of that. So this seriously sucks a big one."

But what is weird is that I just moved to South Korea. So everyone who knows me is across the world. And because of that I had been craving familiar things lately. I had been upping the amount of Beasties. I even thought to myself, MAYBE 2-3 days before Yauch passed, "Man, if MCA dies, I am going to lose my shit." And I did.

But what is kind of nice, is I found out because people in the US had posted on my fb (middle of the night for me) stuff like: Sorry about MCA, I know how much you loved the Beastie Boys. Like I knew him. Ha.

Anyway, RIP MCA

It's a harpsicord Kevin, Please say you love it!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 PM

I have just now considered myself ready to check out the boards. Been enjoying the tributes. You gotta love the love everyone is displaying. For me, I feel like Yauch & the Beasites either taught or led to me to everything that was worth knowing in the world. Nonviolence, respect for all peoples, the interconnectedness of life, and other timeless principles. I feel so fortunate that I had the pleasure of learning such important lessons through the band I loved since I was 7 years old (when License to Ill came out in 1986). It always seemed like I was entering the age when I was ready to understand such lessons as their new albums came out (specifically with regard to Check Your Head, Ill Communication, and Hello Nasty as I was 13, 15, and 19 respectively). As they matured, so did I. They have been as important in setting me on my life's path as anyone I know (immediate family excluded).

"There's nothing here that's not been said before, But I put it down now so I'll be sure, To solidify my own views and I'll be glad if it helps anyone else out too."

It has. Thank you Adam. Namaste.

Ryan
Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM

Location: SF by way of NYC -- moving back to NYC soon. Yaay!! :)
Default Intergalactic Brass Monkey - International Event Saturday

Hey Everyone,

Some of us got together and are quickly working our asses off arranging a simultaneous international event for this Saturday called "Intergalactic Brass Monkey Pour For Our Homie" in honor and commemorance of MCA. Yes, no kidding, the event name is that long. Please check out or FB page "Intergalactic Brass Monkey", join the page, sign yourself up for the event and then send invites to all your friends on FB (you may be surprised how many of your friends are BB fans but the subject never came up). We also set up a Twitter account - @Galactic_Monkey you can follow on there and help spread the word to others who'd be interested in the event. Basically post about this everywhere in all languages you know. We don't have much time left to invite the entire galaxy -- We need you!!

Oh, yeah, the page is also a place where anyone can post anything BB and MCA related. One subject of interest is to hear people's best BB stories. Also, there's some debate about which Brass Monkey "recipe" was the one of their choosing. Love to get an answer to that... Finally, we're hoping people record their memorial parties and share them with us to post next week so we can all see each other's faces.

That's all for now, but don't be surprised when I repost about this so that people reading at different times of day have a chance to find out about the event. Feel free to ask me anything you can't find on the page or anything at all...

Peace & Love

Intergalactic Brass Monkey

To answer your question, "JC" are my initials, they have not told me of a religious affiliation...

Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

there is always something to discover with Adam Yauch and the Beastie boys. I will never stop my borderline obsessive crave for new information about this legendary band.

my next endeavor is to truly dive in to the early hard core stuff. of course I heard Aglio, Pollywog, and Some Old Bullshit etc, but I never truly analyzed every lyric, story, and bassline.

I can't wait to dive in.

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Bononista

My nephew was 12 years old when he purchased and listened to Licensed to Ill and to Paul's Boutique when each came out (first kid in line at the store). He didn't understand sampling and refused to believe that the tracks had work in them from other artists. I had to sit him down with Paul's Boutique and for each track, play him the song from which the samples originated. He was blown away.

Paul's Boutique was very special to me. Up until it I had been mostly into Beatles, U2, and had just discovered The Dead Kennedy's, The Clash, and The Sex Pistols. As more Beastie's LPs came out I nabbed them and enjoyed them along side of Jane's Addiction, and assorted other bands. I feel remorseful that I didn't take advantage of seeing Lollapalooza's 2 through 5 (I only made it to Lolla 1). But all the bands from 1991 to 1995 from those tours are still bands I listen to today.

MCA's "bohisattva vow" track I found to be amazing - it turned me onto exploring theology and comparative religion. One thing is for certain: MCA must have achieved enlightenment. I had lit a candle intended to burn for three days in hopes that it would light his way,.... apparently he must have made it to where he is going sooner because it went out in one. As a poet, a prophet, and a Buddha, and as a chosen child of God, I feel confident that not only will he always be in our hearts but he will return to this world and make it a better place.

I'm selfish. I wanted him here longer. My deepest empathy to Adam, Mike, and all the family and friends whose lives Yauch has touched.

Revisiting live video - the joy at the shows just can't be measured. I don't know if any band can make me feel the way Beastie Boys did live. Pure Joy.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 PM

Today was hard.

Today was the first time in my life that I listen to the beastie boys and got angry

Today was a bad day at work

Today was the day I was quite all day

Today I missed Adam Yauch more

RIP Adam

....damn
Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
Today was hard.

Today was the first time in my life that I listen to the beastie boys and got angry

RIP Adam

....damn
me too. i got angry about it all today.

ANGER
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
You hear that fkn brass?

I still haven't listened to their music, don't think hearing Yauchs voice would be okay. Too hard to accept, hearing it won't help yet.

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 AM

Adam Yauch

and 'dead' do not go together

stupid headlines....fricking cancer.

i HATE cancer

Viva les Beastie!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Cheech Wizard

I just realized I'll never be able to take my sons (10 & 7) to a Beasties concert. DAMN. That's something I had always envisioned us doing together. F CANCER. RIP MCA.

Cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
my next endeavor is to truly dive in to the early hard core stuff. of course I heard Aglio, Pollywog, and Some Old Bullshit etc, but I never truly analyzed every lyric, story, and bassline.
Not really early but I found the lyrics to Mullet Head the other day and listened/read along; that track is hilarious.

"MCA, where have you been?"

In our hearts, and he always will be.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

I'm actually finding myself still getting lost in the Beastie Boys' music. I don't think about his death or get sad at all when I just sit back and listen to their music or watch their videos. I get happy. Like I always do.

We Love You MCA!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Guevera View Post
I'm actually finding myself still getting lost in the Beastie Boys' music. I don't think about his death or get sad at all when I just sit back and listen to their music or watch their videos. I get happy. Like I always do.
Me too! Its not just a cliche...he will live on forever.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
Me too! Its not just a cliche...he will live on forever.

We Love You MCA!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM
You hear that fkn brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randetica View Post
yeah true
maybe he got a second hidden one, who knows or he was just too wonderful for this world
Him being to wonderful for this world is soooo beyond true.
He just didn't deserve to have the life he created taken from him.

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Adrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
there is always something to discover with Adam Yauch and the Beastie boys. I will never stop my borderline obsessive crave for new information about this legendary band.

I can't wait to dive in.
Iv been listening to some of the Yauch solo songs an my goodness he was a smart man. I always just rapped them but when I actualy listened to the words he says some crazy awsome shit.

Back On The Mic Its The Anti-Depressor

www.youtube.com/lauriehammy

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Ouch

Quote:
Me too, I have been getting a few more chills down my back during an MCA verse lately though. Thats one thing I love about them, no matter how long I listen I still get that excited to where it makes me get goosebumps because of how talented they are.

A Big Mac attack on your gut
and thats wack my friend!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
zonin talkin on the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_hammy View Post
Iv been listening to some of the Yauch solo songs an my goodness he was a smart man. I always just rapped them but when I actualy listened to the words he says some crazy awsome shit.

haha yea

Sending Love From Austin Texas , Forever in my thoughts! Space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
totally dude. it was my pleasure. today was so amazing for me, and i love my bbmb fam.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM

It keeps popping up, and it's so true: Adam Yauch was one of those special people you could learn something from and be influenced by. You wouldn't think so, since he was a celebrity, and celebrities typically aren't like that, but it's a fact. The world could use more people like him.

Adrock was the heart, Mike D was the brains and MCA was the soul of the Beastie Boys.

We Love You MCA!

Last edited by M.C. Guevera : 05-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Quote:

Adrock was the heart, Mike D was the brains and MCA was the soul of the Beastie Boys.
I love this

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Music est. 1986

I was just watching some old videos. I still can't believe he's gone.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Proud to be a Weiner!

Can't believe it's a whole week since he passed and I still cut up. I don't usually post much on these boards but I always check in regularly to catch up with what you other users are thinking and saying. This week it has certainly helped.

There has been no other place to find solace than here, where it feels like everyone is going through this together. I don't think anyone I know gets the grief I'm feeling.
I've spent all my adult life listening to the Beastie Boys, looking out for news of the next release or a possible tour, and to know it's not going to happen has been difficult to deal with.
I haven't been able to play the CDs that have been sat in my car since I bought it five years ago, the Beastie Boys music always cheered me up on my journey to work, and this week has been so weird in that I haven't wanted to hear them.

I can't even begin to imagine what his friends and family are going through, my deepest sympathies to them.
I'll never forget Yauch and the impact he's had on me will stay with me forever.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the great music - I was in NYC visiting when I got a text from my brother, whose Licensed To Ill tape got me listening to the boys in 1989 ish and I haven't stopped since then. It's such a loss especially for his family. The Beastie Boys will always be legends and Adam Yauch will be heard forever.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Hi peeps, I hope you won't mind me joining just to post here. I've actually lurked on the Beastie boards on and off since 2000, fan since about '94. My interest in the Beasties has waxed and waned over the years and the news took me a bit by surprise, but I have found it so incredibly sad, and a week on I am still getting tearful. I'm 34 and have never reacted like this to the passing of a musician before, I'm quite overwhelmed by my sadness and I just wanted to hang out here with other people who get it.

I think the Beasties inspire loyalty for so many reasons; their great music, incredibly entertaining personalities and performances, and their extremely cool attitudes being some. As everyone is noting, MCA was a great artist but the way he pulled off his public social conscience while maintaining a sense of humour and a lack of pomposity has never been replicated by anyone else ever. Plus the dynamic between the three of them was always so joyful, and the loss of one member of the indestructible three-piece is too heartbreaking to bear.

Anyway sorry again for leaping in for the first time at this sad time, but this is the only place I can think of to join with others feeling the same way. Love to you all, RIP MCA x
Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swooziemoonshoe View Post
Hi peeps, I hope you won't mind me joining just to post here. I've actually lurked on the Beastie boards on and off since 2000, fan since about '94. My interest in the Beasties has waxed and waned over the years and the news took me a bit by surprise, but I have found it so incredibly sad, and a week on I am still getting tearful. I'm 34 and have never reacted like this to the passing of a musician before, I'm quite overwhelmed by my sadness and I just wanted to hang out here with other people who get it.

I think the Beasties inspire loyalty for so many reasons; their great music, incredibly entertaining personalities and performances, and their extremely cool attitudes being some. As everyone is noting, MCA was a great artist but the way he pulled off his public social conscience while maintaining a sense of humour and a lack of pomposity has never been replicated by anyone else ever. Plus the dynamic between the three of them was always so joyful, and the loss of one member of the indestructible three-piece is too heartbreaking to bear.

Anyway sorry again for leaping in for the first time at this sad time, but this is the only place I can think of to join with others feeling the same way. Love to you all, RIP MCA x
great post. welcome to the boards, don't second guess your instincts on posting here we all share your thoughts this is what makes me feel better seeing new faces but old time fans sharing their love for yauch. it will always be appreciated.

BeastieBoys.com