Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Registered Lurker

Default Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhdpKMsfIA
Old 09-22-2019, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

Nice!

message board

Old 09-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Thumbs up Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
Nice!
That was dope.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Up in your Crawlspace

Awesome, thanks!

Wish we knew why he was not included in the book at all. Was a glaring omission, along with Mario C.

Keep it on

Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 AM

Nice to know he is still in contact with Adrock.
Always had a feeling him and Mike D are not the best of friends even when they toured together

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 09-25-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
Always had a feeling him and Mike D are not the best of friends even when they toured together

thank you Adam.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
What makes you feel this?
Old 09-27-2019, 04:22 AM

Ive always thought it since 1992 watching interviews, Hurricanes reaction in the Horseplay DVD about money and that Hurricanes always says in interviews since 1998 that he keeps in contact with Adrock but never mentions Mike D.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:54 AM

i think y'all are grasping for straws. a twenty year old dvd isn't going to tell you anything about their past or present day relationship.

when you little scamps get together, you're worse than a sewing circle.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Arrow Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

Quote:
Ive always thought it since 1992 watching interviews, Hurricanes reaction in the Horseplay DVD about money and that Hurricanes always says in interviews since 1998 that he keeps in contact with Adrock but never mentions Mike D.
Watch this
https://youtu.be/16ibHn3koNE?t=341
Old 09-29-2019, 08:45 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
what i come away with from that is that adam is hurricane's favorite but he pronounces his last name as horowitz after all those years together
Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 PM

and ricky powell...

these omissions seem kinda mean considering what the bboys must signify to them and their lives. these guys prob didnt come away from all of it with the millions adam and mike did - the recognition would mean a lot i'm sure
Old 09-30-2019, 06:55 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|X|Y View Post
and ricky powell...

these omissions seem kinda mean considering what the bboys must signify to them and their lives. these guys prob didnt come away from all of it with the millions adam and mike did - the recognition would mean a lot i'm sure
the boys have proven to be pretty stand-up fellas many times over at this stage. i cant imagine these omissions are being taken unceremoniously by the parties in question. besides, the bboys pretty much made these dudes' careers. courtesy enough, imo.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 PM

I haven't read or seen the book but my understanding of it is that it's more of a fun book with fun stories about the band rather than a serious complete thorough history or detailed personal memoir. I think when the guys write their individual memoirs (whenever that day comes) we'll get more detail and more of an "inside scoop" on the inner workings and inter-relationships with different people in the crew and extended crew.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
the boys have proven to be pretty stand-up fellas many times over at this stage. i cant imagine these omissions are being taken unceremoniously by the parties in question. besides, the bboys pretty much made these dudes' careers. courtesy enough, imo.

yeah they have, but nobody's perfect. making their careers... yes and no. id say bboys also benefited from the talents of those around them, in addition to their own undeniable genius. the group we know today would be a completely different thing if it had just been them, self-produced with no musical input from all the "4th beasties". im not hating on them, just saying maybe the omissions are a little harsh
Old 10-01-2019, 03:07 AM

all of the people that feel like they were left out or didn’t get enough recognition are free to write their own books.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Well they’ve hated Ricky for quite some time now. It’s obvious. I say that with never having heard any firsthand information or gossip and yet i know I’m right.

Adrock always talks about not wanting to be that old guy at the club or the old drunk guy or we got friends who act like dicks. Clearly meant Ricky all those times

But Ricky is pretty corny. Dope pics but corny dude , ironic because he always calls out corny
Old 10-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
all of the people that feel like they were left out or didn’t get enough recognition are free to write their own books.
mean.

EC, same.. I got that same impression for the same reasons.. still got love for the guy tho

Last edited by M|X|Y : 10-01-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:05 AM

it seems like you people are more concerned about the peeps that didn't get mentioned in the book than the actual people themselves. i haven't seen Ricky, Cey, Hurricane or anyone else that was down make any grievances about not getting mentioned in the book.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:06 PM
technically insane

enjoyed this.

no surprise I like Ricky P.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 10-03-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
it seems like you people are more concerned about the peeps that didn't get mentioned in the book than the actual people themselves. i haven't seen Ricky, Cey, Hurricane or anyone else that was down make any grievances about not getting mentioned in the book.
You can't bring up that kind of thing for yourself, other people have to do it for you. To do it yourself can only be a bad look. It's always better to keep these kinds of things to yourself.

The thing I don't understand is Cane said he quit because he felt he wasn't getting paid enough...but...could he really get a better paying gig than that? I could be wrong, but once he left, I doubt he ever made as much as he made touring with the Beasties. I think it's probably more that he was jealous of what the boys were keeping for themselves, rather than him being underpaid. Everything is relative though. He probably felt like they could have afforded to pay him more, and when they wouldn't, he felt disrespected. I can see both sides.....he is like "I'm an important part of the group", but at the same time, they are thinking "yeah but really just the tour dj, not irreplaceable".
Old 10-03-2019, 04:41 AM

my point is, if they don’t care then why do you? it’s really none of our business. the only bad look i see here is a bunch of fans gossiping and speculating on shit that doesn’t pertain to them. Cey wasn’t mentioned in the book at all and he was Adam’s childhood friend. he still went to a bunch of the shows on the book tour. he looked extremely happy to be there. there has to be better stuff for us fans to talk about instead of worrying about who did and didn’t get mentioned in their book and jump to conclusions. we don't know how much Adam and Mike wrote that didn't make into the book. we don't know what the editors thought they should cut out to make room for funnier stories. i'm sure they had to cap it off at some point. who know? who cares? the book was great.

as for Hurra. dude had a family and kids to support. i doubt touring every couple of years was enough to support them on a tour dj salary. he had to do for himself. business not personal, no hard feelings.

and i'm just stating my opinion here for the record. i'm not trying to tell you guys what to talk about. it's just weird for me as a grown man to be gossiping about other grown mens personal business. i choose to celebrate the band and all those that were involved instead of getting into the weeds on shit i don't know or want to know about.

Last edited by Micodin : 10-03-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:58 AM

Arrow Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

I'm glad they didn't get too far into drama in the book, that left more time for crazy stories and talk about music that influenced them, gear they used, etc. Regardless of what was put in or left out, as a whole, I felt like it personified the what the band was about. Very dope, not too serious and very little drama. Personally, I could read a whole book that only dealt with the technical aspects of how they made the music and came up with ideas.

As for Hurra, he obviously still has a lot of love and respect for the band and his contributions, otherwise I imagine he'd ignore that chapter of his life.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Personally, I could read a whole book that only dealt with the technical aspects of how they made the music and came up with ideas.
same. and a thorough documentary to match.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Personally, I could read a whole book that only dealt with the technical aspects of how they made the music and came up with ideas.
On that point, I loved Adrock's chapter about how they put so much work into "fake" samples on HSCP2 and no one seemed to care. I like the album a lot, but it honestly wasn't until years after its release that I learned about the made-up samples thing. Even though I guess I should like an album just for the music, knowing that fact made it so much cooler to me. I guess when TT5B and Mix Up came out I kind of thought "ok, so they're all grown up, maybe just enjoying normal life and don't being super creative anymore - that's fine." Then when I heard how they made HSCP2 it blew my mind. I could definitely read a short book on the making of that album (and I'd pay a pretty penny for an album of the "fake songs" they wrote and took samples from).
Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
my point is, if they don’t care then why do you? it’s really none of our business. the only bad look i see here is a bunch of fans gossiping and speculating on shit that doesn’t pertain to them. Cey wasn’t mentioned in the book at all and he was Adam’s childhood friend. he still went to a bunch of the shows on the book tour. he looked extremely happy to be there. there has to be better stuff for us fans to talk about instead of worrying about who did and didn’t get mentioned in their book and jump to conclusions. we don't know how much Adam and Mike wrote that didn't make into the book. we don't know what the editors thought they should cut out to make room for funnier stories. i'm sure they had to cap it off at some point. who know? who cares? the book was great.

as for Hurra. dude had a family and kids to support. i doubt touring every couple of years was enough to support them on a tour dj salary. he had to do for himself. business not personal, no hard feelings.

and i'm just stating my opinion here for the record. i'm not trying to tell you guys what to talk about. it's just weird for me as a grown man to be gossiping about other grown mens personal business. i choose to celebrate the band and all those that were involved instead of getting into the weeds on shit i don't know or want to know about.
Well I'm pretty sure I don't really care about who was in the book or not because I haven't even seen a copy of it yet. I'm sure I will at some point but I just haven't gotten around to it. But that Cane interview was just interesting to me cause this is the first time I saw it, and what I had heard before was that they basically got MMM to do scratches on the recordings, and then be their tour dj, cause they were wanting some next level shit. And kind of just let Cane go, like, "thanks for everything but we decided to make a change and go with this other guy." But the way he tells it he made the decision himself to leave because he felt like he wasn't paid enough. That was something I'd never heard before. Two different stories. And yeah maybe the touring wasn't consistent work, but I would think he must have been raking it in when they were on tour. That's a job I would never give up personally.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
You can't bring up that kind of thing for yourself, other people have to do it for you. To do it yourself can only be a bad look. It's always better to keep these kinds of things to yourself.

The thing I don't understand is Cane said he quit because he felt he wasn't getting paid enough...but...could he really get a better paying gig than that? I could be wrong, but once he left, I doubt he ever made as much as he made touring with the Beasties. I think it's probably more that he was jealous of what the boys were keeping for themselves, rather than him being underpaid. Everything is relative though. He probably felt like they could have afforded to pay him more, and when they wouldn't, he felt disrespected. I can see both sides.....he is like "I'm an important part of the group", but at the same time, they are thinking "yeah but really just the tour dj, not irreplaceable".
Well said

Old 10-04-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure I don't really care about who was in the book or not because I haven't even seen a copy of it yet. I'm sure I will at some point but I just haven't gotten around to it. But that Cane interview was just interesting to me cause this is the first time I saw it, and what I had heard before was that they basically got MMM to do scratches on the recordings, and then be their tour dj, cause they were wanting some next level shit. And kind of just let Cane go, like, "thanks for everything but we decided to make a change and go with this other guy." But the way he tells it he made the decision himself to leave because he felt like he wasn't paid enough. That was something I'd never heard before. Two different stories. And yeah maybe the touring wasn't consistent work, but I would think he must have been raking it in when they were on tour. That's a job I would never give up personally.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure I don't really care about who was in the book or not because I haven't even seen a copy of it yet.
oh, that explains a lot. you must be a big fan of the band.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly.

It's not gossip that certain people were excluded, it's right there (or rather not) in text! Just saying, dudes deserve to be recognized - don't know what's so hard to understand about that