Old 02-20-2023, 08:54 PM

Default The Nerdy Shit in '92

Encouraged to air my inner dork-thoughts in public, I present: the things that keep me up at night (or at least keep me on the toilet longer than I should).

1.) Root Down on Blue Vinyl.
The original Root Down EP (on vinyl) came in a blue and a black version, but as far as I can tell there was no indication which one you were going to get when you bought them. Was this just a surprise promo thing, or did they issue it first in blue and then - due to demand - crank out a bunch of black ones? Also, sub-comment: I compared the original blue version to the reissued blue version and the latter is definitely darker, possibly because it's thicker.

2.) Rock Hard: What's the Problem?
So I know that Rock Hard got kind of suppressed because of the uncleared AC/DC sample, but what I never understood was why? I mean, I get why now, but this was 1984. Licensed to Ill and the notorious Paul's Boutique were all allowed to go to press with shit loads of samples, so why did Rock Hard get such harsh treatment prior to the courts coming down on sampling? I know they mentioned it in Beastie Boys Book, but I feel like that didn't make things any clearer.

3.) Where Have All the B-Sides Gone?
I mean real official B-sides, not remixes. We all know that LTI had none, and even if there was a DAT containing any, Russel probably lost it underneath a leather bad boy where it got crushed years ago. But PB, CYH, IL, and HN had some that came out on singles and EPs, like B-sides are supposed to (shoutout the the Sure Shot EP for having both Mullet Head and The Vibes on the same disc. Sensational). But then the B-side kind of vanished. TT5B had some, but as far as I know they only came out on some Japanese/Australian CD releases. The Mix Up actually had a bunch, but again, only a couple came out on a Japanese CD, and even then I know there were more B-sides that were online-only. Neither the Suco de Tangerina 7” nor the 12” Mix Up Sampler had anything. HSCP2 obviously came with a bonus 7” so that was nice, and I understand that they weren’t focused on satisfying my niche B-sides desired with all that was going on at the time, but still, none of the promotional material had anything either. I guess I don’t really have a question, and now it sounds like I’m complaining, which wasn’t what I was shooting for… so I guess this is more of a coffee table book comment?

Also I’d like to repeat my incessant request to Mike and Adam: please do a vinyl reissue of all the stuff that was never available on wax. If I can’t terrorize my neighbors by blasting Brr Stick Em on vinyl all day, then why do I even bother living in a city?

4.) Who Is the “Yesterday at McDonald’s” Band?
You know the deal. The end of Pass the Mic on certain Pass the Mic singles, there’s that 8 second punk track “Yesterday, at McDonald’s I had…” Is that a band anyone would know? It is Beastie Boys? Is it one of Adrock’s earlier bands?

5.) What Do I Own?
This is the most selfish of all my questions. I acquired a couple rare nuggets from one of the absolute Beastie-fan legends (who frequents this message board) some time ago, but I don’t actually know much about them – just as much as is available on Beastiemania. It’s a long shot I know (since Beastiemania already has a encyclopedic amount of information), but does anyone know anything about:

The Country Mike Acetate: https://www.beastiemania.com/discog/...ountrymike#453 It was sourced by “Sir Dan,” whom I can’t track down, so I have no idea how it came into his possession. Also it was allegedly made to “check the EQ balance.” But it’s just Country Delight three times. How does that do anything?

The Purple Fight For Your Right 7”: https://www.beastiemania.com/discog/...hp?g=ffyr#1844 This one drove/has been driving me crazy. It’s a Canadian release, and I took a magnifying glass to the run-out letters to see if it was different from the standard black version and it is. I cataloged the differences in the notes section of their respective Discogs pages (Purple: https://www.discogs.com/release/9712...Right-To-Party) (Black: https://www.discogs.com/release/3673...Right-To-Party) As far as I know there’s only one, but maybe there are more? Basically, what the fuck is the deal with this thing?

Alright that’s enough for now. This probably should have been multiple threads but hey, I’m heading over to the submit button. Hope this kept you on the toilet a little longer than necessary too.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:58 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: The Nerdy Shit in '92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post

1.) Root Down on Blue Vinyl.
The original Root Down EP (on vinyl) came in a blue and a black version, but as far as I can tell there was no indication which one you were going to get when you bought them. Was this just a surprise promo thing, or did they issue it first in blue and then - due to demand - crank out a bunch of black ones?
I could be wrong, but I remember reading that the Blue Vinyl was a Grand Royal Catalogue exclusive. But before my time to confirm.

Quote:
2.) Rock Hard: What's the Problem?
So I know that Rock Hard got kind of suppressed because of the uncleared AC/DC sample, but what I never understood was why? I mean, I get why now, but this was 1984. Licensed to Ill and the notorious Paul's Boutique were all allowed to go to press with shit loads of samples, so why did Rock Hard get such harsh treatment prior to the courts coming down on sampling? I know they mentioned it in Beastie Boys Book, but I feel like that didn't make things any clearer.
To copy a response from Quora that sums it up pretty nicely:
4 things would happen before

an artist would:

1. they use it without permission (a copyright infringement) and hope they will not be noticed or that the original artist will not care enough to sue (Most likely what BDP did with "Dope Beat")
2. they get permission from the original artist - What Beasties tried to do
3. they record (or get someone to record) a sample that sound sort of the same but isn’t. - What Sugarhill Gang did with Rapper's Delight, it's called "interpolation"
4. they use it without permission and then use they lawyers to bully the original artist into accepting it

Quote:
3.) Where Have All the B-Sides Gone?
I mean real official B-sides, not remixes. We all know that LTI had none, and even if there was a DAT containing any, Russel probably lost it underneath a leather bad boy where it got crushed years ago.
LTI had some but not any official released ones.

After learning about LTI, it's seems that the recording process was a bit different than their later albums.
"Slow and Low" came out in 1985
LTI was released in Nov of '86 while "Hold It Now, Hit It", "Paul Revere" seemed to be released as stand alone singles way earlier, not as album promotional ones like they would do for future albums. Could be wrong, again it was before my time.
I wonder when they recorded those earlier singles if the plan was for them to be included in LTI.

As an avid collector, the bigger question I have, is why they didn't release any 45's during the CYH era? Every other era, including The Mix Up has 45's

Quote:
But PB, CYH, IL, and HN had some that came out on singles and EPs, like B-sides are supposed to (shoutout the the Sure Shot EP for having both Mullet Head and The Vibes on the same disc. Sensational). But then the B-side kind of vanished.
Every album besides HSCII had b-sides. PB was mostly remixes, the golden era was CYH-IC. Hello Nasty has some on their singles. TT5B had "And then I" on Ch-Check It Out, and the others were on imports. Mix Up did have any on vinyl but this could be because of the limited hype and promo that went into the album and the sign of digital times. B-sides were always thrown in on Japanese pressings to give more value for the extra cost that those discs cost.
But I get what you mean, it was not as great as CYH and IC

Quote:
4.) Who Is the “Yesterday at McDonald’s” Band?
You know the deal. The end of Pass the Mic on certain Pass the Mic singles, there’s that 8 second punk track “Yesterday, at McDonald’s I had…” Is that a band anyone would know? It is Beastie Boys? Is it one of Adrock’s earlier bands?
I always thought this was Young and the Useless, according to discdogs it's a cover of Weinerschnitzel" by the Descendents. But not sure exactly who covered it.

Quote:
The Purple Fight For Your Right 7”: https://www.beastiemania.com/discog/...hp?g=ffyr#1844 This one drove/has been driving me crazy. It’s a Canadian release, and I took a magnifying glass to the run-out letters to see if it was different from the standard black version and it is. I cataloged the differences in the notes section of their respective Discogs pages (Purple: https://www.discogs.com/release/9712...Right-To-Party) (Black: https://www.discogs.com/release/3673...Right-To-Party) As far as I know there’s only one, but maybe there are more? Basically, what the fuck is the deal with this thing?
I don't know but, it's on my hunt list now.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:11 PM

THIS is why I still check this forum!
Old 02-23-2023, 02:36 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan2276 View Post
THIS is why I still check this forum!
yea this is a cool thread. i don't do facebook or reddit so i appreciate the old timers that still visit here. not sure why they closed it for new members. i do wish they juiced the servers to get speeds back to normal. who do you complain to about this? isn't there a site admin or something...

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 03-01-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
As an avid collector, the bigger question I have, is why they didn't release any 45's during the CYH era? Every other era, including The Mix Up has 45's
I've often wondered the same thing. I wonder if they just had some much extra content that they decided to just put them all on 12" singles. Frozen Metal Head/So What'cha Want, Pass the Mic, Jimmy James, hell even Gratitude... they're all full of bonus tracks. But then again, having extra content didn't stop them from releasing 45s in the Ill Communication era so who knows.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the experts to flood this thread and answer all my burning questions, but the discussion on 45s got me thinking of another one, which I guess is more of a record business question. How much control do you think the group had on all these releases? As any collector knows, there's a dizzying number of singles, EPs, and distinct versions of stuff out there, but I always wondered if the Beastie Boys knew much about what was going on. Like I get the sense that Adrock couldn't name more than two EPs or maxi singles (as evidence, I point to the Ill Communication album commentary when Futterman's Rule comes on and he says "Futterman's Rule is on the album?")