Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Mike D is a legend.

Default Re: MCA Tributes

Yauch's high school English teacher remembers him:

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2012/...uch-a-k-a-mca/

The full piece:

http://my.hsj.org/schools/newspaper/...am_yauch_.aspx

Ugh, there I go welling up again:

"Often Adam and I would ride the subway together, as we lived on the same Brooklyn street. On those rides home from school, he spoke about his band and the gigs they were starting to get. One day he excitedly told me that his band would soon be getting a record contract."

...one might say that the Beastie Boy "Fight for Your Right to Party" guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.
-Adam Horovitz

Last edited by birdfloatindown : 05-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Mike D is a legend.

The band Travis Porter pays tribute to MCA, by naming their tour "No Sleep Till Atlanta."

And Biz Markie's statement on Yauch:

"He was in a class by himself. All three of them was in a class by themselves. They were different, but he was a cool one and he was just different. He was from a different cloth, he had a different aura about him. He was just super cool."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168...nta-tour.jhtml

...one might say that the Beastie Boy "Fight for Your Right to Party" guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.
-Adam Horovitz

Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdfloatindown View Post
this is what got me:

Quote:
Adam Yauch was a regular kid, who sometimes needed to be pushed to do his homework—but not always, and sometimes came late---but not often, and who ultimately worked and learned some stuff about reading and writing in my class. He liked his fellow students, he enjoyed a good laugh, and he had depth and humanity, even then. When we discussed biographies for book reports, Adam read and wrote about Tony Hawk, the superstar skateboarder. Thirty years later I still remember it for its unbridled admiration of Hawk’s talents, and for his respect for Hawk’s philanthropy and good character. It never surprised me that Adam himself became a man of prodigious talent and who was concerned with people and philanthropy.
but the Tony Hawk timeline doesn't quite add up. Hawk was born 4 years after Yauch, and went pro when he was 14 in 1982.

http://skateboard.about.com/od/prosk...roTonyHawk.htm
Began Skating: 1977
First Sponsored: 1980
Turned Pro: 1982

edit: I guess that could have been Adam's senior year, but was Hawk doing charity work at such a young age? I myself was obsessed with Hawk in 1989, and you could say that I was a similar kid who always needed to be encouraged to reach my potential.

what a great perspective from a teacher's angle

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Last edited by YoungRemy : 05-10-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Even though he was a buddhist it doesn't stop the Christians from praising and recognizing him...

http://www.christandpopculture.com/a...e-beastie-boys

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
zonin talkin on the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
this is what got me:
but the Tony Hawk timeline doesn't quite add up. Hawk was born 4 years after Yauch, and went pro when he was 14 in 1982.
what a great perspective from a teacher's angle
yea, the tony hawk thing threw me a loop too...

Sending Love From Austin Texas , Forever in my thoughts! Space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
totally dude. it was my pleasure. today was so amazing for me, and i love my bbmb fam.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Here is a link to a blog post I put up including a picture I made as the photographer at the Museum of Science and Industry of the 'Beastie Boots'

http://dirkfletcher.blogspot.com/201...yauch-rip.html

Such a loss!

Dirk
Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Nasal Poets/Nasal Tongue

Corrected High School story from the NY Times - Tony Alva...

http://www.nytimes.com/schoolbook/20...rs-adam-yauch/

May 10, 2012, 1:26 p.m.

By SchoolBook

Adam Yauch, a founding member of the Beastie Boys who died of cancer last week, attended Edward R. Murrow High School in Brooklyn. One of his teachers, Judith Berezin List, remembers having him in her class as a gangly freshman in 1979. She wrote this piece for the Murrow Network, the student newspaper. It has been lightly edited.

By Judith Berezin List
The Network
Edward R. Murrow High School

Some of you might remember me. I taught Communication Arts (English) at Murrow High School from 1978 until 2007, becoming the department assistant principal in 2004. I left my beloved Murrow to become the English department chair at Brentwood High School, in Suffolk County. I would like to share my reminiscences of “MCA,” Adam Yauch, my former student at Murrow.

Edward R. Murrow High School yearbook

Driving home from work last Friday, I listened to the news on 1010 WINS and I was deeply saddened to learn of the untimely death of Adam Yauch. I had often spoken about Adam to my son, Joe, now 21 years old and a college student.

Joe, a longtime Beastie Boys fan, had previously told me that Adam had been battling cancer. So, through my tears, I called Joe, not only to tell him the sad news, but to ask him to help me understand my great sadness. After all, I had not seen Adam in about 30 years, but my grief was almost overwhelming.

Adam was my student in Writer’s Workshop. I can still remember where he sat, near the window in the front of the class in 210A. He was thin and so his jeans and sweaters always seemed big on him. That year Adam seemed to grow much taller, and his face became more masculine and less of a boy’s face. He was quiet and unassuming, but always a presence in the class.

Was he an angel and an ideal student? No. But then, I never did favor those angelic types!

I’ll tell you what he was: Adam Yauch was a regular kid, who sometimes needed to be pushed to do his homework — but not always — and sometimes came late — but not often — and who ultimately worked and learned some stuff about reading and writing in my class.

He liked his fellow students, he enjoyed a good laugh, and he had depth and humanity, even then.

When we discussed biographies for book reports, Adam read and wrote about Tony Alva, the superstar skateboarder. Thirty years later I still remember it for its unbridled admiration of Alva’s talents.

It never surprised me that Adam himself became a man of prodigious talent and who was concerned with people and philanthropy.

Often Adam and I would ride the subway together, as we lived on the same Brooklyn street. On those rides home from school, he spoke about his band and the gigs they were starting to get.

One day he excitedly told me that his band would soon be getting a record contract. I really liked this kid, and so I cautioned him about not being too disappointed if it didn’t work out, and that he sure had plenty of time to find success.

Oh boy, was I wrong! Adam and the Beastie Boys became, well … you know how great and influential they were.

On the day that Adam died, I explained to my son that my memories of “MCA” were not just of the performer who helped revolutionize late-20th-century music and poetry, the public figure who memorialized E.R. Murrow High School and the Avenue M station in his hip-hop love letters to New York City; no, I still see Adam’s sweet face in the classroom, at the age of 16 or so, writing from the heart whenever possible.

As Joe said, maybe my sadness should be mixed with pride for perhaps influencing this man a tiny bit. Maybe it is good to remember the hopeful teenage Adam Yauch and recognize the cleareyed goodness and humanism he possessed, evident still in all the later publicity photos.

To Adam’s parents, wife, child and family and friends, I am so sorry for your great loss.

To all his Murrow family, let’s remember him and honor him for his creative and optimistic spirit, for the good he brought to the world, and for his passionate commitment to life and the arts.

And to teachers all over, I share my stories of the late Adam Yauch to remind you that we can never know which of our students will bring about the next revolution or create the next new idea and inspire a generation; therefore we must passionately believe that every student will surely be the next one to move us all forward and bring us that unwavering message of hope.

Thank you, Adam.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this post misidentified the skateboarder that Mr. Yauch wrote about. It was Tony Alva, not Tony Hawk.

"All I ever really want to do is get nice
Get loose and goof my little slice of life"

"In the next millennium I'll still be old school"

Last edited by CatchaGroove : 05-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
There is only passion.

from Atlanta's Freakstep Records:

http://www.thefreakbeat.com/post/227...t-320-download

Oxtail, rice and peas, and ginger beer.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
yea, the tony hawk thing threw me a loop too...
Haha i was thinking the same thing, i was like.....Tony Hawk? wait..............

I Love Adam Yauch.
I truly lost apart of myself.
Rap in peace my beautiful friend.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Prince Of Scrabble

I don't know if anyone listens to the Stuff You Should Know podcast (it's awesome, you should), but on yesterday's one - 'What is a shotgun house?' - they had a listener mail about the Beastie Boys.

Stuff You Should Know

They read the mail at the end of the podcast, around the 20 minute mark.

The mail was about a girl who hung out with the Beastie Boys for a day during the License to Ill era, with stories about going to the Seven Eleven with Adrock and being kissed on the cheek by MCA.

The weird thing is, they recorded the podcast just before Yauch passed away...the timing is just a coincidence.
But the story is the same: Yauch was, and always has been a cool guy.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 AM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

I was just thinking that maybe there should be one more Tibetan Freedom Concert in Yauch's memory, but then I thought that it couldn't happen, because a lot of the people who went went because of the band, so what if Adrock and Mike D don't want to continue the Beastie Boys?

We Love You MCA!

Last edited by M.C. Guevera : 05-11-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Up in your Crawlspace

There is a story about MCA in the new Rolling Stone. I am disappointed he didn't get the cover

Keep it on

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM
The best mayne I deed it

We have a tv show here in australia called Rage that goes from midnightish to 6-7am on fri and sat nights, and it's just music videos. It's been going for decades, and a different band/artist hosts it every week and they pick the playlist. After just about every song it goes to the artist/s on the couch and they explain why they picked the next song.

The Beastie Boys hosted it in 1994 and 2007, and tonight Rage is playing both of their shows, its cool to see them sitting on the Rage couch at two different ages. MCA looks fucking suave in the 2007 one. It's playing right now, hopefully it will be available online. Do a search for ABC TV Rage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkat View Post
boning.
your mom,
amongst the azalea bushes.

the wind cuts through the brush like a pencil-dick.
teardrops on my ballsack.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleystp View Post
There is a story about MCA in the new Rolling Stone. I am disappointed he didn't get the cover
That's bullshit but the cover may have all ready been set. Hopefully next month. Lesser musicians have gotten the cover after their death (I'm looking you, Kurt Cobain. And I love Nirvana).

"MCA, where have you been?"

In our hearts, and he always will be.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 AM

In the Jewish Religion when someone dies we either send food, make a contribution in their name, or both. I was thinking since Adam was so amazing in his efforts to make the world a better place, it would be really cool if everyone on the board made a contribution to something in his name. He was involved in so much I am sure there is already something he has named, which possibly someone on here could inform us of ,or we can use a fund we already know he was involved in. Just a thought to honnor and pay respect to a man we all loved so much.

peace,
T
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm flowing prose to cons

A two hour prayer ceremony was held in honor of Adam by the Tibetan Association. Also the Tibet Center comments on his passing too. This is amazing! These people were in tears when they commented on his passing but the way they are honoring him blows my mind. He was truly their hero too.

http://www.tibetsun.com/news-you-wit...or-adam-yauch/

http://www.thetibetcenter.org/

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypb View Post
That's bullshit but the cover may have all ready been set. Hopefully next month. Lesser musicians have gotten the cover after their death (I'm looking you, Kurt Cobain. And I love Nirvana).
That is bullshit. Wittney Houston a drug addatic who did nothing to help make this world better got more of a tribute.

MTV's "tribute" with Sway has the most half assed bullshit they have ever done.

Sorry just annoyed
Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM
How It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
A two hour prayer ceremony was held in honor of Adam by the Tibetan Association. Also the Tibet Center comments on his passing too. This is amazing! These people were in tears when they commented on his passing but the way they are honoring him blows my mind. He was truly their hero too.

http://www.tibetsun.com/news-you-wit...or-adam-yauch/

http://www.thetibetcenter.org/
Quote:
“Although I had already offered my share of prayers earlier, I came here to offer tribute to the great soul,” described one of the aged Tibetans who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, with tears in his eyes.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM

i gave Yauch a shout on my Phillies blog...

http://philliesbunts.blogspot.com/

thank you Adam.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
report to the dancefloor

http://www.booooooom.com/2012/05/11/...boys-live-mix/

I run an art blog for a living and had to throw a post up and show my respect for MCA - been a long time since i logged in here but good to see so many tributes.

"shit but you know something? that photo be really small for real, shit. " - i_wear_manties

Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Nasal Poets/Nasal Tongue

Hiphopgods.com mix:

http://rapstation.com/shows/1616/can...ods-radio.html

http://hiphopgods.rapstation.com/new...tion.hhg.radio

On Friday, May 4th, hip hop and the world lost Adam Yauch, aka: MCA of the Beastie Boys. His contributions to the culture, with Mike D and Ad Rock at his side, were groundbreaking and unparalleled.

For the full 60 minutes on the new edition of HIPHOPGODS Radio, the life and music of MCA and the Beastie Boys is celebrated. Along with classics from their huge catalog of music, remixes are also featured from Sam Sever, Buckwild and Graham Coxon.

The HipHopCollector.com also comes through with the Song Of The Week, taking it back to 1985 on a pre-Licensed To Ill track with MCA & Burzootie. A must-listen.

Please check the sound http://rapstation.com/shows/1616/can...ods-radio.html and pass it around.

Official track list for edition #65 of HHG Radio:

Beastie Boys - Time To Get Ill

Song Of The Week from HipHopCollector.com
MCA & Burzootie - Drum Machine (Psycho Dust Version)

Beastie Boys - Finger Lickin' Good

Beastie Boys - Oh Word?

Beastie Boys - The Sounds Of Science

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (Fuzzy Logic Remix by Sam Sever & Jonathan Hoffman)

Beastie Boys - OK

Beastie Boys - Bodhisattva Vow

Beastie Boys - Slow Ride

Beastie Boys - Skills To Pay The Bills

Beastie Boys - Triple Trouble (Graham Coxon Remix)

Beastie Boys - Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun

Beastie Boys featuring Q-Tip - Get It Together (Buckwild Remix)

Beastie Boys - Long Burn The Fire

Last edited by CatchaGroove : 05-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Never-Nude

RHCP are playing all of Check Your Head before their concert...I'm trying to enjoy this, but it's hard.

The proof is in the puddin'

Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

We need video.

We Love You MCA!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Nasal Poets/Nasal Tongue

From Funky 16 Corners - nice write up:

http://funky16corners.com/?p=2755

Greetings all.

Welcome to another week here at the Corners du Fonque…

As has been mentioned several times recently most of what you’ve been reading here in the last few weeks was – due to necessity – prepared a few weeks in advance so as to facilitate the massive amount of commuting and other life-disrupting activities involved in my wife’s treatment (which, now that I mention it seems to be going well, so let’s keep those fingers crossed).

This weekend has been especially tiring, but the news of the passing of the mighty MCA, Adam Yauch could not be ignored, so as soon as we got home and rolled out of the Funky16Corners-mobile, I rolled into the record vault and got to work.

I have listened to hip hop, first passively (way back in the day) and then as a lightweight consumer with a focus therein on what I would consider dynamic use of sampled material.

You can’t really talk about that aspect of the game without giving props to the Beastie Boys.

Over the years the Beasties have played a big part in piqueing my interest in samples and by association the sounds sampled (why else would I have owned a copy of Alphonse Mouzon’s ‘Funky Snakefoot’) long before I was spinning (or writing about) funk, soul, jazz and rare groove.

Sampling/cut and paste is an art in which it’s not terribly difficult to separate the lazy slobs from the masters, i.e. being able to differentiate from someone who can lift a song wholesale and slap something new on it and someone who can hear a really interesting sound within another piece of music and re-purpose it in a way that makes your ears (and brain) perk up in admiration.

One of the dangers of trainspotting is that the listener runs the risk of getting lost in the component parts, losing sight of the forest for the digitally borrowed trees.

However, secure in the knowledge that good taste is sometimes its own reward, the best samples sound as good (or better) in their original form as they do when placed as a cog in another ‘machine’. Often (not always, obviously) groovy bits of sound are not sui generis, and are traceable back to an equally groovy “whole”, which is the case in the music I bring you today.

I like to think that the first time I had my mind blown by ‘Paul’s Boutique’ or ‘Check Your Head’ my crates (and ears) were deep enough that I recognized some of the coolest stuff, but at the same time I’m honest enough to admit that the ensuing years witnessed my recognition of some of that music for the first time (like the time my man Marshall down in DC dropped Jimmy Smith’s previously unknown – to me – version of ‘I’m Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit More Babe’ and the light bulb went off over my head).

It was in those moments of recognition that new digging targets were registered and I followed them into flea markets, record stores on onto the interwebs.

The cuts I bring you today are examples of some of my favorite Beastie Boys samples (drums, bass and guitar) out of my crates.

Some of them were things I already had, others, like the bass in ‘Big Sur Suite’ and ‘Yo Yo’ or the guitar in ‘Machine Gun’, I picked up first and discovered/recognized the sample(s) after the fact.

What all of them have in common, aside from the fact that they appealed to the Beasties, is that they are all worth listening to in their entirety.

Maybe some of you will be hearing the complete songs for the first time.

I hope you dig them all, and I’ll see you later in the week.

Keep the faith

Larry

Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Never-Nude

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Guevera View Post
We need video.
Sorry, playing it on the sound system, not playing it live. They did dedicate Me and My Friends to Adam.

The proof is in the puddin'

Old 05-12-2012, 08:12 AM
"Feelgood Vinny"

http://arrestedmotion.com/2012/05/st...e-mca-tribute/

&

http://thehundreds.com/blog/2012/05/...Jpqqbs.twitter

RIP MCA

Ballantine quarts with the puzzle on the cap
I couldn't help but notice I was caught in a speed trap
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry on the run from Dirty Harry
Stash the cash in the dash but my gun I did carry

Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM
zonin talkin on the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiPlnsDrftr View Post
good lord that is huge

Sending Love From Austin Texas , Forever in my thoughts! Space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
totally dude. it was my pleasure. today was so amazing for me, and i love my bbmb fam.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM

My tribute to Yauch, and the Beastie Boys:
IT'S THE BEAST-IE BOYS!!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:15 AM

Jim Shearer is shouting out Beastie Boys songs in reference to the videos being played on VH1's Top 20 right now.

Last edited by WesleyOHSnaps! : 05-12-2012 at 11:24 AM.