Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM

Default Thank You MCA

I haven't posted in a long time but today I wanted to be a part of the Beastie Boys community. There isn't anything new to say, but as I sit here watching tributes, looking at my poster for a 2004 club show, I know things will never be the same.

MCA (and the other Beastie Boys) was the kind of artist that felt larger than life and yet a friend at the same time. Talented, with good values and with a sense of fun. Obviously I didn't know him, but he had this way about him, and so many of us feel like we lost a friend. And the music and videos got me through tough times, and made me happier in the good ones. And when I'd quote a lyric and someone else recognized it, we knew there was a kindred spirit.

Thank you MCA. You inspire so many people. To the band, your friends and particularly Yauchs family, my deepest condolences.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Thank You MCA

Im in the same position irf1211. I have not been around for a while on this message board, just wanted to come here today to read, reflect, and remember.

I feel super lucky that my older brother introduced me to the Beasties when I was just a small guy. I have been listening to the boys ever since i can remember (born in 82), sound track to my life. i also have a younger brother and we all grew up LOVING the Beasties. All three of us took a trip to Chicago in 04 to see them, and in 07 my younger brother and i went up again for a gala event.

07 in Chicago at the Riviera is my all time favorite concert. Small venue 4 rows back, sweated through my 3 piece suit i bought at the good will please indulge me, i want to make an analogy to how i feel seeing MCA and the Beastie Boys for the last time.

You know how coaches or athletes will say leave it all on the field. Well in 07 at their concert I absolutely left every thing I had at their show. All my enthusiasm, sweat, joy, excitement, and i even think my fedora got left behind. Even though im heartbroken, I have this calm feeling when i think about that concert. There is no way any one could of had more fun or joy at a concert than i did that night.

Thanks for everything MCA, you will be truly missed.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Thank You MCA

Thanks for the reply. I have so many memories, many tied to shows in the summer of 2007 as well. I was in Brooklyn for the only Brooklyn show, and was also in Paris. One of my friends was in Paris with me and only wanted to go to one of the shows, so I was solo at the Gala show. I got a spot in a front corner and still think Yauch made eye contact and smiled at me. I was in the same spot at both shows, so I always pretended that he remembered me -- but no matter what I was a part of a community that was there for the music and understood that sounds and lyrics mean something.

I could have met them that second night in Paris. I was walking back to the metro and saw people waiting by a door -- which was the backstage door. A woman walked out of the door and it was Kathleen Hanna. I'm also a fan of hers. We talked for a few minutes about NY, their dog, travel. Another person came up and asked her if she knew the Beastie Boys. Kathleen and I shared a glance (she knew I knew her) and I said "this is a famous musician from the US." The woman walked away disappointed. I took the opportunity to ask if they wanted to meet fans and basically said they were always happy to be gracious but were really tired and hungry. I asked her if she would mention how much the shows meant to a fan from the US and said goodnight. She hugged me and agreed.

Yesterday and today I realized that was the only time I could have met Yauch. But I loved my Beastie Boys summer of 2007.

Thanks to all of you for indulging my memories.