Old 11-29-2014, 04:29 PM
crazy sniffable

Default The Vault Index

I thought it may be stimulating to try and compile a list of treasures that the storied beastie vault contains. Of course there's a vast ocean of material our beastley brains can't even fathom, but there is in fact a multitude of material that we do know exists in one form or another. Things that immediately come to mind are:

'The Jerry Lewis' reel
The Hot Sauce Committee Volume 1
The Too Many Rappers Video
The G-Son CD-Rom Tour (though parts of it did eventually leak, if I recall)
Def Jam's 'White House' Album, prod. by Chuck D (though technically in the Def Jam vault)
The Aquatic Sessions (ha!)
The CYH Mad Professor Dubs

What else? Please add!

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 11-29-2014, 07:50 PM
High Plains Drifter

Default Re: The Vault Index

Hot sauce committe part 1 really exists?

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 11-29-2014, 10:02 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

I've been thinking about doing this for a while. Here's some more:

TT5B unreleased tracks (15ish)
Triple Trouble (3 unreleased Brainpower remixes)
Joy to the world (Three Dog Night cover)
The Joker (Steve Miller Band cover)
Wonderwall (Oasis cover) - I think there is a studio version of this?
Negotiation Limerick File (Prunes Remix)
That's it that's all full video (portions of the video are on the SGH DVD, full video never released)
All lifestyles video (this was listed on oscilloscope's site back in the day)
Intergalactic (unreleased alternate fuzzy logic remixes)
Right right now now (Pharrell remix) (was on the original tracklist for the Japanese rrnn single)

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Last edited by Rodie : 11-29-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:49 PM
crazy sniffable

QUOTE=Brass Monk;1815913]Hot sauce committe part 1 really exists?[/quote]

well, the 2nd installment at least, not sure what 'volume' it would be titled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie View Post

TT5B unreleased tracks (15ish)
Triple Trouble (3 unreleased Brainpower remixes)
Joy to the world (Three Dog Night cover)
The Joker (Steve Miller Band cover)
Wonderwall (Oasis cover) - I think there is a studio version of this?
Negotiation Limerick File (Prunes Remix)
That's it that's all full video (portions of the video are on the SGH DVD, full video never released)
All lifestyles video (this was listed on oscilloscope's site back in the day)
Right right now now (Pharrell remix) (was on the original tracklist for the Japanese rrnn single)
nice additions rodie. was that jon king remix also one of those nonexistent RRNN single remixes also? ive always wanted to hear that...

Old 11-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie View Post
This would be awesome. The fuzzy logic remix is my favourite remix of Intergalactic.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Monk View Post
Yes.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Of course it does.

That Dust Brothers Open Letter remix!

Shout at the Devil!

Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 PM
High Plains Drifter

The original root down video with the 70's Knicks footage

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 11-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

How about the videos from the Gala shows. They asked folks to submit stuff getting ready for shows. Plus they had Jaimie and crew at several shows to professionally shoot them.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 11-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Music est. 1986

I also remember them having some camera's around the McCarren park pool show in Brooklyn back for the mix up tour. It would be great to see some pro shot footage from that show. It was a great one.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:56 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
QUOTE=Brass Monk;1815913]Hot sauce committe part 1 really exists?
nice additions rodie. was that jon king remix also one of those nonexistent RRNN single remixes also? ive always wanted to hear that...[/quote]

Oh yeah I forgot about that, I think there's a small blurb on it in the PB 33 1/3 book.

Also I remember Biz Markie saying he was going to record some stuff with them around when HSCP2 was released.

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Last edited by Rodie : 11-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:13 PM

any other 70's soul/pop covers recorded with biz on vocals. they discuss having considered doing an entire album of these covers in the IC remastered commentary.

on another note, the gala show footage being released would be my dream come true seeing as the Patriot Center show in DC during that tour was the only time I saw got to see them live. even though AIFST is pretty much a "best of" for that tour, I'd pay good money to see footage from the DC show!!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:15 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

AIFST=TT5B 04

Gala=Mix Up 07

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:13 AM

Arrow Re: The Vault Index

Desperado studio version.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:52 AM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post

That Dust Brothers Open Letter remix!

That's the one! i would give my left eye to hear that cut.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Last real russian BB fan

During creating of The Mix Up album , as I remember, Beasties recorded near 35 songs, but we 've heard only 19 tracks....

Well like my words is what I'm seeing through my own eyes
A little vision of the truth in a world of lies
When it comes to coming off I like to get my fill
Well I got the skills....
I've got the skills to pay the bills!!! (RIP, my man MCA)

Old 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
AIFST=TT5B 04

Gala=Mix Up 07

you're absolutely right. i wrote this after a long day of work and confused "the gala tour" with "the pageant tour"
Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Country Club show

thank you Adam.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:13 AM
repeat

• The extra album worth of material they made in the HN era.
• Anything the Nasal Tone/Poets/Crew
• Anything were samples couldn't clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by some korean pirate View Post
13 multilateral atomic arms reduction.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:11 AM
High Plains Drifter

I gotta be honest, I don't think HSCP1 exists in any real sense, I don't think the nasal poets ever really existed and I don't think a TMR music video exists.
I'd love to be wrong, but probably not.....

-Busta Rhymes

Old 12-02-2014, 08:27 AM
repeat

Quote:
I gotta be honest, I don't think HSCP1 exists in any real sense, I don't think the nasal poets ever really existed and I don't think a TMR music video exists.
Well in truth the vault has never existed - it was just a proposed project from the pre TT5B, post HN era.

A lot of these notions have a fair bit of clout behind them, the majority have been mentioned by the boys themselves so I think we'd all hope you're wrong too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some korean pirate View Post
13 multilateral atomic arms reduction.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Arrow Re: The Vault Index

What I would REALLY love to see is official releases of instrumentals and acapellas from all of the albums. They could either do them in LP format or, if they wanted to get super fancy and DJ friendly, they could do 12" single pressings with one song on each side (vocal, inst, acapalla).
Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I gotta be honest, I don't think HSCP1 exists in any real sense

You're wrong.

*Tracklisting*
1. Tadlock’s Glasses
2. B-Boys In The Cut
3. Make Some Noise
4. Nonstop Disco Powerpack
5. OK
6. Too Many Rappers (featuring NAS)
7. Say It
8. The Bill Harper Collection
9. Don’t Play No Game That I Can’t Win (featuring Santigold)
10. Long Burn The Fire
11. Bundt Cake
12. Funky Donkey
13. Lee Majors Come Again
14. Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament
15. Pop Your Balloon
16. Crazy Ass Shit
17. Here’s A Little Something For Ya

*Review*
1. Tadlock’s Glasses

The joking original mooted title of the album, Ad-Rock, Mike D and MCA get rolling with a curious nod to the driver of Elvis’s back-up singers. Distorted electronic squiggles dominate a slightly warped atmosphere that reprises yells of “And you don’t stop...” like ‘Sure Shot’ was recorded 15 years later on a stack of good drugs. Promising start...

2. B-Boys In The Cut

Banging bass and the throwback feel of To The 5 Boroughs are tempered by what appears to be the gruff tones of MCA, lyrics buried beneath an oddly satisfying muddy treatment as pitch-shifting vocals dip between layers of fuzziness. Ch-check it out.

3. Make Some Noise

Our EMI iPod (presented only after a high security full-body metal detector search for potential recording devices) reads ‘Make Some Noise If You’re With Me’, but whatever the title this is a definite future crowd hyper, almost Daft Punk-esque bass-line overlaid with thwacking dusty drums.

4. Nonstop Disco Powerpack

Lyricism more entangled than vines in a rainforest, a funky break and whistles rattle around as the mic is passed with a frequency. And unless there’s some serious yoghurting occurring on DiS’s part, Ad-Rock also appears to make the album’s strangest statement, proclaiming “See one last profiterole and make my play”. Finger-licking good.

5. OK

A playful vaguely squelchy electro intro is the signal for the Boys to rewind the clock, rhyming as if they were 20 years old again. Throw a vocoder breakdown into the mix, you say? Sure, why not...

6. Too Many Rappers (featuring Nas)

The indisputable high point of the record, thumping percussion accompanies the central sentiment: “Too many rappers/Not enough emcees”, although the ever-goofy threesome claim we misheard chat about “crack rappers”; the line in question is, they assure us, directed at “crab rappers”. There’s no disputing the proudly spat declaration “Grandpa been rapping since 1983”, though, and when Nas swaggers in with a seamless, highly conscious verse, Mix Master Mike might begin to look over his shoulder nervously as his fourth Beastie Boy mantle comes under threat. The most straight up hip-hop tune in recent BB history and all the better for it.

7. Say It

A menacing bass-line and more subtly overdriven mic effects give that in-the-booth feel, yet to the point where picking out individual lines beneath the hulking whole is tricky. Ends with a circus music-style mini-skit.

8. The Bill Harper Collection

The album’s first proper skit, purportedly an in-joke concerning the group’s business manager’s record collection. “Hi Adam, it’s Bill. Thanks” is the solitary vocal sample in 23 seconds of silliness. Dude sounds like a riot. To the extent we suspect he may own Creedence Clearwater Revival records.

9. Don’t Play No Game That I Can’t Win (featuring Santigold)

The reggae-tinged backdrop, faintly whiffing of an off-cut from former Beasties collaborator Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, betrays that Santigold very much takes the lead here. Sadly, there’s little chemistry, the ideas seemingly evaporate about midway through and the whole debacle is closer to Santigold featuring the Beastie Boys. Disappointing. Still, MCA, we think, restores a little cred, complaining about “clams with no tartar sauce”. Cream cakes and clams = ghetto, we think you’ll agree.

10. Long Burn The Fire

Ad-Rock is in combative mood here, boldly offering “I check my rear view/Emcees ain’t getting closer”, while a superhero-ish element imagines biting through haters with sharks teeth, clawing them with tiger’s claws and shooting poison out of their eyes. Rage Against The Machine-worthy bottom end and rampant organ seal the deal.

11. Bundt Cake

Another skit, this time a mere 21 seconds over a crisp drum break with snatches of cyber vocals.

12. Funky Donkey

“Put this on a zip disc/Send it to your lawyer” is an opening threat that doesn’t go unnoticed. The rhymes are almost throwaway over a beat that could almost sample Adamski, if only we knew the Beasties would never rewire something so simple to decipher.

13. Lee Majors Come Again

Already out there in the scary wide world as a sly snippet giveaway with select copies of the recent Check Your Head re-issue (ditto an a cappella of ‘B-Boys In The Cut’, fact fans), this is a hardcore punk days nod with meaty guitar chug. Ad-Rock, it seems, declares “I seen your grandpa in apple bottom jeans” and successfully manages to make it a dis, an achievement in itself, frankly...

14. Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament

For such politically active musicians it always seems frustrating that the Beastie Boys have rarely strayed into global social issues on record; nothing really changes here, beyond the title, although the vocals are once again a touch buried to be sure, something close to liquid g-funk and disconnected phased-up beats three-quarters of the way to an Usher hit obliterated by robot voice effects of prime ‘Intergalactic’ intent. This is either Kraftwerk scored by Dr Dre or our headphones are a bit shonky.

15. Pop Your Balloon

Continuing the pop-brushed theme, a quite dramatic sweeping intro doesn’t, as it really easily could, push into a Britney Spears moan-fest, instead pivoting off an insistent break and plenty of nasal Ad-Rock delivery.

16. Crazy Ass Shit

More food talk! This time “smoked salmon”. Damn, we’re hungry now. A sampled child’s voice is the key to the not-so-safe-for-kids ‘Crazy Ass Shit’ though, “You can’t stop/You’ve got to keep on” becoming a youthful mantra.

17. Here’s A Little Something For Ya

Initial bass burps raise eyebrows – are the Beasties about to follow Snoop Dogg into dipping tentative toes into dubstep? Once that opening has passed, however, it’s more familiar ground: playful rhymes, a terrace refrain, an organ breakdown, followed by what appears to be an untitled secret outro, proudly shouting out New York City with hands on hearts.

Last edited by Micodin : 12-02-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 PM

I don't understand how people can still be confused about the unreleased potential of the HSC era. There's the obvious original version of the album, i.e. the one that existed before it's re-mixing / mastering and slight alteration of the track-listing (and before that magnificent original cover art was changed).

And then there are the songs which were intended for release as a separate album (which would have originally been part 2), which Mike speculated on releasing in a different (or novel) manner.

Even if the latter does not exist in the cohesive form of an actual album (i.e. sequenced appropriately, mixed properly etc), I definitely believe an albums worth of extra material exists from the HSC sessions, and was originally planned to follow up what would have been the 2009 release of Hot Sauce.

That aside I've always thought most the "vault" speculation is just that: speculation. The off-cuts of Hello Nasty on the remastered edition's bonus disc are hardly a treasure trove of material. The CYH/IC era would mostly involve endless jams and experimentation which never made the records for a reason, while material worth salvaging worked it's way onto b-sides.

I remember the studio list of song titles which appeared in the run up to TT5B (e.g. the Fila one?), and i know some of then ended up as genuine songs, but that's not to say the rest were properly recorded or evolved beyond a loose-demo stage.

Any dusty gems from the 80's worth salvaging?

Instead of songs or materials which either never fitted a particular album or were simply not good enough, I'd much rather see "lost" footage recorded over the years, from the potential pro-shot Gala gig to the obvious Holy Grail - further footage from that short Paul's Boutique club show where the Shadrach video was shot.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Phone your mom or dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
How about the videos from the Gala shows. They asked folks to submit stuff getting ready for shows. Plus they had Jaimie and crew at several shows to professionally shoot them.
I was going to mention this. It was to be a DVD release. I assume all of the Mix Up videos would appear, along with submitted fan footage of getting ready for the Gala Event. Some good quality video of live songs or even a whole show was what I was crossing my fingers for. I didn't notice any elaborate camera set up at The Mix Up show I attended. Does anyone remember them filming any of their shows during that tour?

I DON'T WEAR CROCS
AND I DON'T WEAR SANDLES
I GOT THE CUSTOM MADE BOOTS
WITH THE SPIKY THINGS

Old 12-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Scientist

Yauch's final recordings would be interesting to hear.

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 12-02-2014, 04:22 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
That aside I've always thought most the "vault" speculation is just that: speculation.
i think the idea of an actual physical "vault" is merely just a metaphor for the sum of their unreleased material. i doubt an actual vault exists. perhaps a few storage spaces, if anything.

on a sidenote, i do remember them mentioning at one point that they have a space of unreleased material that they unfondly referred to as the "crap factory".

and lastly, for the record, my initial reference to HSC pt.1 was in regards to the 2nd album's worth of material they had mentioned during the time of pt. 2's release. i dont think it is any mystery that there was another LP in the pipeline; thought they addressed that on more than one occassion, i.e. the 'showering fans with mp3s' interview. and dont forget the bob dylan sample from his radio show and mike's fart spray cologne. kinda shocked that this topic is still being debated.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Current Member

Quote:
and lastly, for the record, my initial reference to HSC pt.1 was in regards to the 2nd album's worth of material they had mentioned during the time of pt. 2's release. i dont think it is any mystery that there was another LP in the pipeline; thought they addressed that on more than one occassion, i.e. the 'showering fans with mp3s' interview. and dont forget the bob dylan sample from his radio show and mike's fart spray cologne. kinda shocked that this topic is still being debated.
Agreed. It was addressed so many times, and it wasn't the 'goofing' type of insight.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
kinda shocked that this topic is still being debated.
Well, there's a grip of people on here that are either in denial or talk out of their ass.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 AM
crazy sniffable

could be wishful thinking getting the best of me, but i strongly feel we'll see another release or two from the bboy catalog before all is said and done. for a considerably adventurous band that notoriously released albums at nearly half the rate as typical acts, it's undeniable how much material they must have compiled over the years and just too fitting of an opportunity for a band that gets it's jollies from doing fun creative things for its fans. tons of opportunity.

i also cant shake the remark mario made after Yauch's passing about all the unused beastie material he'd been sifting through, some of which was really solid stuff.