Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 PM

Default Hot Sauce vinyl error?

I have the standard US issue white vinyl copy of HSCP2 and was listening to it the other day when I noticed something odd. I was listening to the C side and was busy doing something else, so the needle went all the way through the run-out groove.

Then, I heard a noise over and over again. I went back to the record player and saw the needle sitting right next to the label where it should be, but it was playing this sound. I then realized it was the first maybe 1/4 second of "Long Burn the Fire," which is the first track on the C side.

It looks like they accidentally started re-recording side C in the run-out. I was wondering if anyone else has this version and has noticed this as well, or do I just have a weird ass copy?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Default Re: Hot Sauce vinyl error?

Just checked - and nothing extra on the end of Side C for me.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Arrow Re: Hot Sauce vinyl error?

I'll have to check. Sometimes they'll purposefully do "locked groves" on LPs. For example, the drum machine beat at the end of Licensed to Ill will run indefinitely. This sounds like it might just be a pressing error. It would be a little weird to have that on just one copy though. I believe there are master-discs and the production LPs all match that. I could be wrong though.

Also, if your record player automatically lifts the needle at the end of play then typically you won't hear the locked groves because the needle picks up before you get to the last groove.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Up in your Crawlspace

I will check mine when I get home too.

One thing on the CYH remaster (digital and CD, not sure about the vinyl)that bugs me is there is a skip at the beginning of Boomin' Granny. I checked multiple CD's and it is on every one I checked. I went back to a version from a CD single.

Keep it on

Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I'll have to check. Sometimes they'll purposefully do "locked groves" on LPs. For example, the drum machine beat at the end of Licensed to Ill will run indefinitely.
What version of Licensed to Ill has this locked groove?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleystp View Post

One thing on the CYH remaster (digital and CD, not sure about the vinyl)that bugs me is there is a skip at the beginning of Boomin' Granny. I checked multiple CD's and it is on every one I checked. I went back to a version from a CD single.
Just got home and checked my copy of CYH remaster on vinyl (it's the collector's edition coffee table book one). It has the skip on Boomin' Granny too. Then I busted out the Jimmy James EP on vinyl and no skips on Boomin' Granny there. Looks like the fucked up the remaster master disc and it made it to press.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Current Member

My HSC vinyl has this, too.

On the PB remaster (digital file at least) I have a skip sound on Stop that Train around the "the neck:tortoise, ya Lees....." part.

EDIT: Boomin Granny skip is in effect on the CD version of the CYH remaster also. Not sure if that's helpful in the slightest.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 09-12-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
My HSC vinyl has this, too.

On the PB remaster (digital file at least) I have a skip sound on Stop that Train around the "the neck:tortoise, ya Lees....." part.
Thanks - I wonder if every US copy has this same issue...

Also, I just checked my PB vinyl remaster and it has the same skip on Stop that Train. It sounds to me less like an actual skip and more like some interference ended up on the track - like back in the day when you'd get shitty mp3s off Napster and they'd have all kinds of weird glitch sounds, except this one is very faint.

This seems like something Bigfatlove would be interested in. You there?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:16 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleystp View Post

This drives me nuts. Also, Netty's Girl is just a little bit slower than it is on previous releases.

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 09-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Mine has this too. I think I posted about it when the album came, but I am too lazy to check right now.

But yeah, not a mistake. Most likely a fun easter egg type thing. Bands have done this for a long time.

message board

Old 09-15-2017, 04:43 AM

Arrow Re: Hot Sauce vinyl error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
What version of Licensed to Ill has this locked groove?
I think all of the US releases from the when the album was generally available (1986 and on) have it. I have 3 or 4 copies and I believe they all have it. I'm less sure about represses.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I think all of the US releases from the when the album was generally available (1986 and on) have it. I have 3 or 4 copies and I believe they all have it. I'm less sure about represses.
Hmm, that's odd. I have a 1986 US pressing and I tried it out - no locked track. Have you tried playing them on different record players? Maybe the tone arm is resetting over and over again? Or maybe some copies just have it and some don't.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:17 AM

I checked 3 white U.S. and 3 black EU copies and all had the locked groove at the end of the run out grooves on side C. With the audio tuc mentioned. I have no idea whether it was intentional or not, but side D ends with a locked groove as well but no audio.