Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 10-08-2020, 11:41 AM

Default Licensed to Ill - clear vinyl reissue?

Ok, so I'm also seeing this reissue scheduled for October 16, 2020 online:
https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/Colour...yl/6PNQ0X5R000

The track listing is missing Time To Get Ill as well. No disrespect but... this appears to be a UK release and I've seen a number of colored bootlegs coming out from the UK in recent years.

Anyone know?
Old 10-09-2020, 01:05 AM
(¯`·.,¸¸.-»

Default Re: Licensed to Ill - clear vinyl reissue?

My local record store has it listed as well together with a bunch of other classic releases on limited coloured vinyl.

https://www.platomania.nl/album/8854...-/beastie-boys
Old 10-17-2020, 09:47 PM

So a little update...

This record has now shown up on the Walmart website where it features a "Walmart Exclusive" label.

This whole thing seems suspect as hell. First of all, the "Walmart Exclusive" thing is obviously bullshit since it's available from numerous European websites that have nothing to do with Walmart. I guess Walmart could have exclusive distribution rights in the US. But second, the track listing is missing Time To Get Ill on every listing (European or American) I've seen so far. And third, the description is really, REALLY weird. Again, regardless of whether the site is European or American (at least the English-language ones), the description mentions that the album is the first by a "Jewish hip-hop act" to win five mics from The Source magazine. That has to be one of the strangest marketing angles I've ever seen.

Either this is a bootleg that the label hasn't detected yet or Def Jam is trying to appeal to the niche demographic of observant Jewish Walmart old-school hip-hop fans.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:39 AM
(¯`·.,¸¸.-»

The release is on Discogs now.

https://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys...lease/16077509

As far as I can see it's a legit Universal release, part of their Limited Coloured Vinyl release series.
https://www.recordsonvinyl.nl/collec...red-vinyl-drop

Last edited by Taco Zip : 10-19-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:41 AM

Missing a track is lame. Seems pretty obvious this is a label release without any sort of input from the band. Easy skip for me.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Old 10-19-2020, 02:40 PM
(¯`·.,¸¸.-»

Quote:
Originally Posted by balohna View Post
Missing a track is lame.
True!
Old 10-19-2020, 02:44 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Missing a track is lame. Seems pretty obvious this is a label release without any sort of input from the band. Easy skip for me.
i'm sure it's just a misprint on the listings, can't imagine they release without the final track.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 10-20-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
i'm sure it's just a misprint on the listings, can't imagine they release without the final track.
I think that's right. It was one of the reasons why I thought it might be a bootleg though: it looks like so many websites just had the same poor description copied and pasted in without anyone actually checking anything. The description is still weird...
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
It fits in with Def Jam's complete lack of giving a shit about actually doing anything interesting with this record after 34 years. I get that the whole "unreleased" tracks thing is probably not even possible at this point due to lost tapes, copyright issues, etc., but I mean... could they at least try to release it with a booklet? A bonus 7"? Something? I feel like if Def Jam re-issues LTI with nice packaging and included She's On It as a special colored single, that would be such little effort for reissuing an album that pretty much made the label.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:13 PM

Update for anyone who...uh.....gives a shit about this release.

I received my copy and here's the deal. It's a repressing of the 2016 reissue on what seems to be 180g clear-ish vinyl (it has a slight yellowish tint almost like a dirty fish tank). Other than that, it's what you'd expect. The cover is really washed out just like the Def Jam reissues usually are. It comes in a pretty decent inner sleeve with the original sleeve included as well, although it looks like this was a poor quality photo-copy of the original 1986 1st edition (minus the info about joining the fan club by sending a letter to an address in New York).

But yeah, that's it. The sound quality is fine. Time to Get Ill is indeed on the record despite its absence from almost all of the English-language promotional material.

This is still such a weird reissue to me. Almost no promotion, and the promotion that did exist was just super weird and poorly done. Oh well, at least it was relatively cheap. I'm sure Def Jam is thrilled to make some more money by doing absolutely nothing special as usual.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:54 PM
space cake cookie

yea i got it too, i was due for a new copy because the two i have don't play so well even after multiple cleanings so why not. sounds good though, packaging same ol, color is like a dirty fish bowl, that's really funny btw. pressings is good and the music sounds good and that was the intent anyway.

thank you adam adam & mike