Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 09:31 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Default Herb ass Ricky Powell got that doc out

The trailer looks dope but trailers always do. Honesty, the trailer was starting to reach the end and I was a little disappointed that neither Adam nor Mike seem to be participating In this thing but thankfully Mike D pops up

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ailer-1007030/

Last edited by Extra Cheese : 05-30-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Herb ass Ricky Powell got that doc out

Looks good, l hope its to buy or on netflix

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 06-01-2020, 02:36 AM
Dear New York

Fantastic!

www.musicfanclubs.org/beastieboys

If I had a car it would be a cadalac, Rockin on the mic, I'm not the wacky wack!

Old 06-01-2020, 11:00 AM

I missed the free preview on youtube. Is it any where else online?

thank you Adam.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:15 PM
space cake cookie

what does everyone think about RP? he used to make me laugh, his pics are iconic to say the least, he's an artist who shouldn't have been an artist and no doubt he captured a special moment in time. he's a schlep but he's also the first one to tell you he's a schlep. he's prob broke as hell. seems like their was def a parting of the seas, beasties went one direction and he took a hard left the other. we'll never know but i'd be shocked if either of them are in the doc, at least anything less than archival footage. just seems like they tried real hard to distance themselves from him before social distancing was a thing.

can't wait to see doc though.

thank you adam adam & mike

Last edited by dust monkey : 06-01-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:27 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
what does everyone think about RP? he used to make me laugh, his pics are iconic to say the least, he's an artist who shouldn't have been an artist and no doubt he captured a special moment in time. he's a schlep but he's also the first one to tell you he's a schlep. he's prob broke as hell. seems like their was def a parting of the seas, beasties went one direction and he took a hard left the other. we'll never know but i'd be shocked if either of them are in the doc, at least anything less than archival footage. just seems like they tried real hard to distance themselves from him before social distancing was a thing.

can't wait to see doc though.
Ricky comes to my mind as the asshole friend Horovitz talks about in the first chapter of the book. Fun to be around, talk shit with, get drunk but is kind of an asshole.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 06-15-2020, 06:28 PM

I can't find this doc anywhere... just the trailer. Was it a one time "screening" and will be available to watch some time in the future? Anyone have any idea?
Old 06-16-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan2276 View Post
I can't find this doc anywhere... just the trailer. Was it a one time "screening" and will be available to watch some time in the future? Anyone have any idea?
It looks like the doc is "on the festival circuit" right now, so they're probably gonna screen it a few more times before they put it out on a streaming service. There's some contact info for the sales representative at the bottom of this page - maybe she's know?
https://www.tribecafilm.com/films/ri...vidualist-2020
Old 06-16-2020, 10:24 AM

Arrow Re: Herb ass Ricky Powell got that doc out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
It looks like the doc is "on the festival circuit" right now, so they're probably gonna screen it a few more times before they put it out on a streaming service. There's some contact info for the sales representative at the bottom of this page - maybe she's know?
https://www.tribecafilm.com/films/ri...vidualist-2020
I hope so. I've been trying to find "White Lines and The Fever: The Death of DJ Junebug" for a decade now. It came out and did the festival circuit and then that was it. No streaming, no DVD, no blu-ray. I can't find it anywhere.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I hope so. I've been trying to find "White Lines and The Fever: The Death of DJ Junebug" for a decade now. It came out and did the festival circuit and then that was it. No streaming, no DVD, no blu-ray. I can't find it anywhere.
I'd never heard of that Junebug doc, but it sounds amazing. Have you tried emailing the guy who made it? http://www.tgsenger.com/contact

Always worth a shot.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I'd never heard of that Junebug doc, but it sounds amazing. Have you tried emailing the guy who made it? http://www.tgsenger.com/contact

Always worth a shot.
^this is a good idea.

message board

Old 12-10-2021, 10:57 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Just saw this on showtime. Very interesting. Definitely gives you a revealing look to the man that was Ricky Powell. Him being an asshole human being was touched upon but kept somewhat tame. Second half felt uncomfortable at times to be watching dude’s life
Old 12-11-2021, 12:46 AM

the Ricky Powell doc is on on Showtime and they have another doc on there that’s about Ralph McDaniels and the Video Music Box that’s directed by Nas and it’s incredible.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:12 PM

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-27-2021, 12:37 PM
space cake cookie

my wife and i watched this last night and WOW. seek this out because it is one of the best docs i've ever seen in any genre. i'm coming off a trip to both the new york, new music exhibit and a trip to the universal hip hop museum so my mind was already in this space, but i have a totally different opinion on RP now. not that my view was bad, but i didn't give this guy his do credit and he deserves it. triathlon winner, roommate of cey, crazy Ruth, how plugged in he was from the absolute get-go, his demons, his somewhat redemption then of course his death. when he started talking about his separation from the beasties you can tell he was hurt. like that shit fucked him up and perhaps started his spiral and he missed them dearly. glad mike participated, guessing there was bad bad blood horovitz could not overcome to join.

anyway can't recommend enough. what an awesome life he lived. i'm surprised he lived as long as he did but i wish i would have bumped into this dude just to say thank you and take care of yourself.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:31 PM

Just watched it as well. I only know Ricky from his public life and reputation, but what I can say is that this documentary did a really good job of talking about him, his involvement in early hip-hop and general celebrity culture in his prime, and - given his demons and untimely death - does this without making the whole thing seem like a big tragedy. It's just a really interesting documentary all around.

I agree that the latter half was kind of difficult to watch at times, specifically when dealing with Ruth (his mother). I'm not a psychologist, but I think it's undeniable that his childhood did a number on him. It's the only thing he consistently seems upset about at every stage in the documentary. Even when he tries to play it off, you can tell that having a really bad mom really messed him up and he never quite got over it.

But still, definitely worth a watch in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:01 PM
technically insane

i enjoyed it alot

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 12-31-2021, 11:11 AM

Finally watched this on Showtime and it was really well done. There's a lot of Beastie footage in it too.

I talked to Ricky right before Check Your Head came out and he was super friendly. You can tell he loved the Beastie Boys.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:53 PM

I haven't seen the doc yet (it's not available where I live) but does it explain why the Beasties ditched Ricky?
Old 01-03-2022, 07:25 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmanuk View Post
I haven't seen the doc yet (it's not available where I live) but does it explain why the Beasties ditched Ricky?
a little but you really don't need the doc to know. RP was a one-way street type of guy, they were not.

still...download the torrent and check it, you'll love it.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmanuk View Post
Ricky himself says that the group just started changing in a way that was different from himself. He references MCA becoming more involved in spirituality, and other commentators noted that the Beasties were growing in a way where having Ricky around just didn't make a lot of sense.

Mike D actually addresses it directly and, being a true grown-up, says "We started changing and Ricky didn't, and why should he?" I like that Mike threw that in. I think most people see the changing Beasties as a good thing, and Ricky sticking to his ways are kind of sad, but Mike's cool enough to not judge Ricky.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:51 PM

Just watched it. Thought it was great. Ricky has always been an obviously flawed person but really human. Fascinating stuff. Life is too short.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:54 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

The doc puts the breakup at ‘95. but he was still kind of around after ‘95, Tibetan freedom concerts, grand royal magazine, the pic of biz, the band, Mario C. was around ‘98, he was even in the mtv beastieography in ‘98 seemingly without any animosity and vouching that they weren’t fight for your right type guys.