Old 03-06-2019, 09:51 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Default Album Sample Videos

This dude does these videos playing clips from the songs that were sampled back to back with the sample in the B-Boys song. He's done the first 5 albums now. Pretty cool. He does a bunch of other bands too. Definitely worth checking out.

Licensed to Ill
Paul's Boutique
Check Your Head
Ill Communication
Hello Nasty

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 03-08-2019, 03:53 PM
(¯`·.,¸¸.-»

Default Re: Album Sample Videos

That's awesome. Gonna watch them all this weekend.
Unfortunately the Paul's Boutique video is not available in my country.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:30 PM

Listening to the Check Your Head and Ill Communication ones reminds me of something the band had always said, and also reiterated in the book: those years they spent basically just buying records, playing basketball, and sometimes making music were crucial for the success of the group.

LTI was uncharted waters, and they'd never revisit it again. PB was a trip, but was also largely a product of meeting the Dust Brothers and Mario C. But CYH and IC showed that the Beastie Boys were real hip-hop music creators in all regards. One of the fundamentals of what rap/hip-hip music used to be the layering of samples over each other to produce a totally new sound, right? Just look at "The Scoop." How many different cuts are on that track? How many styles of music? How about the fact that the tone of the song is kind of heavy, dark, and explosive, while none of the samples are? How about that all three MCs really had "grown up" moments on that track? "Because you hide in broad daylight, a parasite, a hypocrite, you take a peek quick, you turn your nose up, you think you're high up, you play is real safe, and then your shit's fake" / "In the search for truth I go a lot of ways. There's not a lot of peace that I find these days. I try to stay cool, I try to stay calm. But my life is gettin' hectic like a smoke bomb" / "Kickin rhymes from the heart, cuz that's where I'm at. Fuck the bullshit be it far from me to pop that."

The depth and breadth of musical knowledge that had to go into making those album is amazing - as is the fact that this was done AFTER the big sampling fiascos of the early 90s. There's a clip from some interview with Del the Funky Homosapien floating around somewhere where he talks about hanging out with the Beastie Boys for the first time and being kind of skeptical about the guys, but then Mike D starting playing records and Del had never heard of any of them and it kind of blew him away.

While a lot of the older generations don't really get sampling, a lot of really young people probably just assume that everything is done on a computer with generated sounds. But I think if anyone really saw went into making albums like these, they'd have to be impressed.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Listening to the Check Your Head and Ill Communication ones reminds me of something the band had always said, and also reiterated in the book: those years they spent basically just buying records, playing basketball, and sometimes making music were crucial for the success of the group.

LTI was uncharted waters, and they'd never revisit it again. PB was a trip, but was also largely a product of meeting the Dust Brothers and Mario C. But CYH and IC showed that the Beastie Boys were real hip-hop music creators in all regards. One of the fundamentals of what rap/hip-hip music used to be the layering of samples over each other to produce a totally new sound, right? Just look at "The Scoop." How many different cuts are on that track? How many styles of music? How about the fact that the tone of the song is kind of heavy, dark, and explosive, while none of the samples are? How about that all three MCs really had "grown up" moments on that track? "Because you hide in broad daylight, a parasite, a hypocrite, you take a peek quick, you turn your nose up, you think you're high up, you play is real safe, and then your shit's fake" / "In the search for truth I go a lot of ways. There's not a lot of peace that I find these days. I try to stay cool, I try to stay calm. But my life is gettin' hectic like a smoke bomb" / "Kickin rhymes from the heart, cuz that's where I'm at. Fuck the bullshit be it far from me to pop that."

The depth and breadth of musical knowledge that had to go into making those album is amazing - as is the fact that this was done AFTER the big sampling fiascos of the early 90s. There's a clip from some interview with Del the Funky Homosapien floating around somewhere where he talks about hanging out with the Beastie Boys for the first time and being kind of skeptical about the guys, but then Mike D starting playing records and Del had never heard of any of them and it kind of blew him away.

While a lot of the older generations don't really get sampling, a lot of really young people probably just assume that everything is done on a computer with generated sounds. But I think if anyone really saw went into making albums like these, they'd have to be impressed.
Agreed 100% but scoop was largely Mario C. Although he may have only come up with the basic beat (per the instrumental streaming on his website) it’s the boys who layered and arranged I’m sure.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 03-09-2019 at 01:09 AM.