Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Default TISFWO, TT5B and HSCPT2 Vinyl Re-Issue

Beasties' Facebook page shared the following today:

"Back again!
These 3 titles have been out of print on vinyl, so we're bringing em back!
Get them at your local record store on December 8 or pre-order them here: https://UMe.lnk.to/BeastieBoysVinyl
The In Sound From Way Out, To the 5 Boroughs and Hot Sauce Committee Part Two are scheduled to ship on December 8 from the online store."

As someone who has been looking for an affordable pressing of TT5B for a while now, I am pretty pumped about this.

Adam, you will be forever missed.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 PM

Default Re: TISFWO, TT5B and HSCPT2 Vinyl Re-Issue

This is awesome!

Any idea about the details of the reissues (180g vinyl, remaster, anything like that)?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 AM
Jay

I was just about to post this. Definitely gonna cop that 5 Boroughs. Sad that the HSC vinyls wont be white. Luckily, I got that shit day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
This is a quote.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:30 AM

Yar all 180. Not remastered, I don't think.

And agreed, I've been trying to get TT5B for a while. I'd like an original, but I can never justify 80 bucks or whatever.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 AM

So for those interested....

I checked out the track listing on the TISFWO reissue and noticed that this pressing will have the standard US CD version tracks.

The original and 98 vinyl reissue did not have Namaste and Lighten Up, probably because there were not originally instrumental tracks. The CD version included these, but dropped Futterman's Rule (which I've always thought was a terrible decision).

So this 2017 reissue will essentially be the CD version, but pressed to vinyl.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:34 PM

Strange, cos the track-listing on the UK store is the original vinyl track-listing... i.e. with Futterman's Rule but without Namaste and Lighten Up. Though it also has the vinyl kicking off with Ricky's Theme. But you're right, in the US store it's as you describe. I wonder if they are actually different presses. Seems unlikely.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Last edited by dave790 : 11-11-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Arrow Re: TISFWO, TT5B and HSCPT2 Vinyl Re-Issue

Looking at Beastiemania, it appears all previous vinyl releases have the original (yellow vinyl) track listing. It would be cool if this one was the CD version with the new tracks.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Yup, all the previous vinyl versions have that track listing with Futtermans Rule and without Lighten Up and Namaste.

In addition to the yellow vinyl limited release of 5000, there was also a regular black release as part of the first pressing too. This wasn't a numbered, limited edition, but was an original pressing that had the same track listing. Then the reissue in '98 had the same listing as well and came only in black.

I didn't expect these reissues at all, but now that we have them, I'm kind of wondering why they didn't reissue other albums that could use a re-boot. The Mix Up has never been reissued, but then again, it's still cheap on Discogs and other places, so maybe they figured there wasn't much demand. Aglio e Olio came out the same year as The In Sound From Way Out ('95), and to me has always had the most frustrating vinyl history of all the major releases. To my knowledge, there was only ever a Canadian vinyl release and they can be pretty pricey today. Then there was the Australian 2x7" polycarbonate lathe-cut release, but those are crazy expensive and don't sound very good.

I also think Aglio e Olio would do well for a reissue because it could be remastered really well. Since it was an instrument-based punk rock album, I bet there's a lot more they can do with those original tapes as opposed to hip-hop releases where you're remastering samples that can't really be remastered.

So yeah...... Capitol execs..... I've got $30 with your name on it for an Aglio e Olio remaster (maybe on white vinyl????)
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 PM
crazy sniffable

Futterman's is the ropest. Sounds like the soundtrack to the illest Coors Light or Juicy Fruit commercial ever.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 11-15-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Yup, all the previous vinyl versions have that track listing with Futtermans Rule and without Lighten Up and Namaste.

In addition to the yellow vinyl limited release of 5000, there was also a regular black release as part of the first pressing too. This wasn't a numbered, limited edition, but was an original pressing that had the same track listing. Then the reissue in '98 had the same listing as well and came only in black.

I didn't expect these reissues at all, but now that we have them, I'm kind of wondering why they didn't reissue other albums that could use a re-boot. The Mix Up has never been reissued, but then again, it's still cheap on Discogs and other places, so maybe they figured there wasn't much demand. Aglio e Olio came out the same year as The In Sound From Way Out ('95), and to me has always had the most frustrating vinyl history of all the major releases. To my knowledge, there was only ever a Canadian vinyl release and they can be pretty pricey today. Then there was the Australian 2x7" polycarbonate lathe-cut release, but those are crazy expensive and don't sound very good.

I also think Aglio e Olio would do well for a reissue because it could be remastered really well. Since it was an instrument-based punk rock album, I bet there's a lot more they can do with those original tapes as opposed to hip-hop releases where you're remastering samples that can't really be remastered.

So yeah...... Capitol execs..... I've got $30 with your name on it for an Aglio e Olio remaster (maybe on white vinyl????)
There are 2 legit Canada 12" releases for AEO. Black and Translucent brown. I don't know if it was intentional or a difference in manufacturing though.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
There are 2 legit Canada 12" releases for AEO. Black and Translucent brown. I don't know if it was intentional or a difference in manufacturing though.
Huh, I never knew. My version is translucent brown, but it looks black until you hold it up to the light. I always assumed it was just a weird grade of vinyl and they intended for it to be black.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Huh, I never knew. My version is translucent brown, but it looks black until you hold it up to the light. I always assumed it was just a weird grade of vinyl and they intended for it to be black.
I have an Ill Communication that's the same way. I think you're on the money about the vinyl being different somehow, and that it's an oddity rather than a completely different vinyl run.