Old 03-03-2007, 03:07 PM

Default MARIO C???

i am new to this board, but have been a crazed beasties fan for, holy shit, about 20 years..
this definitely should have been touched on before, as it may have. where the hell is mario C? his absence was glaring on tt5b. i was recently listening to my ipod and put on artist shuffle-beasties. and i have a HUGE library of beasties music. every song i skipped was from tt5b. that album is stinking terrible(relative to previous beasties albums). it took me a minute to realize that they were all from tt5b. and it was definitely the music. the rhymes were nice, but the beats and arrangements were just downright stupid.
so is mario C going to be here to right the ship for the new album? where was he on tt5b?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Watch Your Eyes

Default Re: MARIO C???

dam what you on son? dat boroughs shit was fiya
Old 03-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Phone your mom or dad!

I know that's you, Mario

I DON'T WEAR CROCS
AND I DON'T WEAR SANDLES
I GOT THE CUSTOM MADE BOOTS
WITH THE SPIKY THINGS

Old 03-03-2007, 04:29 PM

http://beastiemania.com/whois/caldato_mario/
Old 03-04-2007, 04:46 AM

"so is mario C going to be here to right the ship for the new album?"

Pretty unlikely. Mario and MCA had some pretty personal beef towards the end. I would reckon any details about that one would get deleted off the board, and be very dissapointing to their fans. Anyway, Adrock did a large portion of the demos for Hello Nasty, so once they went digital all they really needed was an engineer to assist.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm a skorpio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell215
i am new to this board, but have been a crazed beasties fan for, holy shit, about 20 years..
this definitely should have been touched on before, as it may have. where the hell is mario C? his absence was glaring on tt5b. i was recently listening to my ipod and put on artist shuffle-beasties. and i have a HUGE library of beasties music. every song i skipped was from tt5b. that album is stinking terrible(relative to previous beasties albums). it took me a minute to realize that they were all from tt5b. and it was definitely the music. the rhymes were nice, but the beats and arrangements were just downright stupid.
so is mario C going to be here to right the ship for the new album? where was he on tt5b?
Excuse me but... WTF!?
How can you say that beats like "Ch-Check It Out" or "Now Get busy" or..."hey F**** You!" and many more on that album are "downright stupid"!?
Do you read what you write or wa?
Anyway i think that anyone has a personal taste and we all are free to express it... i don't agree with yours

And When My GRL(ie) shakes her hips - She Sure Gets Funky

AdRock - Rhymin' and Stealin'

Old 03-04-2007, 05:46 AM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipstutter
Pretty unlikely. Mario and MCA had some pretty personal beef towards the end. I would reckon any details about that one would get deleted off the board, and be very dissapointing to their fans.
where did you hear that there was beef between mario and yauch? from an article or something? that's a shame if that's the case.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 AM
I'm a skorpio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff
where did you hear that there was beef between mario and yauch? from an article or something? that's a shame if that's the case.
I can0t even barely imagine Yauch havin' regret or fighitng Not now at leats... not for the person that he is (or seems)...

And When My GRL(ie) shakes her hips - She Sure Gets Funky

AdRock - Rhymin' and Stealin'

Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 PM

I don't think the riff was ever made public even though it's a poorly kept secret with people who know them. I will say it was a private matter which unfortunately filtered into their work. The BB's have hinted to that, when they said how much more efficient it was to work without having to argue over every detail. I don't know of any other public recognition as to why Mario isn't with them, but I will say, Adam, and the Beastie team probably wouldn't want the sticky details posted in this forum. As it is, this cryptic post might not last.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:23 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramanee
I would appreciate gossipy and inflammatory information about the band be kept private (i.e., off the board). Mr. Alias, you have no business talking shit about them here.

i wouldn't really consider that talking shit about them, nor do i think it was that gossipy. there was a misunderstanding between Yauch and Mario, that's all that was said, plain and simple. end of story. that was definitely not shit talking, though.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Hero

Quote:
Ignore the alias.

Last year I worked with an old friend of the Beastie Boys in Europe -- a producer. He knew I was a fan. I never asked him about them ever. (It's not professional.) One day he tried to tell me something about them. I had to stick my fingers in my ears and go "la-la-la-la-la."

I don't want to hear shit about them, even if it may be true. I don't need to know any of that. Neither does anyone else here.

I would appreciate gossipy and inflammatory information about the band be kept private (i.e., off the board). Mr. Alias, you have no business talking shit about them here.

I hope the admins delete this thread.

P.S. Mario produced Money Mark's new album.

P.S.S. To the Five Boroughs is an excellent album.
This is a fan site. We're not in the industry and don't have to act "professionally" here. We're here to discuss the band and if that includes gossip or juicy details about their work or careers, then so be it.

If that description doesn't fit you, that's fine. But, the rest of us don't have to be held up to those standards.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Hero

Quote:
I will say it was a private matter which unfortunately filtered into their work. The BB's have hinted to that, when they said how much more efficient it was to work without having to argue over every detail.
Those two sentences contradict each other.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 03-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Hate to shake up the glass menagerie but uh...I didn't post the gossip, or any of the details. I don't think I'm being inflammatory by suggesting that these people are human beings, and it might be healthier to accept that.

I simply responded to the question, with a very judicial human resources style explanation. I think fans deserve at least some indication why such an integral part of the groups recording process was not involved with TT5B or Oscilloscope Studios. It was partly creative due to technology, but mostly due to a personal dispute.

Sorry if that upsets some of you. I would bet it puts more then a few of you at ease to at least have an idea what's up.

edited because i typed "was" instead of "wasn't"

Last edited by blipstutter : 03-04-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Yeah, it is -- because the alias is implying something. If you don't get what it is he's implying, you're not reading clearly.
i don't quite understand what "blipstutter" implies, but maybe I'm just meat-headed. Someone throw me a rope here...

Old 03-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Here's a short excerpt from an interview Darron Burke did with Mario back in a 2002 issue of Tape Op magazine.

I didn't read any beef into it.

Darron-
Were you happy to be able to work with Beastie Boys over an extended period and be able to expand on every new record with the experience gained on the one before it?

Mario-
I worked with them for over ten years—there’s been a lot of good times. It was definitely a good run. I wish we had made more records. MCA is really into studying Buddhism a lot nowadays. He’s in India right now. Mike is running the label, Grand Royal. Adrock is doing BS 2000, the new record. He’s always making music, he stays focused on that. It’s him and Amery, the hardcore drummer, they recorded it themselves. It’s like beats with farfisa organ and voice. It’s good, you should check it out.

And here's the whole article for those who are interested.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Phone your mom or dad!

Quote:
Hate to shake up the glass menagerie but uh...I didn't post the gossip, or any of the details. I don't think I'm being inflammatory by suggesting that these people are human beings, and it might be healthier to accept that.

I simply responded to the question, with a very judicial human resources style explanation. I think fans deserve at least some indication why such an integral part of the groups recording process was not involved with TT5B or Oscilloscope Studios. It was partly creative due to technology, but mostly due to a personal dispute.

Sorry if that upsets some of you. I would bet it puts more then a few of you at ease to at least have an idea what's up.

edited because i typed "was" instead of "wasn't"
I don't think it upset very many people at all. This board is all abut gossip and speculation. Hell people gossip over all kinds of topics, even the most mundane things such as footwear choices lol.. As long as their personal family lives stay out of it, I say anything is fair game. Imagine a thread about how one of their children got suspended from school for fighting, or a member is going through a divorce.. that would be downright low.. no one should care to want to know any of those types of matters.. but as far as some insight toward the creative process of their work, that's interesting and will no doubt be part of a biography on the band many years from now. And no one should judge anybody from the band based on a little tidbit of information like that anyways, or just ignore someone's post like someone suggested.. that's some damn juicy stuff to have a REAL discussion about.. I hope this thread doesn't get deleted.. It will be a meaningful thread for people to say how they feel about it.. one that i will check most often..
For me I don't have too much of an opinion on the matter, because i obviously love the work Mario did with them, but I also love the work done without him, too. And of course I would like to see him work with them again.
But it's not fair to say no one should talk about any beef because we've all talked about beef with Simmons and the band, and why he didn't work with them afterwards.. I don't see a difference here, sorry Miramanee

I DON'T WEAR CROCS
AND I DON'T WEAR SANDLES
WITH THE SPIKY THINGS

Old 03-04-2007, 11:53 PM

thanks for that interview, l... that was a really good read. i agree.. it doesnt really matter to me what bullshit may or may not have come between them either.. it would be really great to hear/see them work together again..

\

ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
...has gone on atwixt, nay, afween the seams...

Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 AM
DANCE SUCKA!!!

Let's talk business!

Does Mario C make the beasties better? YES

Does Rick Rubin produce great music? YES

Does the Dust Brothers make great music? YES!

Fuck all this personal vandetta crap! If any of these individuals can make you better bring them in!

The beasties seem like really cool guys. I'm sure they can set aside any of their personal feelings if these guys can help you sell more records!

MONEY!

Good evening, I'm Chevy Chase and you're touching yourself
Exceptional Professional

Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Of course Mario has moved on and he's staying professional, that's just Mario's style. He's a class act. That TapeOp interview was done before it was published. He references Grand Royal, which was already defunct in 2001, and calls BS2000 new. Either way, he remains a part of the larger Beastie family, and continues to work with them on projects involving the back catalog.

On the flipside, I doubt you'll find any instances of MCA mentioning Mario C. by name since TT5B, in interviews, or the shout outs during performances (Adrock does them).

Those offended probably already know the dirt, and what a mess the incident made, in which case, of course their offended. I do agree that this is something people can discuss without breaching anybodies privacy.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Hero

Quote:
I do agree that this is something people can discuss without breaching anybodies privacy.
Then spill the fuckin' beans you cocktease!!!!!!!

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
I'm sure they can set aside any of their personal feelings if these guys can help you sell more records!

MONEY!
thats not what i meant

ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
...has gone on atwixt, nay, afween the seams...

Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 AM
DANCE SUCKA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b i o n i c
thats not what i meant
That wasnt directed at you.

I'm really not sure who it was directed at.......

Good evening, I'm Chevy Chase and you're touching yourself
Exceptional Professional

Old 03-05-2007, 03:51 AM
crazy sniffable

i'm sure it's being made a bigger deal than it really is. all this talk.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:06 PM

wow. thanks for the info. i honestly didn't have a clue why mario wasn't with them on tt5b. i thought maybe they both just decided to move on.....

adrock's production made it a very different album. not very organic sounding, not much variety(PLEASE BRING BACK THE INSTRUMENTS!!!!). i love BS2000 and i love the beats on hello nasty, so adrock can certainly drop a beat. but, to me, the beats seem sort of like they were thrown together on a mac over a long weekend.

sorry, but the bar was raised so high on check your head. mario did some great things. and maybe i am being an unadaptable a-hole that won't accept that this is not 1992.......
Old 03-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Hero

CYH is a great album, one of the best ever.

But, the hip hop beats are better on Ill Comm.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 AM

you're absolutely correct. cyh is my favorite album of all time. but, yes, ill comm does have the best hip hop beats
Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Silly Walker

Quote:
you're absolutely correct. cyh is my favorite album of all time. but, yes, ill comm does have the best hip hop beats
Like 'The Scoop' beat. Man, gotta love 'The Scoop' beat.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Exclamation Re: MARIO C???

Quote:
wow. thanks for the info. i honestly didn't have a clue why mario wasn't with them on tt5b. i thought maybe they both just decided to move on.....

adrock's production made it a very different album. not very organic sounding, not much variety(PLEASE BRING BACK THE INSTRUMENTS!!!!). i love BS2000 and i love the beats on hello nasty, so adrock can certainly drop a beat. but, to me, the beats seem sort of like they were thrown together on a mac over a long weekend.

sorry, but the bar was raised so high on check your head. mario did some great things. and maybe i am being an unadaptable a-hole that won't accept that this is not 1992.......
I'm sorry but I gotta agree with him. The beats sound very generic to say it politely. A lot of them sound similar to ones you could buy on websites from up and coming producers for $5 to $100. Maybe the bar was just set really high. I'm not a hater or something, just sharing my opinion. The Beastie Boys will always be my favorite band/rap group.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Phone your mom or dad!

who are you really abell 215? seems pretty fishy that a brand new member posts something, and ANOTHER brand new member replies to it right away, who seems to have inside information.. anyone with me on this????

I DON'T WEAR CROCS
AND I DON'T WEAR SANDLES
WITH THE SPIKY THINGS

Old 03-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan11
who are you really abell 215? seems pretty fishy that a brand new member posts something, and ANOTHER brand new member replies to it right away, who seems to have inside information.. anyone with me on this????
Hey I think I have a right to voice my opinion. I've been a fan for 15 years and I'm a DJ/big hip hop fan. Abell215 has a right too. The beats were a little boring and generic in my opinion. If that's your sort of thing, cool. I'm a big A Tribe Called Quest fan, but I think their last album "The Love Movement" had a lot of boring, repetitive beats also (even though the great J Dilla was partly responsible).