Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 PM

Default Last Yauch Public Appearance / Photo?

Does anyone know the last public event that Yauch was at?

There are pictures from a couple of film events around March 2011 (ie Jackass 3D premiere) http://beastieboysgallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=349

And there are reports that he appeared at Occupy Wall Street's march across the Brooklyn Bridge in November 2011 (but no pictures i have found) https://twitter.com/#!/OccupyWallSt/...70760757608450

Any other fan or press sightings or photos of MCA after March 2011?

Just curious that's all.

As an aside, like all of us, I am still so sad at the loss of MCA. Fan since 1986. Saw them live 3 times including epic show at Nassau Coliseum in May 1995.

We all knew that Yauch was quite ill and a few on this board had reported sightings of him in NYC walking with a cane (so sad) over the past year. The saddest new was the quote from his mom that his deterioration over the past month of his life was all so sudden.

As a doctor myself (although not an expert in head and neck cancers), I have to imagine that the type and stage of parotid cancer he had was particularly aggressive and so rare.

Lymph involvement at diagnosis was not a good sign - even way back in 2009. The beard he grew implied that he had a neck lymph node dissection in addition to the original surgery he had to remove the tumor.

Anyway - thank you for this great board and keeping MCA's memory alive. Sorry for the rambling post.

Rest in Power MCA
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Last Yauch Public Appearance / Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternmd View Post

There are pictures http://beastieboysgallery.com/

Rest in Power MCA
are you from rolling stone?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM

nope just a fan.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM

the last pic i remember seeing his him in between 2 people. his beard was pretty long...i think it was at a film festival.

thank you Adam.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
the last pic i remember seeing his him in between 2 people. his beard was pretty long...i think it was at a film festival.
Most recent last known is his Bard visit.....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

The rest of the Bard photos I never put in the gallery out of respect because they are gut wrenching. :/ This was the best shot of him from the batch.

The other one you mentioned was with Spike Jonze.

http://beastieboysgallery.com/displa...isplay_me dia

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Last edited by JoLovesMCA : 05-15-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM

Well, at least he looked even more as his uncle. Still, pretty sad to see those photos. :/
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
zonin talkin on the phone

wow 1986

Sending Love From Austin Texas , Forever in my thoughts! Space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
totally dude. it was my pleasure. today was so amazing for me, and i love my bbmb fam.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Hero

Seriously....fuck fucking cancer.

God dammit.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Welcome, sternmd. Thanks for your post. The more fans that post, the better. The only solace that I am finding is being on this board with fellow fans like yourself. That and the music.

"MCA, where have you been?"

In our hearts, and he always will be.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
the cowboy look with Sheryl Crow for the "Meek's Cutoff" premiere and the bearded pic with Rashida Jones, Seth Myers, and Justin Long for the "Monogamy" premiere are the ones you are probably speaking of, both March 2011.

they make we want to just reach out over time and space and give him a big hug. his eyes and side of mouth looked to have taken major nerve damage.

and as sternmd mentioned, the lymph nodes were bad news from the get go.

I'm so sad right now.

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 PM
You hear that fkn brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
Most recent last known is his Bard visit.....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

The rest of the Bard photos I never put in the gallery out of respect because they are gut wrenching. :/ This was the best shot of him from the batch.

The other one you mentioned was with Spike Jonze.

http://beastieboysgallery.com/displa...isplay_me dia
:'( Still such a beautiful man.

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternmd View Post

There are pictures from a couple of film events around March 2011 (ie Jackass 3D premiere) http://beastieboysgallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=349

And there are reports that he appeared at Occupy Wall Street's march across the Brooklyn Bridge in November 2011 (but no pictures i have found) https://twitter.com/#!/OccupyWallSt/...70760757608450

Any other fan or press sightings or photos of MCA after March 2011?

Just curious that's all.

As an aside, like all of us, I am still so sad at the loss of MCA. Fan since 1986. Saw them live 3 times including epic show at Nassau Coliseum in May 1995.

We all knew that Yauch was quite ill and a few on this board had reported sightings of him in NYC walking with a cane (so sad) over the past year. The saddest new was the quote from his mom that his deterioration over the past month of his life was all so sudden.

As a doctor myself (although not an expert in head and neck cancers), I have to imagine that the type and stage of parotid cancer he had was particularly aggressive and so rare.

Lymph involvement at diagnosis was not a good sign - even way back in 2009. The beard he grew implied that he had a neck lymph node dissection in addition to the original surgery he had to remove the tumor.

Anyway - thank you for this great board and keeping MCA's memory alive. Sorry for the rambling post.

Rest in Power MCA
Welcome, and don't apologise.

While it's a little morbid, I too have been trying to piece it together in my head. So far a number of posters have claimed that certain shots are all from March 2011.

I always thought the Spike Jonze photo was in May 2011, and the Rashida group shot with the cowboy hat (Michelle Williams is in one?) came after that one; both being after the release of HSC2?

And so the Jackass premier may have been around the time the final edits for FFYRR were done and the album was about to launch.

The difference between these two periods is startling, and yeah in hindsight point to some heavy, troubling shit.

So sad, to think of what he must have gone through. And by all accounts he faced it bravely and with hope.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Basic As Fuck.

that are some heavy heart pictures there

-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gus
The friendship ended when I wiped my arse on his pillow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres Zount
I don't really love you! Lyman zerga is on my ignore list, but you don't deserve it, you swine!
-------------------------------------

Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Mike D is a legend.

If you go on Flickr, you can find some more photos of Yauch there. In late March, he attended an after party for something called "Meek's Cutoff." Also, on May 2, 2011 (almost a year to the day of his death) in Los Angeles, there was a premiere party for "Fight For Your Right (Revisted)", in which all three guys got up on stage and said some words into the mic. Yauch didn't look well. He also had a bandage on the left side of his neck. He must have had to have another surgery, or maybe it was just from radiation treatments. Here's a link to one of the photos. I think this was the last time all three of them were together publicly. You can look around Flickr for more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellofl...57627070500425

...one might say that the Beastie Boy "Fight for Your Right to Party" guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.
-Adam Horovitz

Last edited by birdfloatindown : 05-16-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Current Member

It's all really harsh. Can't imagine how harsh to go through and to witness first hand. Damn.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdfloatindown View Post
wow...

thank you Adam.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM

The FFYR I saw all of those when they came out. We posted I think one here but nobody paid much attention. I hinted at various times my worry even then but was called cooky and crazy. :/

Meeks Cutoff was March 2011

http://beastieboysgallery.com/index.php?cat=85&page=2

and this other screening was earlier that month.

http://beastieboysgallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=404

Bless him he was determined to stay out and do what he loved for as long as he possibly could.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Current Member

I never thought you were crazy, Jo. I just tried to help you stay optimistic about it.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
I never thought you were crazy, Jo. I just tried to help you stay optimistic about it.
NO I know you're right. No need to have everybody feeling like the situation was doomed or this place really would have been a big downer to go to. It wasn't just people here. I did have others elsewhere tell me to chill and that it would all work out in the end. How I wish they had been right and I had been wrong. If I could be picked on and ratted on and abused daily here I'd take it all just to have him back. I really did try and be optimistic but it never lasted for very long. :/

Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Hero

Quote:
NO I know you're right. No need to have everybody feeling like the situation was doomed or this place really would have been a big downer to go to. It wasn't just people here. I did have others elsewhere tell me to chill and that it would all work out in the end. How I wish they had been right and I had been wrong. If I could be picked on and ratted on and abused daily here I'd take it all just to have him back. I really did try and be optimistic but it never lasted for very long. :/
You ain't the only one....$!@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen it first hand with my grandfather....who coincidentally died 4 years ago TODAY. Seeing someone you know go from strong and full of life and have them reduced to nothing is a terrible thing. Obviously, it wasn't hard to see in the photos.

I never want my sons to go through seeing me or their mother like that, but it seems inevitable. Mr. Sunshine......I know.

Celebrate life while it's here people. That's all you can do I guess.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

Fuck...his mouth...half his face would have been paralyzed for the rest of his life regardless...

We Love You MCA!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Current Member

I think people recover from that part.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM

They do recover. Most people do. I read so much about his cancer. He had stage three at the time of diagnosis and the survival rate is only 65%. As the doctor here stated, it wasn't a good sign that it had spread to a local lymph node. Yauch seemed so positive that it was treatable so I guess the doctors were way off on his case. I know cancer is unpredictable though so I am not blaming the doctors but still. it hurts.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Mike D is a legend.

Quote:
They do recover. Most people do. I read so much about his cancer. He had stage three at the time of diagnosis and the survival rate is only 65%. As the doctor here stated, it wasn't a good sign that it had spread to a local lymph node. Yauch seemed so positive that it was treatable so I guess the doctors were way off on his case. I know cancer is unpredictable though so I am not blaming the doctors but still. it hurts.
Wow, I didn't know it was stage three. He made it sound like it was a slam dunk that he was going to beat it. I guess maybe that's what he had to do, in order to keep going, and also, so that he wouldn't worry everybody.

Damn, it also makes me think back to all those years that his voice was scratchy, in particular, during the "To The 5 Boroughs" era. I remember people, back in 2004, questioning why Yauch's voice was like that. Maybe if he'd gone to the doctor sooner, the cancer wouldn't have been so advanced.

...one might say that the Beastie Boy "Fight for Your Right to Party" guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.
-Adam Horovitz

Last edited by birdfloatindown : 05-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Current Member

Yep it scares me too, the unpredictability.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 AM
NYC Brouhaha Division

the recovery from the facial paralysis is a slow one, 5 to 10 years usually. included is slurred speech and a droopy mouth and eyelid due to the (parotid) tumor being directly intertwined in the facial nerve. the lymph node diagnosis meant that the cancer invaded his blood cells and likely spread to different lymph nodes, and ultimately, organs

i have already stated this, but every time I look at a photo from, say, 2007 to 2009, I want to hop in the delorean and tell him to check it out. there are even some photos in '08/'09 where his face is starting to look asymmetrical.
sorry for the morbid posts but it's one way for me to cope like KP said.

for me, deep down, I was prepared for the beastie boys never to be a performing band again. in my perfect world, Adam would record on his own timeline (which is what they did anyway), playing bass and producing new music, and in very tedious takes they would lay down his vocals when the time was right.

I was never prepared for what happened in April/May 2012.

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Last edited by YoungRemy : 05-16-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Current Member

Quote:

Damn, it also makes me think back to all those years that his voice was scratchy, in particular, during the "To The 5 Boroughs" era. I remember people, back in 2004, questioning why Yauch's voice was like that. Maybe if he'd gone to the doctor sooner, the cancer wouldn't have been so advanced.
Nah.

EDIT: Sorry, not to be rude; I don't know that you can say his voice was linked to anything at all. And yeah bargaining is common in grief....I was just listening to some of the commentaries from the 2009 reuissues, thinking 'Man, March 2009, if he'd just broken a toe or something' and had to go to a doctor. It is what it is, unfortunately.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 05-16-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 PM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

Yeah, I would just attribute that to getting older. All their voices changed in between albums.

Oh fuck, I just remembered something: Adrock's a smoker.

Those anti-smoking commercials have been freaking me out lately.

We Love You MCA!

Last edited by M.C. Guevera : 05-16-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Mike D is a legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Nah.

EDIT: Sorry, not to be rude; I don't know that you can say his voice was linked to anything at all. And yeah bargaining is common in grief....I was just listening to some of the commentaries from the 2009 reuissues, thinking 'Man, March 2009, if he'd just broken a toe or something' and had to go to a doctor. It is what it is, unfortunately.
No, it's cool, I know what you mean. I was just thinking that since it was stage 3, apparently, then he had to have had it for quite awhile. It's all moot now.

-Adam Horovitz

Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
WACK! JACKED! BACK! RIDE!

Quote:
If you go on Flickr, you can find some more photos of Yauch there. In late March, he attended an after party for something called "Meek's Cutoff." Also, on May 2, 2011 (almost a year to the day of his death) in Los Angeles, there was a premiere party for "Fight For Your Right (Revisted)", in which all three guys got up on stage and said some words into the mic. Yauch didn't look well. He also had a bandage on the left side of his neck. He must have had to have another surgery, or maybe it was just from radiation treatments. Here's a link to one of the photos. I think this was the last time all three of them were together publicly. You can look around Flickr for more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellofl...57627070500425
I know I should feel sad looking at this picture (with a fatigued Yauch, and seemingly the last public image of the Beastie Boys)...but it brings a smile to my face. Brothers to the end.