Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Super B-Boys Nerds needed!

Hello party people (once again)

My name is Big Dan and I am putting together a complete list of every single official Beastie track along with a matching playlist of mp3 files. This is the second post and there will be more...

After much research, I believe there are eight specific tracks in the discography with different names, but they're actually the same exact track -- and there isn't any notation of this on beastiemania.com

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I have found:

1. She's On It (Video Mix) = She's On It (Extended Mix)

2. The New Style (standard album cut) = The New Style (Extended Version)

3. Get It Together (A.B.A. Remix) = Get It Together (Beastie Boys Remix)

4. Sure Shot (European B-Boy Mix) = Sure Shot (Prunes Mix)

5. The Negotiation Limerick File (The 41 Small Star Remix) = The Negotiation Limerick File (Adam H. Remix)

6. Putting Shame in Your Game (Prunes Remix) = Putting Shame in Your Game (Prunes RMX 2)

7. Intergalactic (Prisoners of Technology Remix) = Intergalactic (Prisoners of Technology / TMS 1 Re-mix)

8. An Open Letter to NYC (Radio Edit) = An Open Letter to NYC (Andy Wallace Mix Radio Edit)

I too am a super B-Boys nerd, so please do not take offense of my subject line!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Arrow Re: Super B-Boys Nerds needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan2276 View Post

My name is Big Dan and I am putting together a complete list of every single official Beastie track along with a matching playlist of mp3 files. This is the second post and there will be more...

After much research, I believe there are eight specific tracks in the discography with different names, but they're actually the same exact track -- and there isn't any notation of this on beastiemania.com

5. The Negotiation Limerick File (The 41 Small Star Remix) = The Negotiation Limerick File (Adam H. Remix)

6. Putting Shame in Your Game (Prunes Remix) = Putting Shame in Your Game (Prunes RMX 2)

7. Intergalactic (Prisoners of Technology Remix) = Intergalactic (Prisoners of Technology / TMS 1 Re-mix)

8. An Open Letter to NYC (Radio Edit) = An Open Letter to NYC (Andy Wallace Mix Radio Edit)

This is one of the areas of Beastiemania that could use some more data. There are also cases where the track names are the same, but the actual track is different. For example, the single version of Paul Revere has a slightly different ending than the album version.

Or, if you buy the CD single for Get it Together (DPRO 79359), there is a censored version of the track that's different than all of the other censored versions (instead of just silencing/reversing the cussing, it has sound effects added in the silenced spots)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Phone your mom or dad!

Default Re: Super B-Boys Nerds needed!

I think I have all of those and I'll give them a listen when I get the chance. What was the total number of tracks you came up with anyway? Are you counting non-song tracks as well?

I DON'T WEAR CROCS
AND I DON'T WEAR SANDLES
I GOT THE CUSTOM MADE BOOTS
WITH THE SPIKY THINGS

Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM

I'm at 332 official songs and that doesn't include any instrumentals, acapellas, clean versions or side projects (well that's not entirely true - I couldn't skip over "Drum Machine" and there's two instrumentals from "In Sound").

I would love to compare notes and or lists!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Hi Dan. I've been working on this same type project for about 15 years. I started out the same way you did with MP3 files and later switched to WAV files. I am in the process of moving now, so I don't have the information at my fingertips, but I have what I believe to be the most complete list in existence. If you want to discuss, the pitfalls to look out for / how to keep your files organised / how to research / etc... PM me.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Music est. 1986

I noticed the 45 promo of Hey Ladies is a bit different then the other versions I've listed to.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM

I noticed this too on a CD single of Hey Ladies/So What'cha Want (the "Single Servings" CD single). There's literally one "hey" added between the lines "Took of her moccasins, put on a bib /HEY!/ Wheelin and dealin'..."

Also, I'm assuming you've already got the two "B-Boys Makin with the Freak Freak" versions (the "normal" one and the one from the 33 with the French answering machine message opening.)

Sorry if this is all redundant. I know you're looking for songs with different names that are in fact the same, not songs with the same name that are different. This level of Beastie Boys specificity just suddenly brought back lots of memories of finding all these weird little quirks in the music when I was a kid.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I noticed this too on a CD single of Hey Ladies/So What'cha Want (the "Single Servings" CD single). There's literally one "hey" added between the lines "Took of her moccasins, put on a bib /HEY!/ Wheelin and dealin'..."
Ha, that's the version used in the video. Never heard it anywhere else.

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA

Old 04-17-2014, 12:42 PM

tuc70021 - There is no need to be sorry! And I don't think any of this is redundant. Matter of fact, these little details/differences are the exact kind of thing I want to be discussing AND one of the main reasons I started putting together the complete list of official releases.

I started with the 8 item 'different name / same song' post simply because I figured that would be an easy place to begin. Eliminate the repeats right away and move on.

I am aware of the cool and different "Get It Together (Censored)" version along with the "French Hello" -- but I did NOT know about the single version of "Paul Revere"!!! I will check the archives posthaste! Thank you Sir SkratchaLot! Again, this type of extra info is exactly what I'm hoping to learn about.

Lastly, there's soooo much more to the "Hey Ladies (Video Version)" track: In addition to the extra "hey", there's an 'underwater" effect between 1:34 and 1:43, and a dope Deep Purple "Hush" sample at 2:07 that runs for about 16 seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if there were even more differences!

Last edited by bigdan2276 : 04-17-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Bernard Goetz: I didn't remember that until you mentioned it. But yeah, they do have that extra "Hey" in the music video.

I didn't realize how many sound effects were added to the Hey Ladies video until I went back and watched it just now. Like BigDan said, there's the Deep Purple, the underwater sound, then there's also the karate bricks being smashed, the ""I like that polyester look" announcement in the disco, and Adrock telling that girl he'd like to do her hair some time. They almost never talk over their tracks in their music videos. Neat!

This single version I have only has the extra "Hey," none of the other video stuff. I'll rip it next time I'm back home where all my stuff is.

Good luck with the project BigDan!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 AM

If you have the original singles and EPs it's always good to compare those to the album versions.

I remember when In Sound From Way Out first came out on the promo yellow vinyl in 1994, it did not have the vocals stripped out of some tracks like the non-promo version that came out in 1996. It also didn't have "Lighten Up" which appears in purely instrumental form on the 1996 version. If I remember right the 1994 version just has the album versions, and they stripped some vocals on the 1996 version.

Another thing to check for on the Paul's Boutique singles is the begining and ends of tracks. On the album some of the tracks bleed into each other, and if I remembe right, they don't do that on the singles. Like in Shake your Rump I think there is no wind sound comming in from Johnny Ryal. This type of thing is pretty common with all groups, where the single versions have slightly different intros or outtros.

Also, also, some of the singles have "skits" or mini songs that don't show up on the track listings. The Pass the Mic EP being a good example of that. Mike D does the "Big Mac" hardcore song on there. Then there's, "I'ma join you with one in about 5 minutes" sketch and the outro with the announce and the drum beat.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Basketball Jones

Big Mac hardcore song? How have I missed this? I can't find it online. Is there a link someone would be willing to share? Come-on, now.

I have to return some video tapes.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 PM

This is becoming a bit too addictive....

But anyway, if I remember correctly, the "Dub The Mic" that appeared on the "Pass The Mic EP" was much longer than the "Dub The Mic" that appeared on "The Sounds of Science" anthology. They cropped out a good chunk on the anthology for some reason.

Also, per Sir Skratchalot's suggestions, there's also the "that's insane.... ya stupid. Heh?" secret bonus "track" at the end of the Netty's Girl (after a big ass period of silence) on the Pass The Mic EP. It's the same sample used on Mark on the Bus, but just a shorter version. I guess this could technically be considered a different version of Netty's Girl from the Anthology or the video version since the little secret bonus track is technically part of the Netty's Girl track on the EP.

Nuance, yo.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:25 AM

Just putting this out there...does anyone have a good quality mp3 of the So What'cha Want video version - I've kinda developed a fondness for that additional refrain on break.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Phone your mom or dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
Just putting this out there...does anyone have a good quality mp3 of the So What'cha Want video version - I've kinda developed a fondness for that additional refrain on break.
I'm sorry I don't have access right now but a lot of people have high quality MP3's ripped from the Criterion DVD.

I DON'T WEAR CROCS
AND I DON'T WEAR SANDLES
I GOT THE CUSTOM MADE BOOTS
WITH THE SPIKY THINGS

Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Big Mac hardcore song? How have I missed this? I can't find it online. Is there a link someone would be willing to share? Come-on, now.
Pick up the Pass the Mic CD single (C2 15827). There's a bunch of shit on there that's not on the ablum or compilations.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 AM
CANADA'S BIGGEST BBOY FAN

Im surprised no one has mentioned anything about how in certain regions Hello Nasty's one track was titled "Can't, Won't and Don't Stop" which was actually "The Grasshopper Unit (Keep Movin')"....

cant remember the reason behind that change.

http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/

Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 AM

... I always figured it was to with the sample clearance (as in the sampled hook on The Grasshopper Unit). The Hello Nasty reissue was quite a surprise to me when that scratched up Beastie chorus came in! Also I think this thread is only mentioning particular oddities, I would imagine stuff like this above must already be in the fella's list.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
Im surprised no one has mentioned anything about how in certain regions Hello Nasty's one track was titled "Can't, Won't and Don't Stop" which was actually "The Grasshopper Unit (Keep Movin')"....

cant remember the reason behind that change.
It was because the Freestylers used the same sample for the hook in "Don't Stop" which came out the same year. It was a sizable hit for the UK. So, the Beasties at last minute the swapped out the sample.

Mike D explained why the swap in URB magazine (I think? Could of been another mag.) when they were doing press for Hello Nasty.

Last edited by Micodin : 04-25-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan2276 View Post

You are correct on all counts with the possible exception of #6. When syncing the two tracks one is slightly longer than the other, but that could be because I recorded off of vinyl. If there is any difference it may be that the ending is slightly longer.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 PM

You are correct on the Prunes track as well...
Prunes Remix 2 from the custom anthology
Prunes Remix from the NLF Australia CD5
Prunes RMX 2 from the Blow Up Factor Vol. 1 12"

are all the same track.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:28 PM

Correction on #7. The Prisoners Of Technology Remix from the Japan CD has over a full minute more audio at the end than the Prisoners Of Technology TMS-1 Re-mix found on the US Intergalactic acetate.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:51 PM

And on a side note for #8 there is a 3rd version of this with another name "Radio A. Walace Mix" from the AOLTNYC UK CD which is also the same.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Mr.Doris tha Funk-A-Suars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
The Pass the Mic EP being a good example of that. Mike D does the "Big Mac" hardcore song on there. Then there's, "I'ma join you with one in about 5 minutes" sketch and the outro with the announce and the drum beat.
Which version has that 'Big Mac' song? I wanted to hear it so much, I went out and bought this one

Information: Pass The Mic CD5 : UK [CDCL 653] Media:
Format: CD5 in Slimline Jewel Case
Catalogue No.: CDCL 653
Year: 1992
Label: Grand Royal / Capitol Records

Tracks:
1. Pass the Mic
2. Netty's Girl
3. Something's Got to Give
4. Pass the Mic (Pt.2, Skills to Pay the Bills)

Which didn't have the song

http://www.beastiemania.com/discog/show.php?r=pass12uspromo,pass12us,pass12uketched,p ass12nl,pass12it,passcduspromo,passcduspromo2,pass cdus,passcduk,passcdnl,passmcus,passmcuk

Go download my Beastie Boys remixes
Peace, MCScoobyT

http://beastiemixes.com/remixer.php?id=69

Old 05-09-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCScoobyT View Post
Which version has that 'Big Mac' song? I wanted to hear it so much, I went out and bought this one

Information: Pass The Mic CD5 : UK [CDCL 653] Media:
Format: CD5 in Slimline Jewel Case
Catalogue No.: CDCL 653
Year: 1992
Label: Grand Royal / Capitol Records

Tracks:
1. Pass the Mic
2. Netty's Girl
3. Something's Got to Give
4. Pass the Mic (Pt.2, Skills to Pay the Bills)

Which didn't have the song

http://www.beastiemania.com/discog/show.php?r=pass12uspromo,pass12us,pass12uketched,p ass12nl,pass12it,passcduspromo,passcduspromo2,pass cdus,passcduk,passcdnl,passmcus,passmcuk
Quote:
Pick up the Pass the Mic CD single (C2 15827). There's a bunch of shit on there that's not on the ablum or compilations.
It's C2 15827 This is the U.S. general release of the single on Capital/Grand Royal. Comes in a regular jewel case with full artwork. For some reason Europe tended to get robbed on their singles/EPs from that era (at least with the Beasties anyway).
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 PM
lay some treats on us

Lightbulb Re: Super B-Boys Nerds needed!

The 'Big Mac' song is not much of a song. You hear "Yesterday I went to McDonald's and I had" and then the song is literally 5 seconds. That's it.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:59 PM

"Do it again!"

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA

Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz View Post
"Do it again!"
Haha. When you're good, you only need about 5 seconds for hardcore song.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
This is one of the areas of Beastiemania that could use some more data. There are also cases where the track names are the same, but the actual track is different. For example, the single version of Paul Revere has a slightly different ending than the album version.

Or, if you buy the CD single for Get it Together (DPRO 79359), there is a censored version of the track that's different than all of the other censored versions (instead of just silencing/reversing the cussing, it has sound effects added in the silenced spots)
Sir SkratchaLot has made an excellent point!

In an attempt to resolve some of the questions in this thread I’ve started to research the tracks mentioned. The attempts to answer those questions are really just that… attempts. My approach when I first started trying to catalog every official recording started with the way tracks were listed on beastiemania. I would go to the song spotlight, click on the main track and then scroll down to “Released Versions” in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. For example, if the root track was Get It Together, I would find it in the song spotlight, and then begin researching all released versions. Again, following the previous example, clicking on Get It Together Clean Version led me to all recordings that had a track listed on beastiemania as Get It Together Clean. From that point I would pull each of those recordings from my collection and look at the how the track was named on the actual vinyl/cd. If the title on the actual physical copy was different I would record the track using the song title which was actually on the vinyl/cd. In this example, the first release listed on the site with the title as Get It Together Clean version happened to be a promo US 12”. On the actual 12” itself the track is listed as Get It Together (LP Version Clean) so I would record it and catalog it as such. I would then proceed to doing the same for each of the other 13 releases listed. I don’t collect cassettes, so I couldn’t get recordings from 2 of the 13 releases.
This is the best approach I could think of toward tackling such a massive amount of information. As the tracks were recorded I kept each of the tracks recorded organized by original song title and source to eliminate confusion in the future about which recording came from what release. Although I did not compare each individual track to every other individual track and then take notes on which tracks were identical, I DID organize them is such a way as to be able to pull them up at a later date and compare them with one another.
So to your point, beastiemania could definitely use more data in this regard (although I kindly submit that renaming, relinking, and overhauling the site to do so is beyond impractical for a nonprofit information site), but I think that progress can still be made. I know that I have been extremely thorough in cataloging tracks with different names. In some cases I’ve actually listened to every track such as in the case of the GIT clean version because there have been questions, but only in rare instances. The next task would be to attack actual recordings with the same name, but different audio. I’m open to any way of approaching this systematically. Unfortunately, considering there are a couple of thousand releases, comparing each version from each release where the track has the same title is not a task I would be willing to undertake. Anyone who attempts to do so has my full support and cooperation.
That is why I love this thread so much. The only way to continue to identify these differences for me is by posing, and subsequently answering these questions one by one.
So for anyone still interested….
The US promo 12” with the track listed as Get It Together (LP Version Clean) on the vinyl label has the cursing deleted.
The US In Store Play Clean CD with the track listed as Get It Together has the original curses reversed or otherwise switched up with the original vocal. Interesting side note here is that the edits included censoring the words “but”, “dust”, “funky”, “bonin” and “crack”, while missing words like “Jism” , “shit” and “n****r”.
The US Promo CD listed as Clean Version has sound effects in place of the curses. Moan, Cuckoo Clock, Growl, Moan, Cow, Bowling Pins, Cuckoo Clock, Laugh, Cow, Moan, Man saying Oh Boy, Man saying Oh Boy, Record Scratch, Moan, Bird Call.

To the best of my knowledge that is the complete breakdown of unique Get It Together Clean Versions.

I'll try to address the other questions as they come up. I'm particularly interested in the singles versus album versions, and the In Sound differences.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 06-23-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 AM

I love this stuff.

I agree that you wouldn't want to recatororize anything. Aside from the work, it would probably be confusing to most people.

My thought would be to have the album version be the "definitive version" (unless, the album version differs depending on the Country in which case there would be multiple definitive versions). Or you could have the U.S. album version be considered the "definitive" since its the Beastie's home Country.

To the extent a single/EP/compilation/video version is different than the album version, it could be listed in the notes under that particular single/EP/compilation/video, with an explanation as to how it differs.

I don't know about others, but the main reason I started buying singles back in the early 90s was to get the stuff that wasn't on the album. Many of the singles that don't offer anything new, I skipped over. So, I've primarily looked for new audio content instead of trying to track down every release, regardless of whether it has new audio content or not.

When I started DJing in 1995 or so I began picking up singles a different reason. They have instrumentals and superior sound and tracking (less skipping while rocking doubles) vs the album version. It was at that time that I started noticing the beginings and ends of tracks are sometimes different on the singles. You might not notice the wind overlap from Johnny Ryall bleeding into the end of Shake your Rump when you listen to the album, but when you're mixing you want those intros and outros to be clean, and the records are made specifcially for that. So you might get a little bit cleaner intro or outro, or a little bit longer on the single (sometimes substantially longer although I can't think of any example a Beasties single doing that).

Anyway, since I'm always looking for any little tidbit that's not on the album, some type of asterix to say "hey buy this becuase it's got something new (as far as audio is concerned)" is what I'd be looking for.