PDA

View Full Version : I'm learning prejudice

Nuzzolese
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm becoming prejudiced against a certain ethnic group becuase all my encounters with them have been annoying. It's becoming a learned response that I get annoyed at the sight of their unique style, language, and appearance that makes them stand out in my encounters with everybody else. It's too bad. This is a problem. People come to a country and cultures clash and people get annoyed and it turns into this big division. Cultures don't integrate, people want to maintain their lifestyles the way they've been doing it for years, and when someone does something different it's unsettling to both parties. Does anyone else experience this - this self awareness of becoming prejudiced through frustrating encounters with a group of people you see every day? My encounters are with people who have just come to this country and are persistent and pushy, just because of their situation and my position and it's nobody's fault but it's getting to me and I'm becoming biased towards anyone of this ethnic group.

ET
09-12-2006, 01:42 PM
You prolly just in the wrong hood, is all. I'm surrounded by rednecks but not all rednecks are the same. It makes me want to yell out a good old "fucking rednecks!" but I wouldn't want the honest, wholesome rednecks to be offended.

If you're talking about mexicans just go ahead and say it. :)

kate
09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
you know who i ate? those fucking asian bastards. they loooooove them some costco. and like 18 will come in and use one membership card and ask for 40 different orders of about 30 jumbo-sized pill bottles each, and they make me fit them in bags but we only have meat bags which fit about 3 bottles each, and if i dare mix the orders theyll start screaming their AW NING NAH KUWAH shit at me and i walk away so i dont punch one of them and get in trouble anyway for providing bad member service. fuck them!

ET
09-12-2006, 01:44 PM
It's all good. We're going to end up nuking them again in a couple of years. :eek:

kate
09-12-2006, 01:45 PM
argh, i typed ate and i meant hate. i hate asians. i would probably eat one though. mmm now i want chinese food

abcdefz
09-12-2006, 01:49 PM
The Vietnamese folks at the Vietnamese grocery on my block sometimes drive me nuts. NO concept of communal space. they'll walk in and park their cart RIGHT in the way so you can't get past. They'll park their carts anywhere else, too, and if it blocks off an aisle, so be it. They're also big on pushing their cart into the checkout lane, then going off and shopping some more. Often, a child will be in the cart's child seat as a bookmarker of sorts, I guess.

On the plus side, the Vietnamese women running the registers will often just open up a lane and wave me over to ring me up quickly and not make me wait; that part is cool.

Dr Deaf
09-12-2006, 01:57 PM
you know who i ate? those fucking asian bastards. they loooooove them some costco. and like 18 will come in and use one membership card and ask for 40 different orders of about 30 jumbo-sized pill bottles each, and they make me fit them in bags but we only have meat bags which fit about 3 bottles each, and if i dare mix the orders theyll start screaming their AW NING NAH KUWAH shit at me and i walk away so i dont punch one of them and get in trouble anyway for providing bad member service. fuck them!

orange juice and gasoline should cure what ails ye.

nuzz: i can relate to your situation. every since i arrived in america i feel a whole lot less... [____________] with a particular group of people.

Nuzzolese
09-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys! This is a great support group. You know, when it starts with the legitimately annoying behavior, something that is behaviorally different, then it spreads (the hate I mean) to the trivial things like being annoyed at their clothes and accents and everything else.

HotAndWet
09-12-2006, 02:15 PM
(n) Actually I've been feeling the same way....
This certain group of people were illegally hired at places I've worked at before and all they did was sexually harass the women. I'd say about 90% of the people I've met from that group have acted the same way.

mickill
09-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Is it the Arabs? It's the Arabs, isn't it?

Dr Deaf
09-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking arabs are EXTRA friendly and polite these days due to the american people thinking they're all jihadists.

not that having good manners is really an american thing.

HotAndWet
09-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Is it the Arabs? It's the Arabs, isn't it?

Actually no, we don't have many Arabs in my area.......it's the DUTCH! :confused:

mickill
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
What's the difference, really? The Dutch wear wooden shoes, Arabs wear Hush Puppies...other than that, they're pretty much all the same to me.

Dr Deaf
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Actually no, we don't have many Arabs in my area.......it's the DUTCH! :confused:

hahaah. they tip like shit, right?

my old neighbour was dutch. he told me this gem:

why do dutch people have such long ears and receding hair lines.

oh shit it's a visual kind of joke.

/end post

Bob
09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm becoming prejudiced against a certain ethnic group becuase all my encounters with them have been annoying. It's becoming a learned response that I get annoyed at the sight of their unique style, language, and appearance that makes them stand out in my encounters with everybody else. It's too bad. This is a problem. People come to a country and cultures clash and people get annoyed and it turns into this big division. Cultures don't integrate, people want to maintain their lifestyles the way they've been doing it for years, and when someone does something different it's unsettling to both parties. Does anyone else experience this - this self awareness of becoming prejudiced through frustrating encounters with a group of people you see every day? My encounters are with people who have just come to this country and are persistent and pushy, just because of their situation and my position and it's nobody's fault but it's getting to me and I'm becoming biased towards anyone of this ethnic group.

i hate when that happens. to be honest it's happened/happening to me too. and i fucking notice it's happening and i go "you racist bastard, i can't believe you just thought that", but i can't help it, it keeps happening. it makes me kinda sick with myself when i do it, but it happens anyway, the same way you described.

it's more of a problem with me finding things annoying than with people doing annoying things, of course, but i am who i am.

Nuzzolese
09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah! Except that I don't even feel guilty about it anymore. I just recognize it as a problem and I blame society's ills. I blame anyone else, really.

Nuzzolese
09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
It's not what color you are, it's how your pants fit and how you conduct yourself at the grocery store.

Bob
09-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah! Except that I don't even feel guilty about it anymore. I just recognize it as a problem and I blame society's ills. I blame anyone else, really.

you racist bastard!

the only redeeming factor i find in myself about the whole thing is that at least i feel bad about thinking racist stuff. and at least i don't go "oh well it's not racist because"

no it's racist, we're all pretty racist i think

mickill
09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
I kinda feel a little deep passionate hatred towards a lot of different ethnic groups at times, including my own. For all sorts of different reasons. Not that it justifies being slightly racist, but I don't particularly favor any one group of people, anyhow. And I don't try to convince other people that it's right. But in the end, yes, I get annoyed because such and such group of people do whatever whatever a lot. Sometimes.

cosmo105
09-12-2006, 04:20 PM
i find myself in the same boat what with the major ethnic group in the city in which i reside. i've had pretty much nothing but negative encounters...see: the night those assholes shouted things at me in my car. i've never been one to stereotype, but lately it's hard not to :\

mickill
09-12-2006, 04:23 PM
So you just think that all assholes are horrible people now?

TurdBerglar
09-12-2006, 04:24 PM
i've noticed it's not the race it's the class. there's like different types of foreigners that i've encountered. the educated types and the types that lived in a villiage their whole life. i can't stand those villiage assholes. they're pretty much all the same from race to race. very loud, angry, inconsiderate, pushy, ignorant, and funky as hell. the one thing that pisses me off the most is the ability to just be in a way. they just don't seem to understand the concept of being in a rush. or they seem to think public areas are their's and if you don't like it go find your own area. naked children running around in the water play area of the park... fucking morons. get told that their children can't be naked and the pull the prejudice card. PUT SOME FUKING CLOTHES ON YOUR KID.

icy manipulator
09-12-2006, 04:25 PM
i hate irish ppl. Well, just the accent, they're impossible to understand

mickill
09-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, that's understandable. We're only meant to tolerate so much.

icy manipulator
09-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Well, that's understandable. We're only meant to tolerate so much.
ppl always find it strange when a guy named Patrick Kieran says he hates irish accents. it's like a toned down version of a black neo nazi:p

Bob
09-12-2006, 04:34 PM
So you just think that all assholes are horrible people now?

what the hell, cosmo? i'm half asshole on my mother's side, we're people too

cosmo105
09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
look, i'm not saying that ALL assholes are bad people, i'm just saying that i've had negative experiences with the assholes i've encountered, but i'm not going to let that dictate the way i view the entire Asshole race. i feel terrible for what i've said.

ericlee
09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
while I was working in the armsroom, I've noticed that there was a certain group of people who didn't have thier stuff squared away and I hate myself for noticing it but it's true.

This certain group of people were the ones who had the highest rate of pointing weapons at me when turning them in. One of them still had a round in the chamber when they gave their weapon to my coworker and my coworker slammed the bolt foward and the gun went off and a round went into the ceiling. It's also my coworker's fault for not looking in the chamber to make sure it's clear.

Also, I've noticed that they have the highest rate of not remembering their seriel number of their weapon, which is very important.

There's other ethnic groups that I work with who do the same thing, as a matter of fact, all ethnic groups that I've worked with do the same things but not as often as one in particular.

Why do I have to notice this? It really irratates me because this whole, "back in the hood" attitude will cause serious injury or death at my old job.

fucktopgirl
09-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I dont ressent hatred towards immigrants/ethnic groups . I get annoyed by morons so it could be anybody in any ethnics groups.

The ones kind of MORON that i hated the most , if i have to pick, would be the freaking rednecks; the KKK. Thoses assholes are just pure stupidity and make me vomit.

Pres Zount
09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
All the Sudanese refugees in Tasmania are all rich as fuck and they dress gangsta.

Theri jeans are way down their legs, but at least they wont stab you for a ciggarette like the white bogan scum that infest this city.

All our ethnics are pretty normal, we must have the good ones or something.

or perhaps just not large enough numbers so that you start noticing the arseholes by race.

roosta
09-12-2006, 06:26 PM

if i knew what nationality you were id make fun of your accent

Bob
09-12-2006, 06:29 PM

australian i think

roosta
09-12-2006, 06:30 PM
australian i think

well then he's perfectly situated to critcise other peoples accents, i shant retort

ET
09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
if i have to pick, would be the freaking rednecks; the KKK. Thoses assholes are just pure stupidity and make me vomit.

Oddly enough the KKK makes me hate white people the most! Good one, d00ds!

avignon
09-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I hate it when white people have that whole "whiteman's guilt" thing going on and when they are talking to someone not-white, you can feel them watching what they say. Example- I was talking to a bunch of people and I said "This Mexican guy" because I didn't know hombre's name, and this white girl says to me, "Please don't say 'Mexican', it offends me because my best friend is Mexican." Word for word, that's what she said. Now, besides the fact that she's an idiot, think about this. If her best Mexican friend was in a group of all Mexicans and one of them said something about white folks, would she say, "Don't talk about white people! My best friend is white!" Doubt it.

DroppinScience
09-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I hate it when white people have that whole "whiteman's guilt" thing going on and when they are talking to someone not-white, you can feel them watching what they say. Example- I was talking to a bunch of people and I said "This Mexican guy" because I didn't know hombre's name, and this white girl says to me, "Please don't say 'Mexican', it offends me because my best friend is Mexican." Word for word, that's what she said. Now, besides the fact that she's an idiot, think about this. If her best Mexican friend was in a group of all Mexicans and one of them said something about white folks, would she say, "Don't talk about white people! My best friend is white!" Doubt it.

I'm guessing she took offense towards you saying "Mexican" because you were making an assumption that he's a Mexican (when he could very well have been Dominican, Puerto Rican, Salvadorian, etc. etc.)? Kind of like calling a random Asian person Chinese when they could be Korean or Japanese?

But I get what you're saying. White people can get so overly PC around anyone remotely non-white they just clamp up and try to be non-offensive to the point where its offensive.

The Notorious LOL
09-13-2006, 12:09 AM
good for you, racism is important. (y)

icy manipulator
09-13-2006, 01:28 AM
yes i'm australian

vickista
09-13-2006, 01:41 AM

i hear you! my god those dutch are annoying! you know who else is annoying, wogs. but the boganish wogs giving us normal wogs a bad name!:mad:

Nivvie
09-13-2006, 02:09 AM
I used to live in Bradford, which has a huge Pakistani population, and it's growing all the time. In general, it didn't effect me, but there were plenty of people saying how different it was when they were children, how now their childhood neighbourhood was totally asian now.

The thing that did bother me though was the way you'd be walking along a ward, mainly in geriatric care, and there's be this weird, sweet smell. Further investigation would reveal bananas, blackening behind a radiator. What with MRSA and all the infection control procedures in place, heating your own food is not a good idea in a hospital. So we'd take them away, much to patients and relatives anger, only to find more food being warmed this way, sometimes pots of things, and always lots of smelly things, half eaten food in bedside lockers. We'd try and explain the hazards, how hospitals have a duty to be clean, but it was very hard to get that through to some people.

I think it's pretty impossible not to dislike elements of another culture's behaviour if exposed to them enough. I have moved a lot, and having lived in a muslim country I can say I do not judge them harshly as a race, but I hate the way they treat animals. I used to dislike the way women were treated, but seeing as most of them are happy with that, it's none of my business.

roosta
09-13-2006, 04:18 AM
yes i'm australian

well then he's perfectly situated to critcise other peoples accents, i shant retort

(lb)

mikizee
09-13-2006, 05:49 AM
ok heres some criticism at a certain race, since we are all doing it.

i drive a fuck load for my job, in fact about 6 hours out of a 8 hour day im in the car. and THE WORST drivers ive encountered are allllways female asian drivers. without question they completely suck. cut u off, do 30 k's under the speed limit, have an indicator on from 5 mins ago, drift lanes, cut u off again, or not indicate, every bad driving action u can think of are 80% of the time are perpetrated my female asian drivers. its funny when i come up behind a really bad driver, and i always think, nah, your stereotyping, it cant be a female asian driver AGAIN, but sure enuff, as i go past i look, and its an asian lady. every fucking time. they SUCK. LEARN TO FUCKING DRIVE.

oh yeah asians are cheap bastards as well, when i worked in retail they would always say 'how much for cash, cash' then when u discount the price they are never ever happy. fuck em.

hows that for generalising a whole race.

nodoubtTIF
09-13-2006, 10:11 AM
For a while I was starting to dislike black people because I went to an all black school where everyone was racist towards me, including my best friends (to this day I have a best friend, who is black, that is racist toward white people). Then I realized the real group of people I should be angry at are the ones that have marginalized, posessed and controlled people the most based on their race, sex and etc. The ones that refuse to pass the ERA and attempt to control the whole world even though they are the minority. :rolleyes:

HotAndWet
09-13-2006, 11:03 AM
I didn't know my Dutch quote would be such a success. (y)

icy manipulator
09-13-2006, 11:07 AM
(lb)
are you irish?

ET
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
oh yeah asians are cheap bastards as well, when i worked in retail they would always say 'how much for cash, cash' then when u discount the price they are never ever happy. fuck em.

That's just how it works in some countries. Unfortunately not all of America spends it's free time bargaining for a bulk case of Mac n Cheese at 10% off. And even more unfortunate is that some people don't know that!

I'm definitely prejudice toward old people drivers though. Of all races. Godamn. those poor asian ladies can't drive worth the shit though, ever!

Nuzzolese
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm really prejudice towards "kuntry" folk because I grew up with too many of them around me. Especially thick necked guys with their ball caps snug around their shaved heads, with the head fat pumping out on the back sides region, right under the edge of the hat. Or skinny guys with goatees and a cigarette and that nicotine stained skin, where you know they talk about getting drunk all the time and about how they live in a "hell hole." And the girls who wear cheap gold jewelry from ShopKo and talk about "truucks" and "fuuckin freanch toawst"

ET
09-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Ahaha, hot dog neck!!!

CHEVY VS. FORD!!!!

Nuzzolese
09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Oh, and everyone is their "kuzin" because they grew up together. I grew up with people too you know, I never had delusions that we were related.

Nuzzolese
09-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I think whatsaface up there had a good point when s/he(?) made the post about how class (money, education, accent) plays a huge factor in division of society and how openly people will welcome someone new.

abcdefz
09-13-2006, 01:12 PM
or they seem to think public areas are their's and if you don't like it go find your own area. naked children running around in the water play area of the park... fucking morons.

...we just wound up with a bunch of children sick in San José because of this. Apparently, some kid likely peed/pooped in a public fountain, contaminated it, and then it spread.

roosta
09-13-2006, 03:46 PM
are you irish?

indeed i am

Bob
09-13-2006, 03:49 PM
indeed i am

what? i can't understand what you're....oh forget it

roosta
09-13-2006, 04:00 PM
what? i can't understand what you're....oh forget it

hahaha...lol

Documad
09-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Isn't it funny how many people take comfort in their own prejudices when they find out that other people are prejudiced as well? It's a bit disturbing to watch.

Lex Diamonds
09-13-2006, 07:06 PM
You're all sick fucks. Racism is totally unacceptable, therefore all Americans are complete dickheads, Nazis and criminals. So are Australians.

[/racial stereotyping]

ampm
09-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Heiress is teaching me ebonics.

Take your mitts off my 40 mang and shit. Yo. Jigga when?

icy manipulator
09-13-2006, 11:09 PM
indeed i am
trueskis. yeah, i have a fairly strong irish ancestry. My name's Patrick Kieran, so i dont think you can get a more irish name than that. But my boss's sister's fiancee is irish and he speaks way way too fast for us! it drives everyone insane!

na§tee
09-14-2006, 04:18 AM
i'm only prejudiced against all the japanese people who beat me on online tetris ds :(

Lex Diamonds
09-14-2006, 08:04 AM
i'm only prejudiced against all the japanese people who beat me on online tetris ds :(
RACIST (n)

Dr Deaf
09-14-2006, 09:46 AM

on the tetris tip: what are some decent scores and levels to achieve?

i only recently started playing (and have since stopped) and i'm curious.

my best score to date is: 298786 and i'm thinking that's not the hottest shit of shit hot scores.

whats the world record?

roosta
09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
trueskis. yeah, i have a fairly strong irish ancestry. My name's Patrick Kieran, so i dont think you can get a more irish name than that. But my boss's sister's fiancee is irish and he speaks way way too fast for us! it drives everyone insane!

let go of the hate then. embrace the fast talking nonsense. youll feel better for it.

(footnote, my name is actually more irish than that, so much so its almost comical)