PDA

View Full Version : With all these people my age getting married

DandyFop
10-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I find myself increasingly glad that my happiness isn't based upon someone else. I'm not saying that's how all people in relationships are, just the majority of those I come across lately. I fail to "get it" anymore. I've seen people's myspace pages where their quote is something like "I'm so loved, I love you baby" and shit like that and all their comments are back and forth like "Wow baby I miss you" and it's kinda hilarious to me. I remember how dependant I once was on having someone's attention and someone's love and not needing that any longer is fucking awesome.

There's this girl I know that's my age who is into the same kinda thing I hope to get involved in - comedy improv, blah blah. She performs at some crappy local place and whatever, that's fine, but she just got married last year and they just bought a house. And I realized, well that's it for her. She's going to stay in that job she's in, be in random stupid parody shows for a while, eventually start having babies, and settle into being a wife and mother. If that is what makes her happy that's a-okay, but I am so glad that isn't me and that I'm going to have an actual shot at doing what I want to do because I won't be held back by someone else, or the financial investments we've made, or yada yada no matter if I love them or not.

I really don't know where this came from all of a sudden but...yeah....

TurdBerglar
10-04-2007, 10:43 PM
i always thought of as being unhealthy for someone to NEED someone to be truely happy.

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 10:45 PM
you know, it's weird, from the age of about 18 i've felt that the race is on, and i really need a husband, and get married early.
this is probably something to do with how old my parents were when they married. i find that really wrong.

ScarySquirrel
10-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Eh, it sounds like you basically have a very similar philosophy towards life as me... which is to make sure that you do you.

Forget all that stuff you're "supposed" to do, or whatever everyone else wants you to do. Make sure you're happy with your ish and let life take its course from there.

But, on the other hand, maybe the whole marriage and getting locked down into being a parent is their course. Live and let live, I guess. Keep on rockin' in the free world.

DandyFop
10-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Well I just don't get people who have to get married either. What is the rush exactly? Can't you wait a few years?

with that said this cute guy that rock climbs told me to call him tonight but I'm too nervous :(

I should just smoke a bowl and then I won't care!

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Well I just don't get people who have to get married either. What is the rush exactly? Can't you wait a few years?
i don't want to wait until i'm in my 40s or even in my late fucking 50s like my father.

TurdBerglar
10-04-2007, 10:48 PM
i think people shouldn't start trying to settle down until their late twenties/early thirties

DandyFop
10-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah but there's a big difference between 20s and 40s or 50s

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
all of a sudden i'm reminded of the theme song from dawson's creek

"i don't wanna wait....for our lives to be oooooverr"

TurdBerglar
10-04-2007, 10:51 PM
hahahaha

you watched dawson's creek!

hahahaha

DandyFop
10-04-2007, 10:51 PM
I think zorra and turd should just bone already

TurdBerglar
10-04-2007, 10:52 PM
jesus christ

milleson
Married for 8 years last week, biatches.

Yetra Flam
:(
i did not watch it! everyone knows the theme song from dawson's creek! jesus!

milleson
10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I think zorra and turd should just bone already

I second that motion.

Yetra Flam
10-04-2007, 10:54 PM
and that's like telling someone to have sex with their little brother :(

TurdBerglar
10-04-2007, 10:56 PM
my real little brother sucks

DandyFop
10-04-2007, 10:59 PM
maybe you could all have a threeway guyz. incest zzz beztrzzzzsafsfa

TurdBerglar
10-04-2007, 11:02 PM
jesus christ

my brother smells

Loppfessor
10-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Damnit I was hoping this was going to finally be the "yes Loppykins....I think I am finally ready to settle down and tie the knot" thread....:mad:

cosmo105
10-05-2007, 12:14 AM
i think i'm in a really healthy and happy relationship right now, but i've got the sense to know that i'm way too young to get married. it's something i can see in the future, but it's not what i'm working toward or what i use to define my life, if that makes sense. it'll be nice when it does happen, but that will be because it won't happen until i am absolutely positive it's the right time. i have a lot i want to accomplish in my life, and i include having a family in that list of aspirations, but there's far more to my dreams than that.

Kid Presentable
10-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Basing your worldly wisdom on myspace and what you think you know about other peoples motivations = lol

Be happy in yourself to the level where you trust your own choices, and don't need to criticize others decisions to make you feel better about your own.

DandyFop
10-05-2007, 06:52 AM
KidP you have to realize that where I come from, the norm is generally getting married when you are 19/20, becoming a dental assistant, then busting out 4 or 5 kids. To me that's extremely unappealing and when I see it it just makes me appreciate that I want something different. A lot of people I know are taught that this is their real goal in life, to marry and have babies ASAP, and I just feel that's pretty silly.

So in that sense, fuck yes I will criticize them for continuing to overpopulate the earth.

Knuckles
10-05-2007, 07:06 AM
I guess I agree with the 4 or 5 kids thing but what if they are truly happy being a wife, mother and dental assistant?

If something makes you happy in this life, do it. :)

tracky
10-05-2007, 07:12 AM
yeah i'm pretty much with knuckles all the way on this one. 4-5 kids maybe a couple too many, but whatever makes them happy.

Calimero jr.
10-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I got married this year and I'll become father in a few months. We didn't do it because we thought "this is what we are supposed to do", it's just that we decided as a couple that this was we wanted to do. The idea to have a family and to become father is giving me far more satisfaction in life than any other job/money or material thing could.
And I'm happy that we didn't wait years and years of relationship before going forward, I think that most people expected that we would wait some more years. I'm 30 now, and I'm happy to think that I will still be in my '40-50s when my kid(s) will be teenagers/young adults.
And here with an average of a bit less than 2 child per family, it's still not enough to prevent the population to get older, so no worries for me to overpopulate the planet.

Documad
10-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Most of my high school friends got married young and they've never left the state, or perhaps they've been to western Wisconsin. They don't even drive into the city, except possibly once every year for the holiday parade. They pretty much hang out with their other family members every weekend, and all the little cousins play together. I always thought it was crazy to be so tied to your siblings, but then I wasn't close to mine, and my parents both moved away from their siblings in the late 1940s so I barely know my cousins.

I don't care whether people make the choice to stay in the same place and get married young, but I wonder whether it's something they really wanted or whether they never had a chance to think about other options. If you knew that you had options, and you decided to stay put, that's great. It would have been a disaster for me, because I'm a completely different person than I was at 20 or even at 25. I shudder to think what my life would have been like if I hadn't challenged myself. I'm not talking about employment accomplishments, etc., it's more that I was a very shy person and leaving home forced me to grow. I can't imagine living without the interesting people I've met over the years and the things I've seen and done.

Maybe when I'm old, I'll regret not having dozens of kids and other family members in town to take care of me though. :o

By the way, where you live, perhaps people don't divorce often, but in my experience, about 50% of those people who marry at 20-25 will divorce within 10-15 years and they will be trying to find themselves then. They will often start to hang out in bars and it's not a pretty sight.

Documad
10-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Of course, if you someday want to be married with more than one kid, you shouldn't wait too long. There will be fewer available men when you're older, and you get less fertile. I have friends who wanted multiple kids but they didn't start trying to have them until they were in their 30s and they've been very very frustrated because they can't have the family they wanted. I don't think any of them wish they'ld married the guy they dated in college, but they do have regrets.

Women see celebrity women having kids in their 40s and they don't realize that it's not possible for most women, it's also a heartbreaking experience to go through all the doctor visits and crazy drugs, etc. About half of my friends never want to have kids. As for the others, most of them started trying at about age 32-33, it took 5 years to get pregnant with the first kid, and then they couldn't get pregnant with a second kid. Then there were some who couldn't get pregnant at all.

My few friends who had kids when they were young and who stayed married are looking at being empty nesters by the time they're 50, and they'll be able to do a lot of things as a couple when they're still healthy enough to have some fun (if they have money left over from paying for the kids' college :p). The ones who waited to have kids have to wait longer to be empty nesters.

I guess I'm just saying that all the choices you make and fail to make affect your options down the road so it's good to think about what you're doing instead of just floating along.

Kid Presentable
10-05-2007, 09:11 AM
KidP you have to realize that where I come from, the norm is generally getting married when you are 19/20, becoming a dental assistant, then busting out 4 or 5 kids. To me that's extremely unappealing and when I see it it just makes me appreciate that I want something different. A lot of people I know are taught that this is their real goal in life, to marry and have babies ASAP, and I just feel that's pretty silly.

So in that sense, fuck yes I will criticize them for continuing to overpopulate the earth.

Yeah I didn't make that connection. Just more a general rule from my point of view is all; don't justify your choices by what other people do, just make the right ones for you. And so you do. :)

AceFace
10-05-2007, 09:50 AM
i've been with my husband now for over 8 years, married for 4 of them. we got married in our late 20s. i go through the same feelings as Dandy. We have such an independent relationship. i mean we do depend on each other for money and we are truly happy together. but we work opposite shifts, we have our own friends and we pretty much see each other on the weekends and we like it that way! by saturday, we're sooo happy to see each other it's rediculous.

seeing people with their myspace default name like "the Pedersens" or whatever, it makes me sad. i feel like i have a well rounded life b/c i have a great husband and i am free to be myself and to peruse things i like without having him attached to me. if i wanna go to the Virgin Festival for 4 days and he doesn't want to go, i find someone else that does and i go. he doesn't get mad. he asks to see my pics and lets me tell my stories when i get back and he's happy i had an awesome time.

the one thing i get allll the time is "when are you gonna have kids"? well we're not going to have them. we decided that long ago. we want a boat. we want to travel. we want to move to a bigger city. we want a stacked IRA so we can retire really early and fuck off the rest of our life. we have that planned. and people REALLY don't get that. they don't understand that you can be married without having a set plan of kids and work and that's it.

the end.

russhie
10-05-2007, 09:51 AM
The bit I'm scratching my head over is how you equate being a wife, mother & homeowner with being professionally unfulfilled. These things don't cause someone to stop pursuing the things they desire, but fear of failure & self-doubt do?

Kid Presentable
10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
i've been with my husband now for over 8 years, married for 4 of them. we got married in our late 20s. i go through the same feelings as Dandy. We have such an independent relationship. i mean we do depend on each other for money and we are truly happy together. but we work opposite shifts, we have our own friends and we pretty much see each other on the weekends and we like it that way! by saturday, we're sooo happy to see each other it's rediculous.

seeing people with their myspace default name like "the Pedersens" or whatever, it makes me sad. i feel like i have a well rounded life b/c i have a great husband and i am free to be myself and to peruse things i like without having him attached to me. if i wanna go to the Virgin Festival for 4 days and he doesn't want to go, i find someone else that does and i go. he doesn't get mad. he asks to see my pics and lets me tell my stories when i get back and he's happy i had an awesome time.

the one thing i get allll the time is "when are you gonna have kids"? well we're not going to have them. we decided that long ago. we want a boat. we want to travel. we want to move to a bigger city. we want a stacked IRA so we can retire really early and fuck off the rest of our life. we have that planned. and people REALLY don't get that. they don't understand that you can be married without having a set plan of kids and work and that's it.

the end.

my sister-in-law asked when the wife and I were having kids, I said "yours put us off it".

AceFace
10-05-2007, 10:09 AM
hahahahaha. awesome. it's true though! other people's kids totally turn me off to having my own.

Calimero jr.
10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
It turns me on trying to raise mine better than theirs :)

Kid Presentable
10-05-2007, 10:22 AM
It turns me on trying to raise mine better than theirs :)

ADMIN!!

Calimero jr.
10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Mmmm guess there must be some double-meaning in my sentence that I fail to see.....:o

Yeti
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I am married and we have a toddler. I sometimes think about single life. I go out on the town with some of my single friends. We go in a bar and I usually see an old guy at the bar all hunched over drinking a scotch and think I don't want to be the old guy all hunched over drinking a scotch.

To each their own. I am an apathetic liberal so go out have a ball is what I say.

DandyFop
10-05-2007, 12:51 PM
The bit I'm scratching my head over is how you equate being a wife, mother & homeowner with being professionally unfulfilled. These things don't cause someone to stop pursuing the things they desire, but fear of failure & self-doubt do?

I don't think the two are seperate things. I'm saying that I'm happy that I don't have one goal in life of finding someone to be with, that I have other things going on. I think I come from a bit of a different situation than a lot of you, in like I said, that I live in Utah, where with the LDS religion, it's very much the norm. A lot of the girls I meet seem like they are putting on an act, they do this and that for their husband and I just wonder if they really feel fulfilled.

Duh, of course everyone should do what makes them happy. I only bring it up because FOR MEEEEEEEEEE, there's a lot of things I want to experience before settling down. If I could find someone to experience those things with, I would welcome it totally, but I'm not holding out for it. I always try to see things from other people's perspectives but obviously when it comes down to it, I have what I want and feel engrained. To me, it seems like death settling into some 9-5 job with no creativity, monotonous, etc. etc., coming home to cook every day, blah. But I can see that being appealing at some point - just not now.

In other news, the rock climber called me and we hung out and omg he's so smart and cute :o

Yeti
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Get over it and let some Mormon put 10 or 15 buns in your oven.

Lyman Zerga
10-05-2007, 02:11 PM
you know, it's weird, from the age of about 18 i've felt that the race is on, and i really need a husband, and get married early.
this is probably something to do with how old my parents were when they married. i find that really wrong.

i feel the same even when my mum was already married at my age and had two kids by this time

hpdrifter
10-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Of course, if you someday want to be married with more than one kid, you shouldn't wait too long. There will be fewer available men when you're older, and you get less fertile. I have friends who wanted multiple kids but they didn't start trying to have them until they were in their 30s and they've been very very frustrated because they can't have the family they wanted. I don't think any of them wish they'ld married the guy they dated in college, but they do have regrets.

Women see celebrity women having kids in their 40s and they don't realize that it's not possible for most women, it's also a heartbreaking experience to go through all the doctor visits and crazy drugs, etc. About half of my friends never want to have kids. As for the others, most of them started trying at about age 32-33, it took 5 years to get pregnant with the first kid, and then they couldn't get pregnant with a second kid. Then there were some who couldn't get pregnant at all.

My few friends who had kids when they were young and who stayed married are looking at being empty nesters by the time they're 50, and they'll be able to do a lot of things as a couple when they're still healthy enough to have some fun (if they have money left over from paying for the kids' college :p). The ones who waited to have kids have to wait longer to be empty nesters.

I guess I'm just saying that all the choices you make and fail to make affect your options down the road so it's good to think about what you're doing instead of just floating along.

*starts hyperventilating*

Oh god, oh god, oh god

*starts sweating profusely*

I'm going to get to have kids someday, I'm going to get to have kids someday, I'm going to....

HEIRESS
10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
MARRIAGE MOTHERFUCKER DO-YOU-WANT-IT?

is how Im going to propose.

hpdrifter
10-05-2007, 02:34 PM
haha. Nice.

Then he can go YEAH and you can go YEAH back and forth and then you can bump chests.

Rock
10-05-2007, 03:21 PM

That beats my "So, do you wanna get married n' shit?"

RobMoney$
10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I find myself increasingly glad that my happiness isn't based upon someone else. I'm not saying that's how all people in relationships are, just the majority of those I come across lately. I fail to "get it" anymore. I've seen people's myspace pages where their quote is something like "I'm so loved, I love you baby" and shit like that and all their comments are back and forth like "Wow baby I miss you" and it's kinda hilarious to me. I remember how dependant I once was on having someone's attention and someone's love and not needing that any longer is fucking awesome.

There's this girl I know that's my age who is into the same kinda thing I hope to get involved in - comedy improv, blah blah. She performs at some crappy local place and whatever, that's fine, but she just got married last year and they just bought a house. And I realized, well that's it for her. She's going to stay in that job she's in, be in random stupid parody shows for a while, eventually start having babies, and settle into being a wife and mother. If that is what makes her happy that's a-okay, but I am so glad that isn't me and that I'm going to have an actual shot at doing what I want to do because I won't be held back by someone else, or the financial investments we've made, or yada yada no matter if I love them or not.

Me thinks thou do'est protest too much.

DandyFop
10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Get over it and let some Mormon put 10 or 15 buns in your oven.

oh mannn can you imagine having that many kids? No wonder so many moms around this place do speed

Kid Presentable
10-05-2007, 06:43 PM
That beats my "So, do you wanna get married n' shit?"

"Hey, have this ring"

Gareth
10-05-2007, 07:35 PM

while toting a nine?
or whilst down on one knee?
either is acceptable.

Yetra Flam
10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Can i say that if you're a female, having a kid in your 40s is a really bad idea. Unless you want your kids to have rare, untreatable diseases

Yetra Flam
10-07-2007, 09:56 PM
sometimes those females in their 40s don't have the choice to have kids any earlier in their lives.

then adopt! or work out another way. you can't take that risk on your own children.

ET
10-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Most of my high school friends got married young and they've never left the state,

Maybe when I'm old, I'll regret not having dozens of kids and other family members in town to take care of me though. :o

By the way, where you live, perhaps people don't divorce often, but in my experience, about 50% of those people who marry at 20-25 will divorce within 10-15 years and they will be trying to find themselves then. They will often start to hang out in bars and it's not a pretty sight.

I lost count on how many people I went to high school with that are baby mommas now and in that situation. It's really hard to not say "WOW YOU GOT FAT!" when I run into people.

The prospect of marriage seems like an intriguing tax cut though.

AceFace
10-08-2007, 07:40 AM
uh, yes, the tax cut is a plus. also, if i lock my keys in my car, i have someone that can bring me the spare. :p

vickista
10-08-2007, 08:17 AM
i have to get married. to a noice greek boy. i havent met him yet and im not allowed to look for him, god forbid i get pregnant. but one day when im 30 he'll magically appear at my door, and i'll have to get married.

im sure it'll be lovely,

then ill squeeze some puppies out so that my mother can tell me how malnurished they are and we can bitch about days of our lives & the day time movie.

im really looking forward to it.

miss soul fire
10-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Damn, I wrote a whole speech about saving my saggy boobs (when I get old) to someone special and it all got deleted somehow with the ESC button. Hihi.

Never mind.://///////

Lex Diamonds
10-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Sounds like someone's bitter and lonely. You need some sex!

Lex Diamonds
10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
If she isn't going to have meaningless sex with losers, and she thinks people with meaningful relationships are lame, then she's pretty much saying she never wants to have sex again but wants to get stressed out at people who do for the rest of her life.

DandyFop
10-08-2007, 11:56 AM
When did I say people with meaningful relationships are lame?

Lex Diamonds
10-08-2007, 12:00 PM
When you broke my heart. :(

Lyman Zerga
10-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Tricia and I will be married 12 years on October 28th. We have been a comitted relationship with each other for over 20 years now, so I have spent more of my life with her than without her. I am not depended on her for my happiness, but I will say that she makes me the happiest. I believe what has made our relationship work is having the same dream. We have taken different paths, even changed courses, but we have always had the same goal. Only you can make you happy, so do what makes you happy.

eat my sweaty shit!