Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Non-Beastie Boys > General Political Discussion

Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Campus Fuckface

Default Re: The White House is asking that you report dissenting views

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoney$ View Post
I'd like to think a survivors message would be to make sure it never happens again. To be vigilant in making an issue at the slightest hint of subversive tactics by your government.
*ahem*

Reactions from people who have undoubtedly been effected by the Holocaust to those who would compare Obama to Hitler. This is specifically about Rush Limbaugh's remarks about Obama, but is worth sharing in this context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Jewish Congress
...comparing Obama ( and Pelosi )to Hitler and the Nazis are grossly offensive and intolerable. They reflect a nasty and hyperbolic tendency on our political culture, one which makes reasoned discourse impossible, confuses disagreement with evil, and which makes it impossible to distinguish evil from ordinary politics. . . . It behooves all participants in the political process to unequivocally disavow the comparison and to make it plain that peddlers of such noxious comparison have no place in our politics, no matter how large their audiences. And all Americans should make plain their disgust at the comparisons by talk show hosts by a prompt use of the off button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Defamation League

The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today called attempts by some opponents of health care reform to bring Nazi imagery into the debate, "outrageous, deeply offensive and inappropriate" and condemned remarks by talk-show host Rush Limbaugh, who compared President Obama's health care logo to a swastika, and policies championed by the Democratic Party to those of the Nazis.

"Regardless of the political differences and the substantive differences in the debate over health care, the use of Nazi symbolism is outrageous, offensive and inappropriate," said Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director and a Holocaust survivor. . . .

In recent days, street protests against President Obama's health care plan have gotten ugly, with some protestors appearing in photographs wearing swastika and SS symbols.

That prompted Rush Limbaugh to remark on his radio program that, "They accuse us of being Nazis, and Obama's got a healthcare logo that's right out of Adolf Hitler's playbook." He went on to compare certain Democratic Party policies to those of the Nazis.
And one more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Greenwald
I just got off the phone with Rabbi Marvin Hier, Dean and Founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center. He made clear that he has some "serious objections" to some of Obama's policies -- "especially in the foreign policy context" (read: Israel) -- but was nonetheless scathing in his condemnation of Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh's comments are "shameful," "beyond the pale," and "unworthy of Americans." He said that to compare Obama's health care package to Nazi programs, or to compare Obama to Hitler, is to "demean ourselves"; that efforts to compare Obama's health care logo to Nazi logos are "preposterous" and "offensive"; and that Limbaugh's monologue in particular was "really disgraceful" and "shameful."
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwa...ugh/index.html

You sure you want to continue down this line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
in the hip hop world, we call you a biter, and it's one of the most egregious things a person can do

Old 08-11-2009, 03:02 AM
good reactions, etc?

rob, i think we got distracted by arguing over the validity of holocaust references. you've clearly got your opinion on that, and i've clearly got mine, and clearly neither of us are going to change each others' minds so i'm happy to drop that subject if you are

but there's a factual issue here that's killing me and i want to come back to it because i don't think it really got addressed

you asked me:

Quote:
Answer me this Bob,
Why are they asking for names, or email addy's? Why can't people just cut and paste the disinformation they're asking for so they can compile a response?
and i answered you by saying that they in fact do not actually appear to be asking for names, or email addresses and that they really do seem to be just interested in addressing the actual rumors, as evidenced by this page where they've, in your own words, compiled a response to the disinformation. and we can argue about the validity of that response and that's all very healthy, but still, i really am wondering, not so i can personally attack you, but because i want to properly understand your stance on this, where are you getting the idea that they want names and e-mail addresses so they can go after dissenters directly?

Last edited by Bob : 08-11-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Scientist

Quote:
but still, i really am wondering, not so i can personally attack you, but because i want to properly understand your stance on this, where are you getting the idea that they want names and e-mail addresses so they can go after dissenters directly?
Yes this is the key question. Thanks for asking him.

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 08-11-2009, 06:15 AM
The Dude minds

Yeah, I was absolutely wrong on that one.

I thought the white house video of the woman with short blonde haircut said something about gathering info of the people who are spreading the "disinformation".

I was wrong.

Got 99 problems and they all bitches

Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Campus Fuckface

Quote:

I was wrong.
Wouldn't be the first time.

Quote:
in the hip hop world, we call you a biter, and it's one of the most egregious things a person can do

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Battletoad

DS don't be a jackass about it.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
anti-semite cossack sluts

Quote:
When I see anyone employing tactics the Nazi's used, no matter how benign, I shout it from the fucking rooftops.
then where have you been during the past eight years, during the bush administration? why weren't you shouting from the rooftops about the patriot act? why weren't you shouting from the rooftops about illegal wiretapping? why weren't you shouting from the rooftops about illegal rendition? torture? guantanamo bay? the cia kidnapping innocent people? the blatant lies about wmds and saddam's ties to al-qaeda the bush admin told for invading iraq?

Quote:
baseball is the r&b of sports

Old 08-11-2009, 01:58 PM
MCA 1964 - 2012

oh, that's the minimal government rob likes, the kind that does minimal to uphold national and international law

Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to be one

Old 08-11-2009, 02:21 PM
good reactions, etc?

once again, the daily show nails it
Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Bacardi by Night

Yeah, Stewart was right-on with that one. Palin claiming Obama had death panels nearly made me scream. I don't know how people can actually hear that and think, "Yeah, sounds like something Obama would want to set up." Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Alozando Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
Shit. I know shit's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we runnin' out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution that will fix everything!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Peace & Love

I actually started to post a litany of items about Sarah Palin then I caught myself.

Honestly, in real life do any of you know anyone as dumb as Sarah Palin?

Or do you know anyone who falls back on their word and honor as much as she has?

She is not even in the Junior High School level of healthcare debate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKLqVCz8SA
I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]

Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Bacardi by Night

Unfortunately, I know a few like her. They live in Boonsboro, MD. It's a remote place in MD that's known for high-Christian values...and the KKK, also. They're nice enough as long as you don't talk politics. Then you kinda want to punch them in the throat, or rip your hair out, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Alozando Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
Shit. I know shit's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we runnin' out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution that will fix everything!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Peace & Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAdrock View Post
Unfortunately, I know a few like her. They live in Boonsboro, MD. It's a remote place in MD that's known for high-Christian values...and the KKK, also. They're nice enough as long as you don't talk politics. Then you kinda want to punch them in the throat, or rip your hair out, or both.
So we are now catering to a group of citizens that use speaking points from someone who has a 13-14 year old level of understanding of the current health care debate in the United States.

Thank God these folks called Obama on his bullshit, we were so close to becoming a Nazi country with that email address it's spooky.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKLqVCz8SA
I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]