Old 11-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Atkins Approved

Default The Boys Denied by AC/DC!

Old article.....here it is...

Beasties score sample brushoff
By IAN NATHANSON

AC/DC keep a stiff upper lip when it comes to sampling their music.

In November of last year, The Beastie Boys attempted to release their 1985 Def Jam single Rock Hard on their greatest-hits package, The Sounds of Science.

Rock Hard contains a sample of AC/DC's monster hit Back in Black, so Beastie Mike Diamond attempted to track down the band seeking approval for the sample.

After reaching Malcolm Young, guitarist brother of Angus Young, during AC/DC's recording sessions for Stiff Upper Lip in Vancouver, Mike D got the thumbs-down to issue the track.

"I didn't think they wanted to sample (Back in Black)," Angus told MuchMusic's George Stroumboulpoulos in a televised interview yesterday. "I think they wanted to steal it. It's like my brother Malcolm said, 'What they do is cruel.' I mean, if you give it to them, then you need to give it to everyone."

Milestone

Young, seated beside lead singer Brian Johnson, conceded Back in Black represents a significant milestone in the Australian hard-rockers' 27-year career.

Released in July 1980, AC/DC's Back in Black album marked the debut of Johnson in the frontman role. His predecessor Bon Scott died five months earlier and there was much public -- not to mention band -- concern whether AC/DC could carry on.

After three monster hit singles, Hells Bells, You Shook Me All Night Long and the riveting title track, Johnson's gruff, high-pitched vocal style would go on to be as identifiable to AC/DC as Angus Young's British schoolboy outfits and timeless, crunchy guitar riffs.

Responding to Mike D's criticism that "AC/DC could not get with the sample concept," Young shot back, "We spend a lot of years writing the stuff and putting it all together. And we always felt, you know, this is our thing. You do your thing."

And not only are The Beastie Boys AC/DC fans, seems Eminem is, too. Deep inside the Net, there exists a version of Eminem's breakthrough single, My Name Is, set to the riff from -- you guessed it -- Back In Black.

No word whether Eminem requested permission