Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Non-Beastie Boys > Other Music

Old 03-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Demon Prince

Default The more I listen to Eminem, the more it relates to my life

This is odd. My friend burned me a couple of CDs from Eminem, and I've noticed that the more I listen to him now, the more his lyrics relate to my life. The songs that most relate to my life are Mosh, White America, Mockingbird, and Cleanin' Out The Closet. Mosh is basically bashing Bush in the song, and I like that kind of attitude, and also like bashing him. White America talks about how he didn't know more people felt the way he did about America and stuff, and felt patriotic, but wasn't sure about others (or something like that). Mockingbird talks about the way things went downhill with a family (perhaps his; I've noticed he talks about this Hailie chick in alot of songs, but I don't know who that is). The same thing has kinda happened with mine, but I won't go itno detail. Cleanin' Out The Closet is definietely one that relates to my life. My mom yells alot at my sister, and is annoying, and exaggerates about stuff, and so on. Now look at the lyrics...

Now I would never diss my own mama just to get recognition, take a second to listen who you
think this record is dissin', but put yourself in my position, just try to envision witnessin'
your Mama poppin' prescription pills in the kitchen, "censored"in' that someone's always goin'
through her purse and "censored"s missin', going through public housing systems, victim of Munchausen's syndrome, my whole life I was made to believe I was sick when I wasn't 'til I grew
up, now I blew up, it makes you sick to ya' stomach, doesn't it, wasn't it the reason you made
that Cd for me, ma, so you could try to justify the way you treated me, ma, but guess what, your
gettin' older now and it's cold when your lonely, and Nathan's growing up so quick, he's gonna know that your phoney, and Hailie's getting so big now, you should see her, she's beautiful, but you'll never see her, she won't even be at your funeral, see what hurts me the most is you won't
admit you was wrong, "censored", do your song, keep tellin' yourself that you was a mom, but how dareyou try to take what you didn't help me to get, you selfish "censored", I hope you "censored"in' burn in
hello for this "censored", remember when Ronnie died and you said you wished it was me, well guess
what, I am dead, dead to you as can be...

Now what are your thoughts on this? Is it because Eminem tries to rap more about life, so people can take a hard look at it and they realize what's really going on? Perhaps the above lyrics were how his mother actually treated him.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Campus Fuckface

Default Re: The more I listen to Eminem, the more it relates to my life

Hailey is Eminem's daughter, dawg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
in the hip hop world, we call you a biter, and it's one of the most egregious things a person can do

Old 03-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Grand Wizard

So, you live in a trailer park?

"Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media." - Noam Chomsky

Old 03-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZenki
Now I would never diss my own mama just to get recognition, take a second to listen who you
think this record is dissin', but put yourself in my position, just try to envision witnessin'
your Mama poppin' prescription pills in the kitchen, "censored"in' that someone's always goin'
through her purse and "censored"s missin', going through public housing systems, victim of Munchausen's syndrome, my whole life I was made to believe I was sick when I wasn't 'til I grew
up, now I blew up, it makes you sick to ya' stomach, doesn't it, wasn't it the reason you made
that Cd for me, ma, so you could try to justify the way you treated me, ma, but guess what, your
gettin' older now and it's cold when your lonely, and Nathan's growing up so quick, he's gonna know that your phoney, and Hailie's getting so big now, you should see her, she's beautiful, but you'll never see her, she won't even be at your funeral, see what hurts me the most is you won't
admit you was wrong, "censored", do your song, keep tellin' yourself that you was a mom, but how dareyou try to take what you didn't help me to get, you selfish "censored", I hope you "censored"in' burn in
hello for this "censored", remember when Ronnie died and you said you wished it was me, well guess
what, I am dead, dead to you as can be...
Hey, where did you get the lyrics? Did you "censor" them to protect us from the raw truth, or are you looking at a clean version of the CD. Does he want his mom to burn in "hello" in the clean version?

That's kind of sweet if you're typing this out and censoring it for us.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Demon Prince

http://www.a-z.lyrics.com

I didn't censor them myself, I copied them from the above site, then posted this on another site. I forgot that that site has censors, and didn't notice it when I posted it. If you want to see the un-edited version, go to the above site, I'm too lazy to fix them, since I have a post explaining them.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Eminem embodies all that's wrong in America.

Say "NO" to new music.

Listen to real music... pre-89 will do just fine.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:53 PM
good reactions, etc?

what, all of it?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
what, all of it?
Yep, everything from shameless marketing of disgusting smut to the infusion of "ghetto" culture onto impressionable youngsters.

Say "NO" to new music.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:00 PM

There's only so many ways to bitch about your family, other artists, your childhood, etc.

Eminem's exhausted them all.

Your boombox better form a union
Cause I leave your circuits overworked

Old 03-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Demon Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandista!
Eminem embodies all that's wrong in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandinista!
Yep, everything from shameless marketing of disgusting smut to the infusion of "ghetto" culture onto impressionable youngsters.
Exactly. I try to do things about things when they go wrong in America. If I could get ahold of a tank to show Bush what's what, I would. But he does things by rapping about them. Maybe people aren't actually influenced to go steal a tank, but he's earned respect points for Mosh and White America.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:13 PM

actually hes very talented and if he sold a tenth of what he did and talked about "the body rock" or french toast or some shit...every single kid on this site would jock him.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uninte...v=wall&ref=sgm

Old 03-22-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't say "hella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot04
There's only so many ways to bitch about your family, other artists, your childhood, etc.

Eminem's exhausted them all.
Exactly.
I think he's a talented guy but it gets boring hearing about the same stuff all the time. We get it, you had a tough life, your wife did you wrong and you want to kill her, you love your daughter, blah blah blah. Get some new topics.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:47 PM
doubts your commitment

Quote:
Exactly. I try to do things about things when they go wrong in America. If I could get ahold of a tank to show Bush what's what, I would. But he does things by rapping about them. Maybe people aren't actually influenced to go steal a tank, but he's earned respect points for Mosh and White America.
he's saying that Eminem IS what's wrong with America, not that he's TALKING about what's wrong with America.

lonely as a cloud in the golden state
"the longest winter that i ever saw
was the summer that i spent..."

Old 03-22-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe people aren't actually influenced to go steal a tank, but he's earned respect points for Mosh and White America.
Friendless wiggas and pea-brained teenage girls are always a valid constituency for artistic geniuses

Say "NO" to new music.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:32 PM
back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious LOL
actually hes very talented and if he sold a tenth of what he did and talked about "the body rock" or french toast or some shit...every single kid on this site would jock him.
well put, for real

Mister Films Productions "We Make Things"

Old 03-22-2005, 11:37 PM
wtf

just because the music industry is a huge scam and major labels dont give a fuck about music dosent mean 'white america', for example, isnt still a good song.
but I dont like it when he gets whiney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audielicious
On Saved By The Bell, Screech's mom was played by Ruth Buzzi. And in the new Spin article, in one of the pictures Mike D. is dressed up as an old lady and the caption says that it's his Aunt, Ruth Buzzi Diamond.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:15 AM
makeshift patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimm
why dosn't he go back to his backpackin image days he had like in the SoundBoming Dayz where he just floated around and ripped up mics.

I guess money changes everything.

you said it man. thats why i cant stand him, he wastes his talent to make stupid songs so more people will listen. i must say he does have some good songs, but i still dont like him.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Demon Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo105
he's saying that Eminem IS what's wrong with America, not that he's TALKING about what's wrong with America.
If he raps about the issues, I fail to see how he's the problem with America.

And even if he is a problem, he's not close to being the biggest problem in America. Hopefully you all know of a man named George W. Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMoi
Exactly.
I think he's a talented guy but it gets boring hearing about the same stuff all the time. We get it, you had a tough life, your wife did you wrong and you want to kill her, you love your daughter, blah blah blah. Get some new topics.
What, would you rather have him start rapping about girls, like most other rappers? I respect your opinion, but the fact that he raps about the problems with his family and America and such is what separates him from other rappers. But I partly agree with you that he should rap abot more than family problems and stuff like that, but I still like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandista!
Friendless wiggas and pea-brained teenage girls are always a valid constituency for artistic geniuses
Could someone give me a translation of this in English?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I'd love to.

Quote:
À l'origine signalé par Sandinista!
Les gens qui n'ont aucun ami et agissent noir et pois brained les filles d'adolescent sont toujours un collège électoral valide pour les génies artistiques.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't say "hella"

Quote:

What, would you rather have him start rapping about girls, like most other rappers? I respect your opinion, but the fact that he raps about the problems with his family and America and such is what separates him from other rappers. But I partly agree with you that he should rap abot more than family problems and stuff like that, but I still like him.
I didn't say he should rap about things other rappers are talking about. I'm just sick of hearing the same subject matter in HIS music all the time. I say the same thing about rappers who always talk about girls or bling, or whatever. I'd say the same thing about ANY artist who used the same content over and over in their lyrics.

I really don't think his subject matter is that impressive or different. A lot of rappers rap about how they had it tough growing up, and pretty much everyone and their brother is doing songs about the state of the nation. As a woman, it is hard not to hate some of the stuff he's said in the past. I don't think it's thought-provoking or funny to hear him talk in detail about tying his wife up and throwing her in the trunk; I just think it's tasteless and irresponsible to say something like that in this crazy world we live in today.

When it comes to Eminem, I am really just impressed with his freestyling and overall rapping skills.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMoi?
When it comes to Eminem, I am really just impressed with his freestyling and overall rapping skills.
Likewise. Very likewise.

It would be wrong to say that he doesn't have talent, it's really just the way he uses (or neglects) it that really bugs me.

Quote:
What, would you rather have him start rapping about girls, like most other rappers?
Turn off the radio bud, there are countless other rappers out there with more creative subject matter than Eminem.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Demon Prince

Quote:
I'd love to.
RDRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoMoi
I didn't say he should rap about things other rappers are talking about. I'm just sick of hearing the same subject matter in HIS music all the time. I say the same thing about rappers who always talk about girls or bling, or whatever. I'd say the same thing about ANY artist who used the same content over and over in their lyrics.
Fine fine, I'm not trying to convert you or anything
Old 03-23-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
RDRR
Dude, you've used that one on me before, remember?

Please ridicule me in another fashion, thanks.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:45 PM
The Super Thing

wow, this is the gayest thread I have ever read in my life.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Sheriff of Nottingham

the kid likes eminem. big deal.
yeah, it might not be the best thread, but whatever... there have been worse- like half of what's in the general beastie boys forum right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padster View Post
What I find weird is when big burly men (usually from Yorkshire) call other men "love". Most of the time they don't even remember to say "no homo", it's like WTF?!?/?

Old 03-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Demon Prince

Quote:
Dude, you've used that one on me before, remember?

Please ridicule me in another fashion, thanks.
You mean you bothered reading my response before the ICP thread was closed? Ha. It's true I ahve used that one on you, but just because I'm using it for the second time doesn't mean it's gotten old. I mean, jokes can last for weeks and still be funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
wow, this is the gayest thread I have ever read in my life
Then why did you post here? I wasn't asking for your comments on the thread, I was asking for your comments on how Eminem relates to my life, and possibly what you think of him. If you think it's gay that his lyrics relate to my life...then whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimm
hey man at least you burnt the Cd's and didn't buy 'em ?
A friend burned them for me, but I would consider Encore an album I would buy if I didn't own it, and couldn't get ahold of it for free. Not sure about The Eminem show, but it's not that bad of an album. I'm just surprised I didn't get the actual copy, they were my friend's brother, until he watched 8 Mile and cryed.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:43 PM
wtf

download the marshall mathers LP. better than those 2 albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audielicious
On Saved By The Bell, Screech's mom was played by Ruth Buzzi. And in the new Spin article, in one of the pictures Mike D. is dressed up as an old lady and the caption says that it's his Aunt, Ruth Buzzi Diamond.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:54 AM

Quote:
That was sarcasm; you'll learn about it in 6th grade

Say "NO" to new music.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:50 AM
I'm back.

ahahahaha, okay, that was a good one.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:40 AM

I'm personally not a big fan of Eminem, but I definitly can relate to a lot of his lyrics about hs life. I used to be really irritated by Eminem and saw him as whiny, but when you think about it a lot of rappers bitch about their life. In fact, I would say probably about 95% in mainstream rap. I think it's good to rap about what you went through because it exposes people to the things that are going on in the world and gives others something to relate to. Eminem's music seems to become more and more watered down, but when he freestyles he is actually waaaaaay better than would ever expect him to be.