Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Non-Beastie Boys > Beastie-Free General Discussion

Old 02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
you fucking lemmings...

Default Supplements: shit in a bottle

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11532184/

"Two recent studies appearing in the highly-respected New England Journal of Medicine punctured the promises of some of the most popular pills found on drug-store shelves.

Turns out calcium isn't much help for preventing broken bones as we grow older. And glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, top-sellers for the aches and pains of osteoarthritis, hardly make a difference."

"Vitamins C and E fared even poorer as preventives against prostate cancer in a study last week in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. It found no reduction of risk whatsoever, except perhaps in some smokers."

"Small trials, which many supplements have gone through, often show a great deal of benefit,’’ says Vickers. "It’s only when you greatly increase the size of the population studied that you are able to see a more accurate picture, which is what we’re seeing now.’’

-----

stupid fuckin supplement craze....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzz
...to stretch your capacity for compassion for other people? Then again, I don't think you value that very highly. Not as highly as telling it like it is.
-----
Qdrop HipHop Mix

Old 02-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Bionic

Default Re: Supplements: shit in a bottle

shit. i just spent like $100 on co Q 10, saw palmetto, multivitamins, and vitamin a&e oil. and horny goat weed but that stuff does actually work.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
pleased

I think my bones came from a horse, I'm not worried about bone loss like the t.v. says I should be.

saisinko uunissa paistettu juustoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetary
i just hate rollerblading. it's for lamewads.

and do you like rollerblading?

Old 02-24-2006, 12:14 PM
you fucking lemmings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarky Devotchka
I think my bones came from a horse, I'm not worried about bone loss like the t.v. says I should be.

but the TV NEVER lies...
never....

Quote:
...to stretch your capacity for compassion for other people? Then again, I don't think you value that very highly. Not as highly as telling it like it is.
-----
Qdrop HipHop Mix

Old 02-24-2006, 03:18 PM
doubts your commitment

the problem is too many people think they can spend $3 at Rite Aid for something and expect it to change their lives. and then too may others get sucked in by shyster companies that make ridiculous claims. just like that fucking Kevin Trudeau asshole. god, i hate him. he makes the whole industry look bad.

while it's unfortunate that so many are using hype and over-the-top claims to make money, it's really also about uneducated consumers and their eagerness to buy into ad campaigns. in the end these people may be gambling with their health.

i helped this customer last night (oh god she was gross. huge ball-in-a-sock boobs hanging down over her bellybutton on either side of it. practically under her arms. and she wouldn't fucking listen to me! i'd point directly at a product and she'd stare at the shelf and say "where is this is, i want this one" and point at her book again and i'd show it to her and she'd look at her book again and ask what the price was and i'd say your finger's over it rarrrgh. and talk about invading my personal space...) that was trying to get off antidepressants...and of course she had some book that she figured was going to save her life, and she demanded that i help her find every single supplement listed on one page. it must have been about 8 different things. she wasn't even taking a multivitamin, so i was really reluctant to let her shove a million capsules down her throat all at once. i started her off with a multi, calcium, and a fish oil, but after that i told her she really ought to try just these at once to see how they affect her and go from there. nope. she insisted upon about four different amino acids, in pretty high doses, and a few other things. i must have told her at least four times that she really shouldn't shock her system with so many different things, because, god forbid she did have a reaction to anything, she wouldn't know what did it. she just stared at me and said "are you going to help me find them or not."

sigh. so i pointed out all the products to Tubbarella and she spent over $200 on things that she probably has no clue what are actually going to do in her. that's why i'm so interested in biochemistry and nutrition...i hope to find out just what our bodies DO with what we put in it.

one thing that really irks me is people expect they can get all the necessary nutrients in ONE tablet. please. they're cramming so much into that horsepill that they can't even get the RDI, much less what you REALLY ought to take. and tablets are so difficult to absorb anyway, you might as well be sucking down metamucil. if someone reads you have to take - gasp - TWO CAPSULES! their eyes get huge and they refuse to believe that they could possibly swallow more than one small item.

OH! and don't get me started on retards that take fucking flintstones vitamins. hey idiotface! you're chewing on a piece of chalk with synthetic vitamins made for A FOUR-YEAR-OLD! you wonder why you belch them all day? BECAUSE THEY'RE PURPLE AND SHAPED LIKE FUCKING DINO! god i hate when people ask me if something like that is okay for them to take. yeah, if you weigh 40 pounds and haven't gone through puberty. retards.

anyway...

in the supplement biz, there are a lot of people just out there for money. but that's true in any industry. if you really want the right supplements for your nutritional needs, go to either a naturopath or nutritionist and figure out exactly what your lifestyle and body demand...and go to a small place with years of experience to help you figure out what YOU need and what the best product is. don't go to a drugstore, and don't go to a corporation. god, don't EVER go to GNC or vitaminshoppe or any of that shit. and don't buy the store brand. i'll be the first to admit that the house brand where i work is crap! but it's cheap, and that's what our lovely senior citizen clientle demand. for the most part, at a reputable place, you get what you pay for.

and qdrop...medical science doesn't always have every answer. everybody's different...and every body is different.

lonely as a cloud in the golden state
"the longest winter that i ever saw
was the summer that i spent..."

Last edited by cosmo105 : 02-24-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:30 PM
you fucking lemmings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo105

and qdrop...medical science doesn't always have every answer. everybody's different...and every body is different.
okay, i was with you up until that part...

what are saying? that some eastern philosophy can explain body chemistry better then an immunologist, or internal medicine doctor, or a neurologist?

Quote:
-----
Qdrop HipHop Mix

Old 02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
doubts your commitment

to some degree. maybe not better, but in a different way. i know it goes against everything we're trained, but seriously - M.D.s don't know everything. and they don't know shit about natural medicine for the most part. they just say "if it's not regulated by the fda don't take it."

what people don't realize is how much the pharmaceutical industry runs the medical industry (yes, it is an industry). and that everything you take - synthetic or natural - has a side effect. and pharmaceuticals are all about treating symptoms, not curing disease. if they did that, you wouldn't have to keep paying them every month.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Captain Obvious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdrop
what are saying? that some eastern philosophy can explain body chemistry better then an immunologist, or internal medicine doctor, or a neurologist?
What are you saying? Western medicine trumps Eastern philosophy? One billion Chinese are wrong?

Like anything, people need to realize that what work's for the test group may or may not work for them. And what they hear from their doctors might not work either.

People can't expect 1 pill to solve all their problems. We grow old, body parts start falling off. If we try to treat our bodies as temples as early as possible, and we're not predisposed to disease, there might be a chance to prevent and/or mute maladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overheard at the dinner table
You mean there is no recess in 6th grade!?

Old 02-24-2006, 04:16 PM
doubts your commitment

^prevention is far easier than a cure.

someday i'll find a cure for crohn's. someday.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Is this fun yet?

I really need some Panda bile to make me a hit with the ladies.

Quote:
...is watching the live feed, waiting for the first Chilean miner to reach the surface, wild-eyed and consumed by bloodthirst, as the rescue team unknowingly brings the zombie virus- and it's first 34 carriers- to an unsuspecting world.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:37 PM
feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdrop
"Turns out calcium isn't much help for preventing broken bones as we grow older. ... "
Great, maybe the next step is to get the dairy industry to acknowledge that actually, drinking loads of milk is in fact not all that good for us.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Captain Obvious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.peachy
Great, maybe the next step is to get the dairy industry to acknowledge that actually, drinking loads of milk is in fact not all that good for us.
That's C-R-A-Z-Y talk. Next you're going to say mother's milk is better than cow's milk?! Lies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overheard at the dinner table
You mean there is no recess in 6th grade!?

Old 02-24-2006, 08:35 PM
DANCE SUCKA!!!

some people dont understand how important vitamins are or exercise for that matter...(and im not talking about looking like a muscle head). I can find some great things at GNC and Vitamin World. For vitamins i prefer "Mega Man".

Also some people and even weightlifters dont know much at all about supplements. Most guys (training for strength and lots of mass) think that they "HAVE" to drink 3-4 protein shakes a day, with each shake containing 35-40 grams of protein. (It is recommended that each day you should consume 0.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight) What they dont understand is if they are eating lots of meat, for the protein, their daily protein intake could completely go over what is recommended. Which may cause the kidneys to "QUIT".

Most deaths in males are in cause of some type of heart failure/disease, which is caused by a lack of cardiovascular activity.

yes, i'm a know it all

Good evening, I'm Chevy Chase and you're touching yourself
Exceptional Professional

Old 02-24-2006, 08:36 PM
doubts your commitment

mega-man is crap. gnc supplements are crap. ever noticed how bright neon yellow your piss is?

Old 02-24-2006, 08:39 PM
DANCE SUCKA!!!

thats not caused my mega man, its from not eating/drinking right. Those of you with alot of yellow pee goin on, drink more water!

If you get drunk at night and wake up and piss, you have to expect your pee to be yellow

Exceptional Professional

Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 PM
doubts your commitment

what the hell are you talking about?

it's because all the nutrients are coming out of you. it's tablets. you're not absorbing any of it. your money's going down the drain.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:56 PM
doubts your commitment

why would i take those? i don't have trouble sleeping.

i'm not being hostile. i'm just a heartless bitch.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Jmoney like Newcleus

YEA

Yo money, don't chump yourself. Put that shit back on the shelf
Light rays blazin' you're out of phase and my crews amazin
We're working on the record J so stay patient.-MCA

Old 02-25-2006, 02:01 AM
DANCE SUCKA!!!

Quote:
what the hell are you talking about?

it's because all the nutrients are coming out of you. it's tablets. you're not absorbing any of it. your money's going down the drain.
No

Exceptional Professional

Old 02-25-2006, 04:31 AM
feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
No
Uh, yes. Dark yellow urine is a sign of dehydration, and is caused by the higher concentration of bilirubins in th urine. The bright flourescenty yellow piss you take about an hour or so after taking vitmins is the exceess of minerals that have not absorbed into your bloodstream, i.e., it's the colour of your money going down the toilet.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:30 AM
How It Is

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling how it ends
Ned Flanders
Old 02-25-2006, 06:05 AM

I think I have almost concluded that basically...a person's overall "heath" is genetic. A person is predisposed to having certain elements and granted vitamins and living a healthier lifestyle, i.e. not smoking and exercise etc., can help prevent the ontake of those "illnessess"...however, for the most part, it's just genetic.

And, no, I don't have any scientific data to back up my "theory"...and I'm sure there is some out there somewhere. But, just from what I've personally noticed...there seems to be a trend there, as far as, when a person looks at their parents and their grandparents, etc...they can pretty much expect to turn out the same way.

Not to slide off subject...but, like obesity, for example, is genetic...they have found a "fat gene". Now, yes, obviously, overeatting etc... does cause obesity, too. But, scientists seem to be finding genes for everything, lately...and I mean everything. And even when I look at my country bumpkin cousins from Pikeville, Kentucky...they all eat literally lard with everything. But, none of them have clogged arteries and heart problems as a result. They all seem to die from lung cancer...which is found to be genetic, as well. And most of them have never smoked a cigarette a day in their life. Infact, out of my grandfather's 12 brother's and sisters...10 of them have died from lung cancer, including my granddad. And on my father's side of the family...his father on up 3 generations...have died from heart attacks and they all were in their sixties. My uncle is a cardiologist and he said that it definately is genetic and more than likely might happen to them, as well.

Now, I know most of you all already know this. I'm basically just expressing my opinion on supplements and the market, as a whole. However, yes, it is always good to nurish your body with vitamins and some "supplements".

Vols dancer

Old 02-25-2006, 02:00 PM
packed in water

i prefer flinstone chewables.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:05 PM
doubts your commitment

Quote:
OH! and don't get me started on retards that take fucking flintstones vitamins. hey idiotface! you're chewing on a piece of chalk with synthetic vitamins made for A FOUR-YEAR-OLD! you wonder why you belch them all day? BECAUSE THEY'RE PURPLE AND SHAPED LIKE FUCKING DINO! god i hate when people ask me if something like that is okay for them to take. yeah, if you weigh 40 pounds and haven't gone through puberty. retards.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Jmoney like Newcleus

I buy extends

Yo money, don't chump yourself. Put that shit back on the shelf
Light rays blazin' you're out of phase and my crews amazin
We're working on the record J so stay patient.-MCA

Old 02-25-2006, 02:14 PM
packed in water

Quote:

that's like the hottest post ever.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
How It Is

Flintstones Chewable Morphines!

I miss Sherrif Lobo.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 AM
you fucking lemmings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdaddy
What are you saying? Western medicine trumps Eastern philosophy? One billion Chinese are wrong?
so population numbers make something right?

so a Billion Christians MUST be right about Jesus...

but wait, aren't there like...a billion muslims...

and what about the millions of Hindu's?

hmmmm.....

it's not about amount of believers...
it's about observable, quantifiable facts and studies....
proving something works or doesn't work...and understanding why.

i certainly don't think that all Eastern treatments are phony....but i think the ones that DO work have medical reasoning behind it.
i mean shit, it's not like accupuncture sends ancient ghosts into your bloodstream to battle your mis-aligned chi....

western medicine works better because it has a stronger, more logical foundation in SCIENCE...
Eastern "medicine" occasionally works due to chance...because it's lack of scientific groundings or studies.

now, as far as the corporate corruption in the western medical industry....well, yeah....that definately hinders things...

Quote:
-----
Qdrop HipHop Mix

Old 02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
same old

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I just want to mention that facts are not solid, even in science. They are not permanent, and highly respected journals of medicine are always contradicting their past assessments because data can be mistakenly collected or recorded, and there can be unexpected or unaccounted for variables in these studies. So it seems unwise to base too much faith on current studies one way or the other. Didn't the study simply claim that supplements cannot be proven to treat cure or prevent disease? It doesn't disprove any benefits entirely.

But I do think a reminder like this is important now, stupid Tom Cruise, stupid fucking Kevin Trudeau, I hate that demon. He's preying on the paranoia and desperation of sick and unhappy people, just leading them into another hopeless money pit. I mean, it's one thing to suggest alternatives but no one can say it's all proven all the time to be the one and only answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
my heart was made of diarrhea

Last edited by Nuzzolese : 02-27-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:58 PM
applies gold bond daily

my urine has been dark yellow a good bit recently

i havent ever taken anything more than your stock vitamin

Quote:
People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot.