Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 PM
The Dude minds

Default The Obama Delusion

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021902336.html

Quote:
The Obama Delusion

By Robert J. Samuelson
Wednesday, February 20, 2008; Page A17

It's hard not to be dazzled by Barack Obama. At the 2004 Democratic convention, he visited with Newsweek reporters and editors, including me. I came away deeply impressed by his intelligence, his forceful language and his apparent willingness to take positions that seemed to rise above narrow partisanship. Obama has become the Democratic presidential front-runner precisely because countless millions have formed a similar opinion. It is, I now think, mistaken.

As a journalist, I harbor serious doubt about each of the most likely nominees. But with Sens. Hillary Clinton and John McCain, I feel that I'm dealing with known quantities. They've been in the public arena for years; their views, values and temperaments have received enormous scrutiny. By contrast, newcomer Obama is largely a stage presence defined mostly by his powerful rhetoric. The trouble, at least for me, is the huge and deceptive gap between his captivating oratory and his actual views.

The subtext of Obama's campaign is that his own life narrative -- to become the first African American president, a huge milestone in the nation's journey from slavery -- can serve as a metaphor for other political stalemates. Great impasses can be broken with sufficient goodwill, intelligence and energy. "It's not about rich versus poor; young versus old; and it is not about black versus white," he says. Along with millions of others, I find this a powerful appeal.

But on inspection, the metaphor is a mirage. Repudiating racism is not a magic cure-all for the nation's ills. The task requires independent ideas, and Obama has few. If you examine his agenda, it is completely ordinary, highly partisan, not candid and mostly unresponsive to many pressing national problems.

By Obama's own moral standards, Obama fails. Americans "are tired of hearing promises made and 10-point plans proposed in the heat of a campaign only to have nothing change," he recently said. Shortly thereafter he outlined an economic plan of at least 12 points that, among other things, would:

• Provide a $1,000 tax cut for most two-earner families ($500 for singles).

• Create a $4,000 refundable tuition tax credit for every year of college.
• Expand the child-care tax credit for people earning less than $50,000 and "double spending on quality after-school programs."

• Enact an "energy plan" that would invest $150 billion in 10 years to create a "green energy sector."

Whatever one thinks of these ideas, they're standard goody-bag politics: something for everyone. They're so similar to many Clinton proposals that her campaign put out a news release accusing Obama of plagiarizing. With existing budget deficits and the costs of Obama's "universal health plan," the odds of enacting his full package are slim.

A favorite Obama line is that he will tell "the American people not just what they want to hear but what we need to know." Well, he hasn't so far. Consider the retiring baby boomers. A truth-telling Obama might say: "Spending for retirees -- mainly Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid -- is already nearly half the federal budget. Unless we curb these rising costs, we will crush our children with higher taxes. Reflecting longer life expectancies, we should gradually raise the eligibility ages for these programs and trim benefits for wealthier retirees. Both Democrats and Republicans are to blame for inaction. Waiting longer will only worsen the problem."

Instead, Obama pledges not to raise the retirement age and to "protect Social Security benefits for current and future beneficiaries." This isn't "change"; it's sanctification of the status quo. He would also exempt all retirees making less than $50,000 annually from income tax. By his math, that would provide average tax relief of $1,400 to 7 million retirees -- shifting more of the tax burden onto younger workers. Obama's main proposal for Social Security is to raise the payroll tax beyond the present $102,000 ceiling.

Political candidates routinely indulge in exaggeration, pandering, inconsistency and self-serving obscuration. Clinton and McCain do. The reason for holding Obama to a higher standard is that it's his standard and also his campaign's central theme. He has run on the vague promise of "change," but on issue after issue -- immigration, the economy, global warming -- he has offered boilerplate policies that evade the underlying causes of the stalemates. These issues remain contentious because they involve real conflicts or differences of opinion.

The contrast between his broad rhetoric and his narrow agenda is stark, and yet the media -- preoccupied with the political "horse race" -- have treated his invocation of "change" as a serious idea rather than a shallow campaign slogan. He seems to have hypnotized much of the media and the public with his eloquence and the symbolism of his life story. The result is a mass delusion that Obama is forthrightly engaging the nation's major problems when, so far, he isn't.

This article raises some great points as did McCain last night when he said:

Quote:
I will make sure Americans are not deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change that promises no more than a holiday from history and a return to the false promises and failed policies of a tired philosophy that trusts in government more than the people.
If people would actually listen to his ideas instead of being mesmerized by his platitudes they might see what a disaster his policies would be. If the stock market hasn't collapsed before he gets elected if definitely will after.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Re: The Obama Delusion

rob says

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoney$ View Post
Political candidates routinely indulge in exaggeration, pandering, inconsistency and self-serving obscuration. Clinton and McCain do.
that negates the rest of what he says.

ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
...has gone on atwixt, nay, afween the seams...

Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Peace & Love

Maybe after the last 10 years, America is finally sick of attack politics in general, which jibes well with Obama's innate appeal. Sometimes "charisma" is a synonym for "just not being a total dick."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKLqVCz8SA
I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]

Old 02-21-2008, 05:43 AM
The Dude minds

He's nothing more than a fairy-tale, man.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 AM
How It Is

Don't vote then
Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 PM
just sayin'

I think a KEY quality of having leadership abilities is the power to inspire and move people. He's clearly got it. I'm just adoring this extremely intelligent and sophisticated man right about now. ...and I will happily vote for him.

What Would Yauch Do

Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Just Do It

Good article Rob. I'm very happy knowing that there's plenty of time left for us all to see exactly who these people are and what they will/wont do when/if they get in office. I think he hit the road running a bit too fast. But,we'll see. There is still months and months to go.

Neva, put tooth picks, in yo pocket

Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 PM

the press using the word delusion is an allusion to a "dream". he's at least just as capable as gw bush going in, which isnt saying much - yet the same people in media who are doubting obama thought bush was "presidential" enough. this news story and others like it are about him being black and the delusion that they are really referring to is that of a black man being elected, not his ability and potential.

ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
...has gone on atwixt, nay, afween the seams...

Last edited by b i o n i c : 02-21-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:06 PM
The Dude minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by b i o n i c View Post
this news story and others like it are about him being black and the delusion that they are really referring to is that of a black man being elected, not his ability and potential.

LOLZ

I think the opposite side of the coin is true when it comes to Obama and race.

I think a lot of the younger voters are afraid NOT to vote for a black man because they want to show how open-minded and liberal they are.
Someone who is truley open-minded would judge him based purely on his performance, track record, and his plan and policies he would like to bring to the office of President, and when you look at him from that perspective, he's clearly not in McCain or Clinton's league,
at least not yet.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Peace & Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFenders View Post
There is still months and months to go.
I sort of doubt it.

I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]

Old 02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
anti-semite cossack sluts

Quote:
I think a lot of the younger voters are afraid NOT to vote for a black man because they want to show how open-minded and liberal they are.
Someone who is truley open-minded would judge him based purely on his performance, track record, and his plan and policies he would like to bring to the office of President, and when you look at him from that perspective, he's clearly not in McCain or Clinton's league,
at least not yet.
lol mccain? he's the biggest hypocrite of all time, making himself look like a total ass by appealing and selling out to the gop nutjob base, and flip-flopping on torture. plus sucking up to jerry falwell and all of the other agents of intolerance, as he once called them. it's pathetic how far one will go, and sell himself out, just for a shot at the presidency. it's a slap in the face to those who actually sympathized and rooted for him as he took on the radical right machine in '00. he also doesn't understand how staying in iraq is running the military into the ground, and has left america completely vulnerable and unprepared for any attack; and, that the mere presence of american troops in iraq (let alone occupying) is fanning the flames of islamic fundamentalism, ditto guantanamo, torture, no palestinian state etc.

hillary has done nothing while in the senate except pander and accept corporate money. obama has done very little as well, but at least obama has a much better chance of beating mccain than hillary does. a hillary nomination would completely motivate all conservatives and the nutjobs to come out and vote against her, even though they'd have to vote for mccain in order to do so.

meanwhile there's always the greens, who are what the democratic party were forty to sixty years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
baseball is the r&b of sports

Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 PM

yeahwho is going to love this.

i was wrong on obama's record in the senate. here is a comparison of what hillary has done for the last six years in the senate, and obama's record in both the illinois state and u.s. senate:

In her first six years she managed to author and pass into law 20 pieces of legislation. These bills can be found on the website of the Library of Congress, but to save us the trouble of looking them up, she listed them.

1- Establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site.
2- Support the goals and ideals of Better Hearing and Speech Month.
3- Recognize the Ellis Island Medal of Honor.
4- Name courthouse after Thurgood Marshall.
5- Name courthouse after James L. Watson.
6- Name post office after Jonn A. O'Shea.
7- Designate Aug. 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
8- Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
9- Honor the life and legacy of Alexander Hamilton on the bicentennial of his death.
10- Congratulate the Syracuse University Orange Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
11- Congratulate the Le Moyne College Dolphins Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
12- Establish the 225th Anniversary of the American Revolution Commemorative Program.
13- Name post office after Sergeant Riayan A. Tejeda.
14- Honor Shirley Chisholm for her service to the nation and express condolences on her death.
15- Honor John J. Downing, Brian Fahey, and Harry Ford, firefighters who lost their lives on duty.
16- Extend period of unemployment assistance to victims of 9/11.
17- Pay for city projects in response to 9/11
18- Assist landmine victims in other countries.
19- Assist family caregivers in accessing affordable respite care.
20- Designate part of the National Forest System in
Puerto Rico as protected in the wilderness preservation system.

There you have it, the Hillary legislative facts straight from the Senate records.

During his first eight years in the Illinois legislature, Obama sponsored more than 820 bills.

* 233 regarding healthcare reform
* 125 on poverty and public assistance
* 112 crime fighting bills
* 97 economic bills
* 60 human rights and anti-discrimination bills
* 21 ethics reform bills
* 15 gun control
* 6 veterans affairs and many others
* Many more miscellaneous bills

His first year in the U.S. Senate, he authored 152 bills, and co-sponsored another 427.

These include:

* Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006 - enacted.
* Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act - enacted.
* Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, passed the Senate.
* 2007 Government Ethics Bill, enacted.
* Protection Against Excessive Executive Compensation Bill, in committee.

In all, since entering the U.S. Senate, Obama has written 890 bills and co-sponsored another 1,096

link

Quote:

Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Bacardi by Night

Quote:
But it's private voting, no one knows how they vote. They could just as easily vote for who they truly want and lie to their friends or whoever is making them "afraid" to not vote for a black guy. I think more than anything, he's just appealing to younger people because they can relate to him more than a crusty old white dude who keeps talking about how we need to stay in Iraq, where their friends currently are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Alozando Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
Shit. I know shit's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we runnin' out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution that will fix everything!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Peace & Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAdrock View Post
But it's private voting, no one knows how they vote. They could just as easily vote for who they truly want and lie to their friends or whoever is making them "afraid" to not vote for a black guy. I think more than anything, he's just appealing to younger people because they can relate to him more than a crusty old white dude who keeps talking about how we need to stay in Iraq, where their friends currently are.
There's that. And just not being a total dick. Hillary and McCain have not hit a nerve with the voting public like Obama because they have and still do "condescend" rather than "include".

I feel as if Obama speaks not only for and to his supporters... he also projects the idea he is speaking with his constituency. The other candidates try this and not only is it awkward, it's disingenuous. Honestly if you think about it nobody under age 40 has much at all in common with Hillary and McCain.

Hillary's first campaign song was Celine Dion... a white Canadian Diva.

McCain was told by John Mellencamp to stop playing his music at rallies. Publicist Bob Merlis said Mellencamp told him that the situation made him uncomfortable and he couldn't imagine McCain would want to be associated with him.

Obama's playin' "99 Problems" at his rallies.

I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]

Old 02-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Just Do It

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwho View Post
Honestly if you think about it nobody under age 40 has much at all in common with Hillary and McCain.
Think harder.

Quote:
Hillary's first campaign song was Celine Dion... a white Canadian Diva.

McCain was told by John Mellencamp to stop playing his music at rallies. Publicist Bob Merlis said Mellencamp told him that the situation made him uncomfortable and he couldn't imagine McCain would want to be associated with him.

Obama's playin' "99 Problems" at his rallies.
My point exactly on how warped our society is when you nit pick campaign songs.

Relating to somebody because they are not an old crusty white dude is not cool. I'm not calling QueenAd out on this, it just goes along with my opinion that the majority of America is now warped by the media and Hollywood for the worse. It's not American Idol people. You had better check twice before you think Obama is gonna make everything dandy like candy. I prefer keeping the money I make.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Bacardi by Night

It has nothing to do with the media. I'm saying they relate to Obama better because he shares the same ideals. McCain keeps talking about Iraq and how we need to stay there, blah blah, no timetables. Well, my generation is over there fighting. I have two friends who were sent there and haven't seen their newborns yet. It's bullshit. They signed up out of high school in 2001 because they wanted to protect our country, and then they get this bullshit war which isn't protecting anything and wasting their time. People my age are against the war, because they're the ones dying. So when they hear McCain talk about how we need to stay there another 100 years, then no, they don't really relate to that.

As for the money I make, I'd rather see libraries, police officers, new roads, post offices, schools being funded...but maybe that's me being selfish.

Quote:
Shit. I know shit's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we runnin' out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution that will fix everything!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
USA

Quote:
As for the money I make, I'd rather see libraries, police officers, new roads, post offices, schools being funded...but maybe that's me being selfish.
No, thats not selfish, thats the government's job... like i think sazi said in another thread,,,, without tax dollars more bridges will collapse, like in minnesota this past year...

Old 02-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Just Do It

Yes, roads need to be built. Yes bridges should be kept up. That basic function will never stop. No matter who gets in office, that will be taken care of. Mostly on a state level. I'm happy you all make enough money to not want more. I want what I work for. I pay my taxes on the land I own. That pays for shools and roads. The money that comes outta my check shouldn't have to increase, but hey, you guys seem to think it should, and on top of that, I should feel a sense of pride knowing I just gave a chunk of my hard earned cash to the gov, who's going to build roads with it. Yeah, thanks anyway. I'll keep what's mine, or atleast I'll bitch about it.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:43 PM

well, just like reagan before him, bush has created colossal, astronomical debts, ie irresponsible tax cuts for rich people, and a stupid war that's costing hundreds of billions of dollars. and bush is borrowing the money to pay for all of this.

so, like it or not, someone is going to have to raise taxes (or at least the elite could pay their fair share) and get america out of this fiscal mess, as opposed to bush's solution and leave it up to future generations to clean up his messes.

Quote:

Old 02-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Bacardi by Night

NoFenders, I sincerely doubt you're one of the elite millionaires that will be paying for the tax rollbacks. Bush put a cut in place for the richest people in America, Obama is planning to roll that back and tax them enough to pay for what we need - taxing the people who can afford it. If you're middle or lower class, you have nothing to worry about. It's funny how it's mainly the middle class who worry the most about "tax increases" when it doesn't even apply to them. Republicans are very good at convincing normal Joe Blows that THE LIBERALS WILL STEAL ALL OF YOUR MONEY if you elect them, but that just ain't true.

Quote:

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Peace & Love

Quote:
Think harder.
Just did and am pretty damn sure I'm 100% correct.

Quote:
My point exactly on how warped our society is when you nit pick campaign songs.

Relating to somebody because they are not an old crusty white dude is not cool. I'm not calling QueenAd out on this, it just goes along with my opinion that the majority of America is now warped by the media and Hollywood for the worse. It's not American Idol people. You had better check twice before you think Obama is gonna make everything dandy like candy. I prefer keeping the money I make.
Your delusional if you think I've watched American Idol, like ever. Who the fuck is expecting anybody to make anything dandy like candy. I'm just hedging that perhaps the current world climate of killing to solve problems can become a little more contained. The biggest mistake made in most every argument about Obama supporters is they are sunny upbeat naive newcomers to the political world.

Better recheck the math. We're pressuring the competition into the corner. That's how naive we are.

I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]

Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Just Do It

Quote:
NoFenders, I sincerely doubt you're one of the elite millionaires that will be paying for the tax rollbacks. Bush put a cut in place for the richest people in America, Obama is planning to roll that back and tax them enough to pay for what we need - taxing the people who can afford it. If you're middle or lower class, you have nothing to worry about. It's funny how it's mainly the middle class who worry the most about "tax increases" when it doesn't even apply to them. Republicans are very good at convincing normal Joe Blows that THE LIBERALS WILL STEAL ALL OF YOUR MONEY if you elect them, but that just ain't true.

Umm, I've gotten incredible tax returns in the past 7 years. It was all because of a Republican. When a Dem gets in office, more of my paychek will go to the gov, and less will be returned. That's fact. No spin, no nothing. Obama has already said he'll give me a break, but he's actually cutting what I get now in half. At least he stated what he felt the middle class was "anyone who makes under 70K". That's a start. But I doubt he'll stick to that.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Just Do It

Quote:
Just did and am pretty damn sure I'm 100% correct.
I'm under 40 and think he's my best option. So, you're wrong.

Quote:
The biggest mistake made in most every argument about Obama supporters is they are sunny upbeat naive newcomers to the political world.
I don't think they're newcomers, but everything else is pretty much spot on.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Bacardi by Night

Quote:
Umm, I've gotten incredible tax returns in the past 7 years. It was all because of a Republican. When a Dem gets in office, more of my paychek will go to the gov, and less will be returned. That's fact. No spin, no nothing. Obama has already said he'll give me a break, but he's actually cutting what I get now in half. At least he stated what he felt the middle class was "anyone who makes under 70K". That's a start. But I doubt he'll stick to that.
Uh-huh. And where are you getting these "facts"? Since there's no spin, surely you can back up your claims? Because this is what I've found:

Tax Burden Shifts to the Middle, Under Bush

Obama Proposes Tax Cuts for the Middle Class and the Elderly

Quote:

Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Campus Fuckface

NoFenders must work on Wall Street and not have a mortgage because those are the only people who are benefitting under Bush.

Quote:
in the hip hop world, we call you a biter, and it's one of the most egregious things a person can do

Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 PM
The Dude minds

I have to laugh when people say they're going to pay less tax if so & so is elected. I paid the same rate when Clinton was in office as I paid when Bush was in Office, 28% and I got back very similar returns. Even if someone raised my tax 5% to a total of 33% (which wouldn't happen anyway), If I made $50k a year, that's a total of $2500 a year, or about $50 a week.

Unless you make a lot of money from investment income, like say from stocks, bonds, or some sort of dividend, or you are expecting to inherit money, the influence whoever gets elected will have on the average americans tax rate is marginal.

You should be more interested in who is going to be better for the economy and business, who's going to help the rising price of gas. I pay $50 to fill my tank now, which I have to do at least once a week.

I can tell everyone who cares to read this, my 401k fund was ridiculously successful when Clinton was in Office, and the success came to a grinding halt almost immediatly when Bush came into office. Clinton also initiated the Child Tax Credit.

Republicans standard motto is "Lower Taxes", but never tell you about inflation. I just paid $4.30 for a gallon of Milk yesterday.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Is this fun yet?

I think I would rather vote for a fairy tale and dream that for the people in power who remind us of the nightmare this world is and how they can keep us tucked in and safe while destroying the very blanket that protects us.

How sad that the feeling of hope and good things is considered a delusion to some and the current status quo is consisdered the norm and our path we must follow in order to be "free." We've had 8 years to follow that path and have only make the nightmare even worse.

Enough of the Christian Zionist. Enough of the Islamic Radicals. I'm tired of that minority winning the world from the majority.

Quote:
...is watching the live feed, waiting for the first Chilean miner to reach the surface, wild-eyed and consumed by bloodthirst, as the rescue team unknowingly brings the zombie virus- and it's first 34 carriers- to an unsuspecting world.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Bacardi by Night

Holy shit, I thought you were dead Chewy!

Quote:

Old 02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

right on brotherman
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Bill Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echewta View Post
I think I would rather vote for a fairy tale and dream that for the people in power who remind us of the nightmare this world is and how they can keep us tucked in and safe while destroying the very blanket that protects us.

How sad that the feeling of hope and good things is considered a delusion to some and the current status quo is consisdered the norm and our path we must follow in order to be "free." We've had 8 years to follow that path and have only make the nightmare even worse.

Enough of the Christian Zionist. Enough of the Islamic Radicals. I'm tired of that minority winning the world from the majority.
I love you man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echewta View Post
Bob is laying pipe. Thats about it.