Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Non-Beastie Boys > Other Music

Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 AM
BEAZTIE BOYZ #1 FANZ!

Default NAS - WHAT IT IS

The rapping is nothing special, but the beat is almost up there with Made You Look.

DJ Khalil playing the song and talking about how he did the beat.

KILLA

Your mom busted in and said, "What's that noise?"
Aw, mom you're just jealous, it's the Beas-tie-Boys!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 04:54 AM
How It Is

Default Re: NAS - WHAT IT IS

great beat.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:05 PM
adam_esetFez

The fact the headline says "Nas- First Listen New Track off Nigger!!" made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally posted by mickill
I was actually mixing the shit down for Tony and shit, then he like stepped out to grab a banana nutrament and I was like, I'ma grab me one of these here for yours truly because this shit here got ringworm.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Current Member

*Folds arms*

*nods*

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 PM
give me head till im dead

i really like that. hopefully the rest of the album sounds something like that.

but im pretty sure there will be a couple bangers and a bunch of garbage, like always.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Sheriff of Nottingham

hahaha he made it on reason. hahahaha. reason. haha.
but hey it sounds good, so that's what counts.

that sounds pretentious as hell of me- you can do some really cool things on reason, but 90% of the time you can tell was made on it. so i find it all the more impressive that his shit sounds that great coming from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padster View Post
What I find weird is when big burly men (usually from Yorkshire) call other men "love". Most of the time they don't even remember to say "no homo", it's like WTF?!?/?

Last edited by Auton : 02-25-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Current Member

There's some corny motherfuckers nodding in that crowd. I sometimes nod, but not like that. Even the old dude off to the side is having a wee go. Baby steps, though.

Auton, there's a Reason logo on the top of the screen. Is it a big deal in producing circles? I'm not familiar with this shit. Did the Beastie Boys make
good use of it? Is it the joke software? If you answer, I'll be careful to nod.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 02-25-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 AM

Cool song. This would be Nas' tenth studio album. That's a lot of music, looking back.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Sheriff of Nottingham

reason is a little synthesizer/sampling/sequencing program that runs about $400. it's kind of a toy program. when i was in high school and around that general age everybody who made beats and stuff or thought they were hot shit were all like "yeah man, i use reason" acting like it was what the pros use, like a pro version of fruityloops or something. i bought it a couple of years ago, and i still use it when i'm making demos and stuff, basically for the midi, but the fact of the matter is it's really like a toy. it even sounds like plastic, literally. 95% of the times you can spot something made on reason about 1,000 miles away, because it has this instantly identifiable, somewhat (read: extremely) cheesy sort of sound. now, i won't say professionals don't use it- obviously they do, but again, as kind of a toy. kind of like using a karaoke machine for vocals or something. again, alot of people use reason, but its a really silly little program. i heard that To The 5 Burroughs was produced mostly on it. sounds like it. we make fun of it at the recording school alot, even though we all have owned a copy at some point, and most of us, including me, still use it every once in awhile. though i refuse to use midi on any of my real stuff.

point is, you can use retarded little programs like reason to do amazing thing- it isn't the program that matters, it's the person using it. i mean, i'm on protools, but i still use acid 5.0, which is a low-grade program, but i'm comfortable on it, and i can make things that sound good on it. so, more power to people who can do shit like that on reason- i just kind of LOL pompously to myself whenever some kid acts like they're the shit because they use REEASSONNNN.

and fruityloops is still better.

Quote:
What I find weird is when big burly men (usually from Yorkshire) call other men "love". Most of the time they don't even remember to say "no homo", it's like WTF?!?/?

Last edited by Auton : 02-26-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Current Member

Cheers. I did actually nod while reading that.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 AM
BEAZTIE BOYZ #1 FANZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auton View Post
reason is a little synthesizer/sampling/sequencing program that runs about $400. it's kind of a toy program. when i was in high school and around that general age everybody who made beats and stuff or thought they were hot shit were all like "yeah man, i use reason" acting like it was what the pros use, like a pro version of fruityloops or something. i bought it a couple of years ago, and i still use it when i'm making demos and stuff, basically for the midi, but the fact of the matter is it's really like a toy. it even sounds like plastic, literally. 95% of the times you can spot something made on reason about 1,000 miles away, because it has this instantly identifiable, somewhat (read: extremely) cheesy sort of sound. now, i won't say professionals don't use it- obviously they do, but again, as kind of a toy. kind of like using a karaoke machine for vocals or something. again, alot of people use reason, but its a really silly little program. i heard that To The 5 Burroughs was produced mostly on it. sounds like it. we make fun of it at the recording school alot, even though we all have owned a copy at some point, and most of us, including me, still use it every once in awhile. though i refuse to use midi on any of my real stuff.

point is, you can use retarded little programs like reason to do amazing thing- it isn't the program that matters, it's the person using it. i mean, i'm on protools, but i still use acid 5.0, which is a low-grade program, but i'm comfortable on it, and i can make things that sound good on it. so, more power to people who can do shit like that on reason- i just kind of LOL pompously to myself whenever some kid acts like they're the shit because they use REEASSONNNN.

Glad you realized that your first comment came off a little on the pretentious side. I mean, you wouldn't have wanted for that to occur again in a second post or anything like that.

The beats for literally hundreds and thousands of classic songs were constructed on "toys" like Roland's TR series and E-mu SP 12/1200s. These weren't exactly ever considered sophisticated machines. Even for their time. Who cares what anybody uses, really? I mean, tons of producers have access to the latest and most advanced technology and still make wack ass beats all day long. Lil Jon doesn't need a 3 million dollar studio to make half of his shit.

And TT5B is a good example of how not to use Reason.

KILLA

Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 AM

I'm gonna assume that your view on reason is based on Hip-Hop production, in which case i kind of agree. In my tracks i mainly use Cubase along with some VSTi's like Guru, Battery and a few synths, but a lot of the time i like to REwire reason through cubase just because it'll be able to do that thing or make that noise (whatever it may be) that i need. But yeah i rarely use it for more than, say, 20/30% of my tracks. For dance production though i'd say its one of, if not the, best. i know the chemical brothers used it a lot.

Laurence Wells Music

Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM
How It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auton View Post

then whats the point in mentioning reason / laughing in the first place?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Smart

Arrow Re: NAS - WHAT IT IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetary View Post
I'm gonna assume that your view on reason is based on Hip-Hop production, in which case i kind of agree. In my tracks i mainly use Cubase along with some VSTi's like Guru, Battery and a few synths, but a lot of the time i like to REwire reason through cubase just because it'll be able to do that thing or make that noise (whatever it may be) that i need. But yeah i rarely use it for more than, say, 20/30% of my tracks. For dance production though i'd say its one of, if not the, best. i know the chemical brothers used it a lot.
Wow, all the pretentious assholes are coming out of the woodwork.

How about you kiss 20/30% of my ass!

I'm going off, getting paid and I don't ask why

Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Wow, all the pretentious assholes are coming out of the woodwork.

How about you kiss 20/30% of my ass!
you couldn't fit 5% of it through my door, let alone 20/30%, fat ass.

Laurence Wells Music

Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Smart

Arrow Re: NAS - WHAT IT IS

Kiss my back door!

I'm going off, getting paid and I don't ask why

Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Sheriff of Nottingham

wow, sorry for offending so many people because i think a midi program that i use is corny. why dont you all cry about it

Quote:

Old 02-26-2008, 02:47 PM

(I wasn't offended)

Laurence Wells Music

Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 PM
adam_esetFez

I was offended and hope you get banned for blaspheming something I don't understand.

And blaspheming doesn't look like a real word to me, but who am I to play God?

Quote:
I was actually mixing the shit down for Tony and shit, then he like stepped out to grab a banana nutrament and I was like, I'ma grab me one of these here for yours truly because this shit here got ringworm.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Lets get back on topic. This new Nas song is off his new album, which is titled the N word. (I won't even type out the official title) I'm on the fence on this. I mean, if there will be an insightful theme on this album regarding the title, then that's alright with me, but if he's just doing it for shock value, or for marketing, then that's a shame. But since it's Nas, I have faith it's the former.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
adam_esetFez

G-mile won't get pissed if you type out the N word.

Quote:

Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 PM

I would be pissed at myself for typing it out.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:24 PM
adam_esetFez

You're lame.

Quote:

Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
BEAZTIE BOYZ #1 FANZ!

I'm saying, I just wish that the beat for this song had been produced on an MPC or something, so I could dig it more.

I just hope that dude who produced it has a subscription to Wax Poetics, prays to Kool Herc regularly and was rocking a "J Dilla Changed My Life" t-shirt at the time. At the very least. Otherwise I just can't fux with this shit, man.

KILLA

Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Sheriff of Nottingham

why the long face and the sandy vagina, mickill?

Quote:

Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
adam_esetFez

Why you gotta bring vaginas into this?

Quote:

Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
BEAZTIE BOYZ #1 FANZ!

Auton: "Golly, I sure am jazzed about this here beat! I heard that the gent that made it used something super cool and not lame to make it! Fantawesome!"

Lupe Fiasco: "Maybe you should lighten up."

Common: "Yeah, that's corny, my dude."

Kanye: "You soundin a bit arrogant, fam. HOLLA."

Auton:

KILLA

Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Sheriff of Nottingham

haha

Quote:

Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Bill Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickill View Post
was rocking a "J Dilla Changed My Life" t-shirt at the time.
I gots me one of those shirts down at the swap-meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echewta View Post
Bob is laying pipe. Thats about it.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
BEAZTIE BOYZ #1 FANZ!

I ended up getting a "Jermaine Dupri Changed My Life" shirt cos it was like half the price.

KILLA