Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > Beastie Boys in the Press

Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Default Bob Dylan, MCA, and the unreleased Beastie Boys 'collaboration'

This released to coincide with Adam's birthday!!!! Pretty cool stuff if you didn't know before... Mike D is also so funny with his comments on negotiating with Bob Dylan!

Adam Andrew Nathaniel Yauch was born on August 5, 1964. He was a founding member of the Beastie Boys, and goes by the name of MCA, as well as (video director) "Nathanial Hörnblowér" and "Bloach".
The Beastie Boys are obviously fans of Bob Dylan. Early in the their career, the Beasties mentioned that they wanted to help Dylan out by getting him to wear a pair of Groucho Marx glasses, complete with fake nose and mustache. While this never occurred, Dylan has been referenced directly on at least three Beastie Boys tracks:

1. "3-Minute Rule", from the album Paul's Boutique, featured the following lyric: "A lot of parents like to think I'm a villain, I'm just chillin' like Bob Dylan".

2. Bob Dylan's original 1965 studio recording of "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" was sampled on the track "Finger Lickin' Good", from the album Check Your Head. In the June 1992 issue of Boston Rock, Beastie Boys Michael "Mike D" Diamond revealed the cost of sampling Dylan: "Seven hundred bucks, but he asked for two thousand dollars. I thought it was kind of fly that he asked for $2000.00, and I bartered Bob Dylan down. That's my proudest sampling deal."

3. When the album Check Your Head was re-released in 2009 , the second bonus disc featured a commentary track informing listeners that Dylan would appear on the upcoming Beastie Boys album, Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 1. It turned out that it was actually scheduled to be included on Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2. It also turned out that it was not a "collaboration", but a sample of Dylan talking about the Beasties on the "New York" episode of Theme Time Radio Hour. Host Bob Dylan played the Beasties' track "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn", from their debut, Licensed To Ill, on the show.

Here's what Dylan said about the Beasties on Theme Time:
When Mike D., MCA, and AD-Rock released "Cookie Puss" - a song about their favorite Carvel ice cream cake in 19 and 83 - everyone thought the Beastie Boys were just a flash-in-the-pan. But New Yorkers are much tougher than that, and they made it though all sorts of changes in music. Here's one of their early ones, from 19 and 86, a shout out to one of the five boroughs, "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn", The Beastie Boys . . . .
The Beasties discussed Dylan's role on the album, from Drowned In Sound, from June, 2009:

DiS: Nas and Santigold appear on the album but there’s no sign of, as previously claimed, Bob Dylan. Was that, in best Beastie Boys tradition, a cheeky fib?

Ad-Rock: Bob Dylan is guesting on ...Pt 2. He talks about us. More of a spoken word thing...
MCA: We sampled his ass.
Mike D: He has a radio show on satellite and he was speaking about Beastie Boys...
Ad-Rock: He played one of our songs and was talking about us; he’s a big fan.
Mike D: So we collaborated with that.

DiS: Is he one of your big musical heroes?
Mike D: Oh, first off, he’s one of the first b-boys, if not the first. What more to say?
Ad-Rock: Billy Joel is the fifth b-boy. That’s just a side note. Bob Dylan is one of the greatest songwriters of all time.
Mike D: When you think ‘songwriter’ you think him, Gordon Lightfoot; there’s not many others.
Ad-Rock: Carl Carlton. Carl Douglas. There’s a lot of Carls
Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 1 was scheduled to be released in September, 2009, while Pt. 2 would follow later:

DiS: If this is Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 1, then that suggests there’s another part to follow?
Mike D: Yeah. ...Pt. 2 is pretty much done. Basically we were making ...Pt 1, had too many songs, so we recorded some more songs. Which sounds bizarre but it actually worked out, because it made it clear to us which songs were going to be on ...Pt 1. Then we had this whole other album of songs: ...Pt 2. ...Pt 1’s going to be your regular CD in the stores and to download, but ...Pt 2 is going to be released in...we’re still figuring it out, but a different way. More of a 2009 style.
Ad-Rock: MP3s could just rain from the sky.
Mike D: That could be it. Or you could get in the shower one day and, boom, all of a sudden you’re showered with MP3s. Or we might send people a seven-inch every few weeks, so you have a whole box set.
The whole project was delayed, however, when Yauch announced, in July 2009, that he had cancer. Soon after, Yauch announced he was "hopeful" after his surgery, which successfully removed a cancerous tumor from his left salivary gland. The albums and all tours were postponed. Yauch expected Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 1 to be out "in the first half of next year." However, as of this date, parts one and two remain unreleased.

Read the entire thing at

http://www.examiner.com/x-21829-Bob-Dylan-Examiner~y2010m8d4-Bob-Dylan-MCA-and-the-Beastie-Boys

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Bob Dylan, MCA, and the unreleased Beastie Boys 'collaboration'

posted last year, file included

http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showt...ight=bob+dylan
Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 PM

OH sorry wasn't on the board last year lol.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
There is only passion.

still, JoLovesMCA, you are easily becoming one of the most industrious Modern Fans of the boys. they should sample your ass on the next album! seriously, thanks for all your hard work on your site, your Twitter and here. i feel like with you i can just rest easy knowing all the newest in news is coming my way.

Oxtail, rice and peas, and ginger beer.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acamus View Post
still, JoLovesMCA, you are easily becoming one of the most industrious Modern Fans of the boys. they should sample your ass on the next album! seriously, thanks for all your hard work on your site, your Twitter and here. i feel like with you i can just rest easy knowing all the newest in news is coming my way.
yes I agree, I enjoy reading your posts.you seem like a really great person,cos you can get some real shits on these boards.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
Ok...but you've been a fan a long time, right? So did you just find this messageboard recently? Because you seem like a hardcore fan that knows a lot and have gone 0 to 60 in 2 seconds flat on this board. Just curious...

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acamus View Post
Oh my thanks for the comment. cool man! I don't know I always wanted to do some news on the bb's but I've run so many other fan-sites so I never had time. I decided to take a break from commitments and make time though and with twitter fairly new and easy to use I thought it might be cool to start there. Plus I've had all of these BB photos just sitting collecting dust. SHAME I didn't get those online sooner either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
Ok...but you've been a fan a long time, right? So did you just find this messageboard recently? Because you seem like a hardcore fan that knows a lot and have gone 0 to 60 in 2 seconds flat on this board. Just curious...
I always knew of the board lol and I did register but it always went to SPAM and I never pushed to join really. I did push this time. Had to contact BeastieMixes to help me get in touch with Minton!.... I joined a Beastie Boys fan-page on face-book eons ago and spent all of my time on there. So no I didn't keep up with things on this board but now I am and I am glad to be doing so.

But yes I admit I am pretty obsessed with them, definitely a hard-core fan. My best friend is too but she works so much she never has time to come online. It works out perfectly because back in the day we'd go to all of their shows together.

Last edited by JoLovesMCA : 08-12-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
no problem i think you're tops and i like your twitter .

i thought you needed to hear that sample (click preslisten track) so i put the term "bob dylan" into the search engine...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turchinator View Post
no problem i think you're tops and i like your twitter .

i thought you needed to hear that sample (click preslisten track) so i put the term "bob dylan" into the search engine...
Got it, thanks for the track link!!!