Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Mike D is a legend.

Default Mario C. talks about unreleased material

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/bea...studio_1344978

Quote:
The group's long-term producer Mario C - who worked with them on four albums - said: "The guys told me that he wanted to record. So they hung out and did what they used to do - just lay it down and have fun.

"He would want people to hear it if it was good. I'm not sure what his voice was sounding like at that point. I'm sure the guys would be very tasteful in using anything. If it was supposed to be heard and it's appropriate, then it will happen."

There has also been speculation that a Beastie Boys compilation of unreleased tracks could be released and the producer confirmed there are some unheard songs from his sessions with the 'Intergalactic' hitmakers.

He added to NME magazine: "There was a lot of material recorded so there is a possibility of something coming out. I actually went through it all recently and checked out a few things that weren't used for 'Hello Nasty' and there's definitely two or three extra tracks that didn't get utilized that could be utilised."

However, Mario insists any recordings won't be released in the near future.
He added: "We'll take it slowly. No one's thinking of doing anything right away. It's too soon."

...one might say that the Beastie Boy "Fight for Your Right to Party" guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.
-Adam Horovitz

Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Hero

Default Re: Mario C. talks about unreleased material

I'm wit it.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
crazy sniffable

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Adrock

Wow. Going to be craving those 3 Hello fucking Nasty ! songs for a loooooooooong time.

Back On The Mic Its The Anti-Depressor

www.youtube.com/lauriehammy

Old 06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
High Plains Drifter

OK so now there's more vault material from CYH, IC & HN PLUS whatever is HSCP1 PLUS the last recording sessions.

This is very promising. Hopefully it is all Hip Hop tracks.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Current Member

Weird. Now it feels like Mario's band. I know that's not what is actually happening, but it has a George Martin, 'estate' feeling. Weird. The leader is gone.

While the Boys grieve I guess he's best placed, we know he loves and respects their art. It's just weird to see him talking like this. They spent as long working without him as they did with him (maybe more), yet here he is as the custodian.

I think they might have recorded some hardcore music, and Adrock said it was also "dumb stuff, hardcore rap". I bet it's probably kind of good, but it remains to be seen what is done with it. I guess it's the stuff they expected they'd have made when he recovered.

I think there are probably any number of permutations an eventual release could take. HSC1 tracks, mixed with the final sessions. I'd like to hear the HSC1 stuff, regardless of how long in tooth it would now be. Now that we're on the 'legacy' tip, even those unreleased HN tracks will probably sound fresh, and on and on even further back into the vault.

A separate release of chronolgically sequenced unreleased stuff starting with Depserado. I don't know.

Weird. This hurts.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

yeah. it's all too weird and too soon to rush material from the Vault that never would have seen the light of day.

I like the HSC1 and November '11 Sessions as one (perhaps double) album.

maybe an Anthology Part 2 with hits and standouts from TT5B, Mix Up, HSC2. you could throw in the unreleased Nasty tracks and a new hardcore track on that one for another double disc.

that's all we need methinks.

but I do wonder if there are any more hip hop bangers left.

it would be so great to hear MCA's final rhymes.

it would be powerful and painful

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Adrock

HSC 1 track are what id love to hear the most. Im so happy they did Hot Sauce, it really is probably my fav Beastie album. It really showed just how good they are of rappers.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Mike D is a legend.

Here's the link to the original NME interview, which I couldn't find yesterday:

http://www.nme.com/news/beastie-boys--2/64324

Quote:
"There's a handful of extra stuff from each record apart from 'Paul's Boutique'"

...one might say that the Beastie Boy "Fight for Your Right to Party" guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.
-Adam Horovitz

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post

A separate release of chronolgically sequenced unreleased stuff starting with Desperado.
I wish they would release that rumored studio version of Desperado too(if it currently exists). But I'm not getting my hopes up due to the use of the word "faggot". I don't think anyone that listens to it now is gonna take it the wrong way, but they might not think of it that way.That grainy version may be the best version we'll ever have (outside of the tougher than leather clips).

But yeah, Mario C's comments are very exciting

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post

As long as there are vocals of MCA rhyming, they can be combined with respectable/average production to easily create more Hip Hop bangers

-Busta Rhymes

Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 PM
crazy sniffable

anyone willing to post that Mario C interview in it's entirety? do we get nme in the US? i dont even know...

Old 06-15-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Weird. Now it feels like Mario's band. I know that's not what is actually happening, but it has a George Martin, 'estate' feeling. Weird. The leader is gone.

While the Boys grieve I guess he's best placed, we know he loves and respects their art. It's just weird to see him talking like this. They spent as long working without him as they did with him (maybe more), yet here he is as the custodian.

I think they might have recorded some hardcore music, and Adrock said it was also "dumb stuff, hardcore rap". I bet it's probably kind of good, but it remains to be seen what is done with it. I guess it's the stuff they expected they'd have made when he recovered.

I think there are probably any number of permutations an eventual release could take. HSC1 tracks, mixed with the final sessions. I'd like to hear the HSC1 stuff, regardless of how long in tooth it would now be. Now that we're on the 'legacy' tip, even those unreleased HN tracks will probably sound fresh, and on and on even further back into the vault.

A separate release of chronolgically sequenced unreleased stuff starting with Depserado. I don't know.

Weird. This hurts.
Over all, I trust Mario C. though. He's the person most in sync with what the Beastie Boys are post LTI that isn't officially in the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
yeah. it's all too weird and too soon to rush material from the Vault that never would have seen the light of day.

I like the HSC1 and November '11 Sessions as one (perhaps double) album.

maybe an Anthology Part 2 with hits and standouts from TT5B, Mix Up, HSC2. you could throw in the unreleased Nasty tracks and a new hardcore track on that one for another double disc.

that's all we need methinks.

it would be so great to hear MCA's final rhymes.

it would be powerful and painful
I want any new songs to be on solo releases, not mixed with tracks already on albums. I think that would be the best option to go with. I want to have completely new Beastie Boys tapes. Selfish for me to say, but that's what I want as a fan.

I think it's also possible that a few new tracks could be recorded to flesh out new releases. I mean, I woudln't expect them to want to do much at all. But maybe finishing some tracks that need work or letting Mix Master Mike have a track or something like he does on Hello Nasty. I wouldn't expect them to ever make an album that is void of MCA's input though.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
anyone willing to post that Mario C interview in it's entirety? do we get nme in the US? i dont even know...
NME is a British publication. Always gotta go to e-bay for it. I don’t mind buying it and scanning it.

Mario C will keep it clean. I trust him. And this is all material with MCA which I am sure will please the fans. But it's going to suck not having MCA's creative input with future releases. :/

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
NME is a British publication. Always gotta go to e-bay for it. I don’t mind buying it and scanning it.

Mario C will keep it clean. I trust him. And this is all material with MCA which I am sure will please the fans. But it's going to suck not having MCA's creative input with future releases. :/
Seriously, he always had the coolest ideas for releases. We probably wouldn't have gotten the Hot Sauce Blu-Ray or the video anthology (and if we did they probably wouldn't be nearly as cool) if he hadn't been around.

The idea of releasing unreleased material is neat and all but my excitement for this is like 1/100th what it would have been a few years ago...

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM

Judging by the lackluster sales of SOLID GOLD HITS, THE MIX UP, and HSC2, there's no way those greedy bastards at Capitol Records won't release something. The last album that went at least gold was TT5B, and that was 8 years ago. I'm sure we will see something released before the end of the year.

I have faith that Mario C will make sure it will be a quality release.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 PM
crazy sniffable

im thrilled to have mario back in the fold. I just trust him.

that's my opinion at least.

Last edited by Brother McDuff : 06-16-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 PM

I wouldn't get over-excited about any unreleased stuff that comes out. I mean, it might be interesting for the hardcore junkies, but 99% of the time, stuff that comes out after a band's career ends is stuff that just doesn't hold up, compared to what they released during. If they thought it was really really good, they would have put it out already. And they certainly know better than we do.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Adrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
I wouldn't get over-excited about any unreleased stuff that comes out. I mean, it might be interesting for the hardcore junkies, but 99% of the time, stuff that comes out after a band's career ends is stuff that just doesn't hold up, compared to what they released during. If they thought it was really really good, they would have put it out already. And they certainly know better than we do.
But every single person can like differant stuff. Look at some of the Beastie's B-Sides. TT5B B-Sides especialy are to me 10/10. An "The Vibes" is one of my fav Beastie songs.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 AM
PhD In Parapsychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_hammy View Post
But every single person can like differant stuff. Look at some of the Beastie's B-Sides. TT5B B-Sides especialy are to me 10/10. An "The Vibes" is one of my fav Beastie songs.
True but sometimes b-sides are recorded after the album was released. Skills To Pay The Bills is one of my top 5, but it was recorded after Check Your Head was released. I totally see what Stooges is saying, I mean for any pre-99 stuff they've already had two opportunities to release more stuff (the Anthology & the remasters) and for the most part, they didn't. But on the other hand This Government Needs a Tune Up is a track they never intended on releasing as far as I know, and it is pure awesome.

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 06-16-2012, 12:19 PM
crazy sniffable

b-sides give the listener a refreshingly different perspective into the creative process, in my opinion. i find they allow a much wider view of the artist's output. juxtaposed along the hits and the misses, they're the jams they may feel self-conscious about, or the jams that were made in transition between records, or the jams that they all couldn't agree on for album inclusion, or the ones they thought were good but not "good enough", etc. They're a dynamic addition to any valid recording artist's catalogue. very telling stuff.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAlabama View Post
Judging by the lackluster sales of SOLID GOLD HITS, THE MIX UP, and HSC2, there's no way those greedy bastards at Capitol Records won't release something. The last album that went at least gold was TT5B, and that was 8 years ago. I'm sure we will see something released before the end of the year.

I have faith that Mario C will make sure it will be a quality release.
TT5B is platinum. Solid Gold Hits went gold (ironically).

And this is the Beastie Boys. I'm sure the tracks we haven't heard are great. In certain cases, bands may leave tracks off for other reasons like album length or overall theming.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalon X View Post
TT5B is platinum. Solid Gold Hits went gold (ironically).

1) I said the last album that went "at least gold" was TT5B. Platinum = "at least gold."

2) Solid Gold Hits was certified gold because it included a dvd. It was classified as a "long form video". For a long form video to be considered gold, it would have to have sales of only 50,000. For a regular album to be certified gold it would have to sell 500,000. There's a big difference between 50,000 and 500,000.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Adrock

Every "Hip Hop" Beastie's B-Side/Random release I have loved. It was cool to hear those HN remastered songs/instrumentals but the Hip Hop songs have all been really top notch to me. Love Yauch's verse on that "Biz Grasshipper Experiment". I know for artists they dont want to release stuff they personaly think is wack but id say 90% of fans would rather see it released than not released.
Kind of works with me when im making videos. I cut out a lot of bad footage but then others sometimes say that the stuff I cut out is the BEST stuff so yeah its weird I dunno. But iv loved every Beastie random release an I think most fans have.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM
You hear that fkn brass?

They can take as long as they fucking feel like! Im just ECSTATIC to read that there is material! Omfg. Day maker.

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 PM

I am happy that this interview happened because it seemed like it was taken straight off these boards, and I think it would be cool if they released a couple/few of songs from each cd /era all on one without really going into detail about when it was actually recorded.

Also, Thanks Mario C for doing the interview!
BTW... can you rap?

Last edited by benchillin : 06-18-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: then of course, do it again until the vault was emptied
Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Current Member

I'm not even happy at all about it, but that will pass.

It would be dope to release something that sounds like a mixtape. Unused instros, layered with unused verses, leave what works song-wise intact but fuck with the off-cuts in a major way. I sorta hear that First Serve mixtape, when I think of it. Big upended unused bass solos, reams of weird shit, mashed with reams of weird shit.

Still holding out for HSC 1. Maybe that belongs in a non-Mario thread, since he had fuck all to do with them for so long, and they proved on part 2 that they don't need anyone.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 AM
You hear that fkn brass?

Quote:
I'm not even happy at all about it, but that will pass.

It would be dope to release something that sounds like a mixtape. Unused instros, layered with unused verses, leave what works song-wise intact but fuck with the off-cuts in a major way. I sorta hear that First Serve mixtape, when I think of it. Big upended unused bass solos, reams of weird shit, mashed with reams of weird shit.

Still holding out for HSC 1. Maybe that belongs in a non-Mario thread, since he had fuck all to do with them for so long, and they proved on part 2 that they don't need anyone.
WORD

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
cyborg

I hope he's referring to the rumoured "submarine" tracks during the Hello Nasty era.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
"submarine" tracks
i read that as i was listening to Hail Sagan (special K)

check it out, alot sounds underwater..